cloutz

OA fails send message termination

Hi,

i tried OA 5 beta (alex_s gave me because i had some problems with v4.5 :)) versus some type of termination tests in VM with win7 x64.

In particular:

Simple Process Termination

Advanced Process Termination

Process Hacker (no kernel mode)

i tried to terminate always paint.exe, and i found that OA does not catch send message termination.

In particular:

(send WM_CLOSE)

(send WM_SYSCOMMAND)

(send WM_DESTROY)

(send WM_QUIT)

(send SC_CLOSE)

Anyone can confirm it? :D

Best Regards

They should be handled correctly for OA processes. I am not sure if it works for non-OA processes yet. In any way there are some changes in OA 5.0. Previously if you managed to kill the GUI the service was closed automatically as well. In 5.0 if you manage to kill the GUI the service will stay active and apply all restrictions according to your rules.

They should be handled correctly for OA processes. I am not sure if it works for non-OA processes yet. In any way there are some changes in OA 5.0. Previously if you managed to kill the GUI the service was closed automatically as well. In 5.0 if you manage to kill the GUI the service will stay active and apply all restrictions according to your rules.

yes, OA processes can not be terminated!

i thought it can protect all other processes from termination, or at least important ones such as explorer.exe :huh:

anyway, is it in your to-do list?

or is it an implementative choice?

Best regards

i thought it can protect all other processes from termination, or at least important ones such as explorer.exe :huh:

Hi Cloutz.

Did you do a right-click on paint.exe, choose "Advance options", and click "Protect from termination"?

Hi Cloutz.

Did you do a right-click on paint.exe, choose "Advance options", and click "Protect from termination"?

i'm sorry but i can't find that function :(

Can you see paint.exe in OA's Programs? Please make sure that "Hide trusted" is unticked just in case it is trusted on your system.

Just go to the "Programs" menu and double click "mspaint.exe". You may have to untick the "Hide Trusted" checkbox:

oa5.png

Since this is the first public screenshot of OA 5.0, how is everyone liking it and how long do you think will it take until someone posts it at Wilders? :D My guess is less than 6 hours ;).

Just go to the "Programs" menu and double click "mspaint.exe". You may have to untick the "Hide Trusted" checkbox:

Since this is the first public screenshot of OA 5.0, how is everyone liking it and how long do you think will it take until someone posts it at Wilders? :D My guess is less than 6 hours ;).

i did not posted anywhere screenshots, i thought it was a surprise for v5 :thumbs:

i'll try that way, but have you planned to implement that kind of protectin for all processes?

from what i can see i think no!

Ok, tried calc.exe with that protections enabled

immaginemfx.th.png

it does not work, process successfully terminated with no alerts.

so.. OA is not able to handle that messages for non-OA processes