Read-Only Access Broken in EAM 2021.5

We use the management console to set all our domain PC users to "read-only" access level (admin group AND normal users alike), so that users cannot modify any UI settings or dismiss any warning dialogs. In Version 2021.5, this setting/policy is broken. All program settings can be accessed in the UI without being prompted for the EAM admin password, and the checkboxes etc. in the settings section are not grayed out anymore (i.e. can be clicked/modified at any time). Please note that the user's permissions are still correctly listed as "read-only access" under Settings -> Permissions in the UI, but the access level is not enforced correctly. With 2021.4, behavior is as expected (settings grayed out, prompt for EAM admin password appears as expected).

I can easily reproduce this behavior by switching back and forth between delayed branch (2021.4) and stable branch (2021.5). Switch to 2021.5, read-only-access breaks, switch back to 2021.4, everything is OK again.

Please do not promote 2021.5 to delayed branch before this is fixed (we use delayed branch on all PCs), or skip 2021.05 altogether for delayed branch. We rely on our users not being able to mess with settings and/or dismiss any warning dialogs. Promoting 2021.5 to delayed branch and breaking read-only access would considerably weaken our company's security level.

Thanks 😊 and best regards 

Raynor

PS: Please stop messing with the read only access policy, if I remember correctly, this is the second time this setting breaks, the first time was two years ago (or so) 😋

• Raynor changed the title to Read-Only Access Broken in EAM 2021.5

Hi @Raynor

Sorry to hear that and i can assure you this is a rare issue.
We are unable to replicate this.

On 5/21/2021 at 10:17 PM, Raynor said:

I can easily reproduce this behavior by switching back and forth between delayed branch (2021.4) and stable branch (2021.5). Switch to 2021.5, read-only-access breaks, switch back to 2021.4, everything is OK again.

could you enable debug logging on a machine and replicate the issue as you described, disable logging and send me logs from \programDATA\emsisoft\logs

Thanks