Sign in to follow this  
Polypro

Run Safer Green Border

Hello,

Thank you for providing such powerful software in your free version. The only problem I am having, is that when I mark Firefox.exe to Run Safer, it doesn't always have the green border (the option is checked). When I open it from OA's interface, it is there, but when I open it from a shortcut in the task bar...sometimes it's there...sometimes it's not. Is it still protected? I am on Win7.

Thanks,

P

If you wanted to verify whether Firefox was still running safer when you see it without the green border you could download Process Explorer from SysInternals. In Process Explorer, locate Firefox.exe, right click and choose "Properties" and then go to the Security tab and look for BUILTIN\Administrators. If it says "Deny, Owner" next to this, then the program is running with limited rights at this time. To confirm this you can also check the box below: If "SeChangeNotifyPrivilege" is the only privilege that is listed, then Firefox is running safer :)

If you wanted to verify whether Firefox was still running safer when you see it without the green border you could download Process Explorer from SysInternals. In Process Explorer, locate Firefox.exe, right click and choose "Properties" and then go to the Security tab and look for BUILTIN\Administrators. If it says "Deny, Owner" next to this, then the program is running with limited rights at this time. To confirm this you can also check the box below: If "SeChangeNotifyPrivilege" is the only privilege that is listed, then Firefox is running safer :)

Cat, I see the info as you posted in the box (below) that you mentioned.

However, in BUILTIN\Users it says MANDATORY. Is this also as it should be?

Thanks!

Cat, I see the info as you posted in the box (below) that you mentioned.

Thanks!

I've never seen "MANDATORY" next to "BUILTIN\Users" myself. If the program is set to RunSafer, it shows "Owner, Deny" and if the program is running normal, it just shows "Owner". I guess maybe it could be different depending on the O/S and possibly UAC. I don't have anything later than XP to check myself (although I gather from other people that it was the same with Vista, not positive about Windows 7) but maybe someone else who does can comment.

I've never seen "MANDATORY" next to "BUILTIN\Users" myself. If the program is set to RunSafer, it shows "Owner, Deny" and if the program is running normal, it just shows "Owner". I guess maybe it could be different depending on the O/S and possibly UAC. I don't have anything later than XP to check myself (although I gather from other people that it was the same with Vista, not positive about Windows 7) but maybe someone else who does can comment.

Thanks, Cat.

I should have mentioned that I run XP Pro SP3 (and don't run a limited account).

I do have Firefox and all my other internet facing apps set to "Run Safer" within OA Premium.

(The green border does show when I open the browser outside of Sandboxie.

EDITED TO ADD:

If I start Firefox outside of Sandboxie, then I see the settings exactly as you posted, Cat, (along with the BUILTIN\Users entry on the next line).

When started within Sandboxie, the BUILTIN\Admin entry is not present, only the BUILTIN\Users is displayed.

So, that particular anomaly appears to be directly related to how Sandboxie interacts with the browser. (The bottom box contains the same message in both instances, however.)

So, it appears that everything is operating properly.

Thanks, Cat.

I should have mentioned that I run XP Pro SP3 (and don't run a limited account).

I do have Firefox and all my other internet facing apps set to "Run Safer" within OA Premium.

(The green border does show when I open the browser outside of Sandboxie.

I'm not sure if you checked these details while running inside Sandboxie or outside of it. If you checked when running inside Sandboxie, then I imagine it's something to do with how Sandboxie works. As far as I know, RunSafer still works inside Sandboxie; Sandboxie just prevents OA from displaying it's green border on any sandboxed processes.

XP SP3

OA Free, no Sandboxie.

FF is set to Run Safer.

I have the same line of the OP: BUILTIN\Users - MANDATORY

Perhaps, it is normal...

Hi CP,

I attached a couple of pictures for the FF settings under W7x64, with and without Run Safer. UAC is set to lowest level (Never Notify).

Hi CP,

I attached a couple of pictures for the FF settings under W7x64, with and without Run Safer. UAC is set to lowest level (Never Notify).

Thanks Ed :) Looks like it's showing up the same for you on W7x64 as it does for me on XP. Your screenshots are identical to some I've seen taken on Vista in the past with the same settings also.

Thanks Ed :) Looks like it's showing up the same for you on W7x64 as it does for me on XP.

Actually in XP we should see "Deny, Owner" and not only "Deny" (W7x64) next to BUILTIN\Administrators... Am I wrong on this?

Could you confirm that it is normal to see "MANDATORY" next to "BUILTIN\Users" in XP if the program is set to RunSafer?

Actually in XP we should see "Deny, Owner" and not only "Deny" (W7x64) next to BUILTIN\Administrators... Am I wrong on this?

Yes, there's a small difference in wording between the different O/S's but it's referring to the same thing :)

Could you confirm that it is normal to see "MANDATORY" next to "BUILTIN\Users" in XP if the program is set to RunSafer?

I'm not sure why you were looking at this entry though? BUILTIN\Users will display "MANDATORY" whether the program is set to Run Safer or not so it's not possible to determine whether RunSafer is working based on this entry. I realise my earlier post said something different; I got confused and was referring to the original entry I mentioned to the OP instead of the one Blues asked about. Sorry for this confusion, my bad.

Thank you very much, catprincess : )

Yes, there's a small difference in wording between the different O/S's but it's referring to the same thing :)

Ah, sorry - I thought the entry posted by sded was exactly the same also for your OS :/

Cheers,

N.