Context menu scan causes explorer to hang

Hello!

I've had a problem for quite some time now, that persists even after a clean install of windows.

Scanning a file through the right-click context menu will cause my explorer to hang for about 4-5 seconds, with the little blue spiny circle next to my cursor.

Curiously, the issue doesn't happen if I do the scan directly from EAM itself (custom scan and then "Add file").

I've found this topic about someone with the same issue which apparently was related to EAM's self-protection.

In my case, turning self-protection off doesn't seem to make a difference.

My specs :
Win10 Home 20H2 x64
EAM Home v2021.7.0.11059

More recently than the thread you linked to, I had a somewhat similar problem (under Win 8.1) where the scan got done by EAM but then there was a few seconds of no response between me dismissing the scan results page and returning to explorer.  I eventually realised that I was dismissing the results page by clicking the "X" in its top-righthand-corner, and tried changing my habits to click on the "Close" button (under the results), then "X" on the screen that's displayed after that.  That "solved" it.  Right now, with the current version, it seems to make no difference which one I click.

So, when exactly do you get your hang?  Is it before the scan starts, or after?  Is it before or during or after you've dismissed the result display?

It seems to happen as soon as I click "Scan with Emsisoft Anti-Malware", because that's when EAM's window pop-up, and at that instant it won't even let me go back to the folder where the file is (unless I minimize EAM's window).

I expect Emsisoft support will need to investigate, but meantime perhaps you can look at the cpu use of the a2- tasks, that is a2start, a2service, a2guard in Task Manager (use the Details tab and make sure the CPU column is visible - if not, right-click on the column titles and choose Select Columns), or Process Explorer or Process Hacker if you have either of the latter installed. Ideally have the TM/PE/PH display open and the cpu column visible before you try to start a scan.  Here, a2start and a2service both fleetingly get busy when I start a context menu scan.  In your case I wonder if eg a2start doesn't respond at all for a few seconds, or if it gets very busy for a few seconds before a2service (which actually does the scan) does.

You mentioned Self Protection earlier; if you turned it off, I hope you've turned it back on.

Do you have any other security software installed?

You said you've had the problem for quite some time - is that days, weeks, months?  Did anything significant happen on your system when you first saw this problem?

I've checked the processes you mentionned, and when I initiate a context menu scan, only thing I see is a2start.exe jump to 03-05 for a second or so.

You mentioned Self Protection earlier; if you turned it off, I hope you've turned it back on.

I briefly turned it off for the test, then turned it back on.

Do you have any other security software installed?

I have MBAM, but it's only the free version that I use as second-opinion on-demand scanner.
Also, Microsoft Defender is off.

You said you've had the problem for quite some time - is that days, weeks, months?  Did anything significant happen on your system when you first saw this problem?

I've been using EAM for a bit over a year and a half, and I believe I've always had this issue.

At first I brushed it off, thought it might be due to the fact that I had different AV softwares installed on my computer prior to EAM.

But recently, I did a clean installation of Windows, and unfortunately the problem's still here.

Please gather two logs using FRST, a tool used worldwide by malware removal experts for free malware removal and tech support, and attach them to a reply to this email. Instructions can be found here: https://help.emsisoft.com/en/1738/how-do-i-run-a-scan-with-frst/

Email the logs to [email protected] with either a link to this forum thread, or a description of the issue, and we'll try to help.