I am at a loss with this Administrator Password thing

I use Emsisoft Anti-Malware Home. Have done so for a very long time without any issues.

Recently any programs I try to install on my computer Emsisoft will quarantine the program (.exe folder), so I go in the Quarantine section and click the Restore button and i was able to carry on with installation.

However this last week I started getting a windowed message Restricted Access..see image

EIQJ7sMJD5.jpg.8e004e910bc85c83fefee997ac24d6d5.jpg

Now I have never sat this password up and I do not know what the password is. I am also getting this Restricted Access message even if I try to do anything with my Emsisoft such as adjusting settings and so forth. Basically I am stuck in limbo.

I have been in touch with the Support team and they also seem to be lost as to why this is happening.

I am at the end of my tatter with this thing, just recently I have spent a good deal of money purchasing a program that I cannot install because Emsisoft hijacks the installation categorizing it as malware and puts it in quarantine from which I cannot take it out because of this Restriction Access that I have no password for.

Please HELP..somebody

I'm sorry to hear about this problem. Unfortunately I cannot help you with this password issue (and I suggest you refer back to your support ticket for an update on that), however in regards to the alerts you are getting, you can submit these directly from quarantine using the False Detection button so we can whitelist them and you can use the program that is getting blocked.

@fly60  you said: "Now I have never sat this password up and I do not know what the password is."

It's an optional feature that can be defined within the EAM GUI, when you are logged-on to Windows as an Admin user.  It's not something that makes much sense to define if you are the only person who uses your machine, but if - say - it is shared between family members, and whoever set-up EAM wants settings not to be altered by other peope, then it does make sense. 

Are you the person who set-up EAM?

If all set-up was done by you, do you keep notes on what options you choose and why you do that?  It strikes me that as you say you don't know what this password is, that it's not impossible that - while using EAM when logged-in as an Admin - you might have defined a password thinking EAM was asking for something else, eg the Admin id's login password?  Possibly, if you kept notes, you'd know you'd done it.

To turn the password off you'd have to login as an Admin id, then go to Settings - Permissions, then explore the options.  I've never defined a password so don't know how you turn one off.  It's possible that that can't be done without specifying the value, which maybe/probably you don't know.  But if you thought EAM was asking for - say - the Admin user's login password, it might be that.

ALTERNATIVELY the password prompt you are seeing might be being shown by mistake?  My notes tell me that EAM always starts off offering restricted access to non-Admin users and full access to Admin ones.  In this situation parts of the GUI seen by non-Admin users are greyed-out.  Is it possible that you experienced that then read that Permissions (and a password) were required to grant full access to a non-Admin user?  If so, that's not the case.  It IS possible for a non-Admin user to have full access, without one also needing to define a password.  One logs in as Admin, goes to Settings - Permissions, then changes the level of access a specific user is entitled to from Basic to Full.  It is not necessary also to define a password.  Even so, turning off a password if you don't know what its value is, might be impossible.

You can reset Emsisoft Anti-Malware's settings, including the password, in one of two ways:

• If you have a workspace and your machine is managed: Click on the machine in the workspace at MyEmsisoft, and you can remove the password directly.

• If you don't: Restart the computer in safe mode and delete this file: C:\Program Files\Emsisoft Anti-Malware\a2settings.ini, then restart normally. The password will be gone.

Ok an update of this issue. Last night I managed to uninstall Emsisoft out of my system

I kept on inputting my past passwords one at a time hoping one would work.

Well guess what one of my passwords did eventually work and proceeded to uninstall Emsisoft. I have now reinstalled Emsisoft and happy to say all seems well.

So it all indicates that I did install a password after all but simply forgot about it most probabbly due to the fact that Emsisoft is doing its job and hardly have to go in it, except for those pesty quarantine instances that started to occur recently.

I thank all those who commented here and wish you all well.