jjb2011

Avast Sandboxes versus "Run Safer"

I have been using Avast 6 with OA Free. I like the "Run Safer" feature lacking in other programs.

Now that Avast has Sandbox and Auto Sandbox do I need to tick "Run Safer" option to lower permission rights on browsers? Before any one says "extra layers can''t hurt...," well, they can hurt performance (one reason why I know so many people who have switched to Mac because of the antimalware performance hit, not to mention the malware in the first place).

Avast Sandbox + Auto Sandbox at least as good as "Run Safer"? Redundancy? (I know they do somewhat different things but the point is -- can I do without "Run Safer" and simply sandbox my browsers?). Plus I read that malware is moving to user-mode as well.

Thanks!

PS: When I run my browsers (FF, Chrome) Sandboxed, the green border no longer appears. In fact, since Avast 6 when I run them UN-sandboxed, the OA Green Border is NOT THERE? Is there a conflict??

In fact, since Avast 6 when I run them UN-sandboxed, the OA Green Border is NOT THERE? Is there a conflict??

As far as I know auto-sanboxed applications have red border since Avast!6 - so the OA Green Border should still be present with un-sanboxed applications... (However, I run Avast! Free and I only have Autosanbox feature)

Regards,

N.

The choice I think is really personal preference.

As you can see from my signature, I run both OA++ and Avast 6. I have used both (Sandbox & Run Safer). I don't think one is better then the other. And,I don't think it's necessary to run both.

As far as performance is concerned, IMHO that might be an issue with older machines, but the newer ones with dual core and 5GB Ram etc. I wouldn't think there would be any impact on 'performance' ;)

Since Avast 6 and the introduction of "Auto-Sandboxing", personally,I don't feel the need to Sandbox or Run Safer all the time (unless the sites are unknown/extreme caution). :huh:

My personal preference right now is Avast Sandbox, but I restate the choice is going to be individual and I believe both features (Sandbox, Run Safer) succeed at what they were designed to do...

Keep your machine safer. B)

I don't think Run Safer would really hurt performance, because OA does not restrict programs directly. It simply tells Windows to impose limited user account restrictions...

: )

As far as performance is concerned, IMHO that might be an issue with older machines, but the newer ones with dual core and 5GB Ram etc. I wouldn't think there would be any impact on 'performance' ;)

I don't think performance (ie slowdown when using both RunSafer and a sandbox) should be an issue either :) RunSafer uses a Windows API to limit the rights of programs set to RunSafer. It's exactly like running with a limited user account, except you are doing so only for selected programs. If Avast in also limiting the rights of the same program (I'm not familiar with it's sandbox but I know Sandboxie has a similar "Drop rights" feature), then possibly there could be a conflict. If only OA is limiting the rights and Avast is performing pure sandboxing then there shouldn't be any problems :)

The Sandbox feature in Avast actually runs pograms in a 'virtualized environment'

A little different then Run Safer B)

Sounds like it should be fine to use in conjunction with RunSafer then :) Whether both are needed though probably depends on personal preferences.

I believe that is correct.

Here is confirmation of compatability

My link

I am running them together with no problems. Have only tried Opera so far but no reason to suspect problems with other browsers at this point.

UPDATE Have now also run successfully with Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer; all using W7x64.

I am running them together with no problems. Have only tried Opera so far but no reason to suspect problems with other browsers at this point.

UPDATE Have now also run successfully with Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer; all using W7x64.

Seems all good on XP's here. Obviously a reduction in speed on lower RAM machines running both active. B)

Unfortunately it looks like running the browser in the sandbox with Run Safer can actually interfere with the virtualization. I downloaded a file with the "Save downloads to outside sandbox" not checked, and the file was saved outside the sandbox anyway. So if you use Run Safer, might be better to run the browser outside the sandbox and then go to Explorer and right click on "run in sandbox" for the downloaded file. Don't know what other interference it might cause or if there are offsetting benefits.

Unfortunately it looks like running the browser in the sandbox with Run Safer can actually interfere with the virtualization.

Hi sded,

What happens if you disable the behaviour shield? does this solve the issues with RS+SB?

Hi sded,

What happens if you disable the behaviour shield? does this solve the issues with RS+SB?

Behavior shield off had no effect. But tried the same experiment with FF that failed with Opera, and this time virtualization seemed to work OK. Will try a little more with Opera.

Update Download still comes out of the sandbox with Opera no matter what the download virtualization settings are in Avast! ???

But tried the same experiment with FF that failed with Opera, and this time virtualization seemed to work OK.

I assumed that perhaps possible conflicts between OA HIPS and behavior blocker technology may be solved by disabling the Behaviour Shield but I'm running the free version of Avast! and I cannot experiment by myself - no pure sandboxing in this version.

Also, I have no idea if auto-sandbox depends on/relies on Behaviour Shield.