I have a problem with Emsisoft. I changed the behavior blocker detection settings to Alert. the problem is Emsisoft gives me the options to decide most of the times but sometimes it automatic detects and quarantines the threat with notification in the right center of the screen. I want to know why is this happening?

Thanks in advance.

When you get a threat detected and something quarantined, is it the Behaviour Blocker that's detecting it?  Does the log entry tell you specifically why the items are being quarantined?

Apart from the Behaviour Blocker's settings, which is maybe where you've set Alert, there is also an option in Settings - Advanced which determines whether EAM will check online to see whether programs that might be bad have a decent reputation or not.  You can also choose what will then happen if that check thinks a file is in fact good, or if it is in fact bad.  You don't absolutely have to let EAM quarantine things, if you're happier to deal with them yourself.

6 hours ago, IslamCR7 said:

the problem is Emsisoft gives me the options to decide most of the times but sometimes it automatic detects and quarantines the threat with notification in the right center of the screen. I want to know why is this happening?

The alert setting only applies to the Behavior Blocker. The File Guard will still automatically quarantine anything that the Anti-Virus engines used by Emsisoft Anti-Malware detect as malicious or potentially unwanted.

Note that the Behavior Blocker exists as a backup for the File Guard, and only takes action for files that are unknown. Emsisoft Anti-Malware isn't intended to only do behavioral detection, nor is it intended to function like a HIPS (Host-based Intrusion Prevention System) which asks the user about everything.

13 hours ago, GT500 said:

The alert setting only applies to the Behavior Blocker. The File Guard will still automatically quarantine anything that the Anti-Virus engines used by Emsisoft Anti-Malware detect as malicious or potentially unwanted.

File Guard has "Alert" options in two places:  Malware detections, PUP detections.  It's not necessary to have File Guard quarantine anything; I do not let it do so.

23 hours ago, IslamCR7 said:

I changed everything to Alert but i found out that the detection wasn'tn't related to the behavior blocker. It was related related to bad reputation.

The settings for reputation are in the main settings under Advanced.

image.png

5 hours ago, GT500 said:

The settings for reputation are in the main settings under Advanced.

image.png

So if i unchecked the second option "Automatically quarantine programs with bad reputation", it will give me the options to decide or it will not work at all.

18 hours ago, IslamCR7 said:

So if i unchecked the second option "Automatically quarantine programs with bad reputation", it will give me the options to decide or it will not work at all.

If you disable "Automatically quarantine programs with bad reputation" then the Behavior Blocker will display an alert for known bad programs rather than taking automatic action.

• Thanks 1
36 minutes ago, GT500 said:

If you disable "Automatically quarantine programs with bad reputation" then the Behavior Blocker will display an alert for known bad programs rather than taking automatic action.

Thank you very much for your help.