Sign in to follow this  
valrick

OA Premium blocks my automatic WinDVD.exe

Hello,

WinDVD.exe is my default automatic program to run DVD movies.

However, OA Premium blocks this program at startup.

How can I do to allow automatically this program at the start of the DVD video?

Thank you for your reply.

Is WinDVD listed in OA programs as Trusted and green in colour?

(you may need to untick the 'hide trusted' box at the bottom of the OA programs list to see it.)

Is WinDVD listed in OA programs as Trusted and green in colour?

(you may need to untick the 'hide trusted' box at the bottom of the OA programs list to see it.)

Hello,

Yes, WinDVD.exe is a listed program with trusted green color.

Thank you for your reply

Which operating system are you running?

Which version of Online Armor?

Perhaps try removing it from the programs list and turning on OA learning mode.

Then reboot and see if OA 'learns' WinDVD.

Then turn learning mode off.

Hi stapp & valrick

...Which operating system are you running?

Which version of Online Armor?..

The basic Sys-config is stared in valrick's signature

W.Vista 32 bits - a-squared anti-malware 4.5 - Online Armor Premium Firewall 4.0 - Malwarebytes'anti-malware 1.41 - SuperAntispyware 4.29
Well, most of Software installed are way out-dated!

1) There is no such thing as "a-squared" any more for a "loooong" time already.

It's EAM v5.1.0.10 currently (free & full Suite are in sync at the moment)

v4.5 ??? :blink: must be "clean-uninstalled" & reinstalled after downloading the latest Setup available - no Q about it!

2) SuperAntiSpyware - current version is 4.49.0.1000

3) MalwareBytes - is v1.50.1.1100 & DB=6015

4) Finally , stapp will is OA-expert ... so she will tell you about the latter, which is out-dated as well, as far as I can see

1st things 1st, valrick - you have to fix all that & then (I hope) it will be easier to assist you

Cheers!

Hello,

I'm running windows 7 64 bits and OA Premium 4.5.1.431 release.

In fact, the program was not in the list of programs and I've added it manually.

Do you think that it would be better to add it to the list of autoruns?

Thank you for your reply;

Have you rebooted yet and seen if it works now at start-up?

Hi,

No, it doesn't work at start-up.

However, by putting the C:\Program Files (x86)\InterVideo\DVD8 folder in the exclusions of Options, it works perfectly..

Thank you for your help;

However, by putting the C:\Program Files (x86)\InterVideo\DVD8 folder in the exclusions of Options, it works perfectly..

Not a good idea, IMO. Your default program to run DVD will not be monitored by Online Armor in any way.

As previously suggested by stapp:

If you have time you could try closing WinDVD and deleting all the items related to it in the Programs List and in Autoruns - clear also the entry in the exclusions list.

After that put OA in Learning Mode - Please, keep in mind that you must be sure that your system is free of malware before enabling Learning Mode because any malware on your system while in Learning Mode will automatically be allowed to run and ignored by Online Armor.

Reboot your system and start WinDVD. Play with it for a few seconds and then close it.

Exit Learning Mode, go to the Programs List, search for all the items related to WinDVD and trust all of them.

I hope this may help you.

You can read more about Learning Mode here: http://www.online-ar...p3/LrnMode.html

Regards,

N.

Not a good idea, IMO. Your default program to run DVD will not be monitored by Online Armor in any way.

As previously suggested by stapp:

If you have time you could try closing WinDVD and deleting all the items related to it in the Programs List and in Autoruns - clear also the entry in the exclusions list.

After that put OA in Learning Mode - Please, keep in mind that you must be sure that your system is free of malware before enabling Learning Mode because any malware on your system while in Learning Mode will automatically be allowed to run and ignored by Online Armor.

Reboot your system and start WinDVD. Play with it for a few seconds and then close it.

Exit Learning Mode, go to the Programs List, search for all the items related to WinDVD and trust all of them.

I hope this may help you.

You can read more about Learning Mode here: http://www.online-ar...p3/LrnMode.html

Regards,

N.

No it doesn't work.

Even in learning mode, it doesn't work.

V.

What does it say in OA history about the block?

(You can right click on the history entry and select copy to clipboard and paste the entry in a post.)

Hello,

I send you the copy of my history:

Created: 11/03/2011 22:42:47

Summary: WinDVDFs.exe: Allow to enumerate files

Description: C:\Program Files (x86)\InterVideo\DVD8\WinDVDFs.exe<br><b>Allow to enumerate files</b> changed from <b>Ask</b> to <b>Allow</b>

Event type: Unknown(24)

Event action: Allowed(2)

Summary: WinDVDFs.exe: Allow suspend process/thread

Description: C:\Program Files (x86)\InterVideo\DVD8\WinDVDFs.exe<br><b>Allow suspend process/thread</b> changed from <b>Ask</b> to <b>Allow</b>

Summary: WinDVDFs.exe: Allow remote data modification

Description: C:\Program Files (x86)\InterVideo\DVD8\WinDVDFs.exe<br><b>Allow remote data modification</b> changed from <b>Ask</b> to <b>Allow</b>

