XIII

Windows 7 SP1

Just installed Windows 7 SP1. EAM complained about several files that changed. Although technically correct, shouldn't EAM just know about SP1 and allow the changes if the new file hashes match?

I saw no popups during SP1 installation. But what has bothered me: I wanted to disable and close Anti-Malware before the installation (as recommended by Microsoft) so I closed it (with the captcha).

During the installation I suddenly noticed that Anti-Malware still was running. I checked taskmanager and it was the "a2service.exe"-process with ~40-50%. So I checked the ressource-manager and I saw that AM was scanning all the thousand of "manifest"-files which the SP1-installer extracted. I have no slow machine (and actually a quite fast harddrive) but this really took about 1 1/2 hours (and this was only the "online"-part, the part after the reboot took another 10min).

So my advice to you: Turn Anti-Malware off before you install the SP1-Update.

And my question to Emsisoft: How to turn AM completely off? Do I need to stop the service manually afterwards?

I saw no popups during SP1 installation.

Probably (most likely) you were not running EAM in Paranoid Mode

Unfortunately, XIII did not mention that

But I can confirm if the said mode is set you will have those alerts and as Fabian posted that is absolutely correct & fine

...But what has bothered me: I wanted to disable and close Anti-Malware before the installation (as recommended by Microsoft) so I closed it (with the captcha).

Do not ever believe in all "things" MS "recommend" ;)

...During the installation I suddenly noticed that Anti-Malware still was running. I checked taskmanager and it was the "a2service.exe"-process with ~40-50%. So I checked the ressource-manager and I saw that AM was scanning all the thousand of "manifest"-files which the SP1-installer extracted...

That should not be the case. I tried that with different and very important MS patches/installations

Nothing like that. If the real-time of EAM was properly shutdown, the service sure will still run, but nothing is "scanned" and/or "~40-50%" use was noticed here. Strange

Please provide more info re: the matter.

I have no slow machine (and actually a quite fast harddrive) but this really took about 1 1/2 hours (and this was only the "online"-part, the part after the reboot took another 10min).

It took less than 4 minutes here to update SP1 + 2 optional updates, like MS Mouse and stuff. 3 updates ; 2 optional. I installed all (Asus laptop win7 x64)

I confirmed just 2 EAM pop-ups durin the installation (remember EAM here is Paranoid :))

The Reboot and applying the changes by MS indeed took around 7-8 minutes

So my advice to you: Turn Anti-Malware off before you install the SP1-Update.

No need for that - 100%

And my question to Emsisoft: How to turn AM completely off? Do I need to stop the service manually afterwards?

I'm sure that the developers will reply

, but my answer is - No, you do not need to disable a2service during/rather prior to such & similar operations... despite you can

My regards

If you have the option enabled to scan files even if no user is logged on you do need to stop the service as well.

If you have the option enabled to scan files even if no user is logged on you do need to stop the service as well.

Thanks for the clarification.

That specific option was disabled from the very beginning since its introduction.

No additional info was available (as far as I know) re: "scanning files" in conjunction with the said feature

My regards

Thx for your fast response.

Probably (most likely) you were not running EAM in Paranoid Mode

Yep, I didn't.

Ah, well ok. That option is enabled here.