EAM shuts down after startup

I'm seeing this on two PCs. Reminded me of the infamous integration issue but it's probably unrelated.

Right after system startup, the EAM tray icon disappears and only a2service.exe is still running. WSC reports the 'no protection' issue. Manually launching EAM solves the problem, until the next time. It does not happen very frequently, but it does. "Start on Windows startup" setting is enabled.

I've tried uninstalling (2x restart) but it didn't help. I've created a log with the Emsisoft Diagnostic Tool, right after the tray icon disappeared. Please let me know if you want it and where to send it.

It now happened way after startup, at a seemingly random moment. EAM tray icon disappears and WSC goes red.

I re-launched EAM, the UI appeared (all green/OK), WSC still red. a2start.exe is now there but no a2.guard.exe and still no tray icon. Closing the window and launching EAM again does not solve it.

What solved it in this case: disabling one protection element (e.g. Web Protection). The tray icon appeared and so did a2guard. Re-enabling Web Protection brings back WSC green status, too.

If a2 processes are terminating unexpectedly you should be able to find eventlog records [probably in Control Panel - Admin Tools - Event Viewer, or Win10's equivalent] that describe the type of error/exception and the offset and module they are occurring in, which is information Emsisoft will need to track down the cause.  At the very least you could note for yourself whether the type/offset/module are the same each time.

Or you can just press Start and immediately type  the words Reliability History and click on it. (no need to type in a box or anything as  Windows does it all automagically for you)

Any errors you just double click on them and they will give you the details.

This is from yesterday - Reliability details/Critical events/a2service.exe/technical details:

Faulting application name: a2service.exe, version: 2021.10.0.11201, time stamp: 0x61544003
Faulting module name: a2core.dll, version: 2020.5.0.47379, time stamp: 0x5eab77f0
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000000199b0
Faulting process id: 0x6f8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d7c9d71079a6dd
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Emsisoft Anti-Malware\a2service.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Emsisoft Anti-Malware\a2core.dll
Report Id: 5194f300-e3a7-4820-a1b9-cd1a038f7832
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

• 2 weeks later...