Summary: WinDVDFs.exe: Allow system shutdown

Description: C:\Program Files (x86)\InterVideo\DVD8\WinDVDFs.exe<br><b>Allow system shutdown</b> changed from <b>Ask</b> to <b>Allow</b>

Summary: WinDVDFs.exe: Allow to use DNS API

Description: C:\Program Files (x86)\InterVideo\DVD8\WinDVDFs.exe<br><b>Allow to use DNS API</b> changed from <b>Ask</b> to <b>Allow</b>

Summary: WinDVDFs.exe: Allow create executable

Description: C:\Program Files (x86)\InterVideo\DVD8\WinDVDFs.exe<br><b>Allow create executable</b> changed from <b>Ask</b> to <b>Allow</b>

Summary: WinDVDFs.exe: Allow to set global hooks

Description: C:\Program Files (x86)\InterVideo\DVD8\WinDVDFs.exe<br><b>Allow to set global hooks</b> changed from <b>Ask</b> to <b>Allow</b>

Summary: WinDVDFs.exe: Allow physical memory access

Description: C:\Program Files (x86)\InterVideo\DVD8\WinDVDFs.exe<br><b>Allow physical memory access</b> changed from <b>Ask</b> to <b>Allow</b>

Summary: WinDVDFs.exe: Allow remote code

Description: C:\Program Files (x86)\InterVideo\DVD8\WinDVDFs.exe<br><b>Allow remote code</b> changed from <b>Ask</b> to <b>Allow</b>

Created: 11/03/2011 22:42:35

Summary: WinDVD.exe: Allow suspend process/thread

Description: C:\Program Files (x86)\InterVideo\DVD8\WinDVD.exe<br><b>Allow suspend process/thread</b> changed from <b>Ask</b> to <b>Allow</b>

Summary: WinDVD.exe: Allow remote data modification

Description: C:\Program Files (x86)\InterVideo\DVD8\WinDVD.exe<br><b>Allow remote data modification</b> changed from <b>Ask</b> to <b>Allow</b>

Summary: WinDVD.exe: Allow remote code

Description: C:\Program Files (x86)\InterVideo\DVD8\WinDVD.exe<br><b>Allow remote code</b> changed from <b>Ask</b> to <b>Allow</b>

Summary: WinDVD.exe: Allow system shutdown

Description: C:\Program Files (x86)\InterVideo\DVD8\WinDVD.exe<br><b>Allow system shutdown</b> changed from <b>Ask</b> to <b>Allow</b>

Summary: WinDVD.exe: Allow to enumerate files

Description: C:\Program Files (x86)\InterVideo\DVD8\WinDVD.exe<br><b>Allow to enumerate files</b> changed from <b>Ask</b> to <b>Allow</b>

Summary: WinDVD.exe: Allow to use DNS API

Description: C:\Program Files (x86)\InterVideo\DVD8\WinDVD.exe<br><b>Allow to use DNS API</b> changed from <b>Ask</b> to <b>Allow</b>

Summary: WinDVD.exe: Allow create executable

Description: C:\Program Files (x86)\InterVideo\DVD8\WinDVD.exe<br><b>Allow create executable</b> changed from <b>Ask</b> to <b>Allow</b>

Summary: WinDVD.exe: Allow to set global hooks

Description: C:\Program Files (x86)\InterVideo\DVD8\WinDVD.exe<br><b>Allow to set global hooks</b> changed from <b>Ask</b> to <b>Allow</b>

Summary: WinDVD.exe: Allow physical memory access

Description: C:\Program Files (x86)\InterVideo\DVD8\WinDVD.exe<br><b>Allow physical memory access</b> changed from <b>Ask</b> to <b>Allow</b>

Thank you for your reply

V

Is that the History you got after exiting Learning Mode?

The program now seems to be fully allowed to start and run... However, I think I misunderstood the issue initially (although the recommendations would be the same I suggested in my previous post).

OA forgets these decisions (the ones from your History) after rebooting and ask again for permission each time. Is this correct?

Usually Learning Mode (as described in my post) would fix this strange behaviour but in your case it doesn't seem to work...

When I start WinDVD.exe OA don't ask me again for permission.

Thank you for your reply

You're welcome, valrick.

So OA automatically blocks the program after each boot without asking, forgetting your previous decisions. Am I right?

Unfortunately at the moment I have no idea about how to fix this - apart from using Learning Mode, which didn't work out though.

Perhaps more experienced users may suggest you something else...

N.

Perhaps it may be worthwhile uninstalling OA, rebooting twice, and then re-installing OA using the trust all option.

If that doesn't sort it then perhaps a dev needs to look at it.

Was "WinDVDFs.exe" also Trusted (highlighted green) in OA's program's list?

It's probably worth locating both "WinDVD.exe" and "WinDVDFs.exe" in the Program's list and deleting both entries. OA will recreate them and when asked, you can tick "Remember my decision, "Trust this program" and click "Allow".

Seems a bit odd Cat that OA's learning mode shows both WinDVD and WinDVDF as fully allowed and yet valrick still cannot get it to work.

Computers!!

I think the OP already tried deleting and recreating those entries because he followed my directions about Learning Mode... :/

As far as I know the only thing he has not yet tried is the Safety Check Wizard (using the trust all option).