Sign in to follow this  
Steve1209

DVDfab 6 False Positives

Hey Everyone,

I've been getting the same false positives for what seems like weeks now. DVDfab is a great DVD back-up tool which I have paid for. For what I think is 3 weeks now I've been getting the same FP's, I report them as FP's and have many times over the weeks and they still remain. I know I can whitelist them, but I'd rather the developers fix this for everyone:

a-squared Free - Version 4.5

Last update: 10/24/2009 4:29:54 PM

Scan settings:

Scan type: Quick Scan

Objects: Memory, Traces, Cookies

Scan archives: On

Heuristics: Off

ADS Scan: On

Scan start: 10/24/2009 4:30:01 PM

c:\program files\dvdfab 6\ detected: Trace.Directory.DVDFab!A2

c:\documents and settings\all users\start menu\programs\dvdfab 6\ detected: Trace.Directory.DVDFab!A2

c:\documents and settings\steve\desktop\dvdfab 6.lnk detected: Trace.File.DVDFab!A2

Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\DVDFab detected: Trace.Registry.DVDFab!A2

Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\DVDFab 6_is1 detected: Trace.Registry.DVDFab!A2

Key: HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-839522115-1229272821-725345543-1003\software\DVDFab detected: Trace.Registry.DVDFab!A2

Scanned

Files: 423

Traces: 641831

Cookies: 2791

Processes: 53

Found

Files: 0

Traces: 6

Cookies: 0

Processes: 0

Registry keys: 0

Scan end: 10/24/2009 4:32:29 PM

Scan time: 0:02:28

Good morning Steve,

Actually you could continue in your previous thread with the same request

http://support.emsisoft.com/topic/342-fps-reported-but-not-cleared/page__hl__DVDfab__fromsearch__1

Have you tried sending just a report to the developers at [email protected]

Since there are no particular files flagged inside the directory, they may ask for additional info if needed...

or at least you will get a reply with some explanations

My regards

Hey Lynx,

Sorry for the almost double post, I was on Jury duty all last week and not getting out until VERY late, I actually think I forgot about the previous post due to Jury Duty strss, haha! I have only been reporting the FP's VIA the final screen, right click & report as FP's, not emailing them, I thought they would get them that way? Doesn't that work? Like I said, it's been weeks, I know/understand TRACES are not a big deal, just was hoping the developers could correct...

Steve

Hi Steve,

That's fine, no apology needed and the Jury Duty are more important than PC security – nobody can deny that B)

As for “not emailing” flaggings and submitting from the detection list in the 1st place that is indeed preferable method.

I think that the introduction of the said method was very important and wise decision by EMSI developers.

And in most cases it works as expected and it's pretty much fast and effective.

At the same time there are circumstances where we still can use e-mail.

Basically if you not seeing “fixes” after a week, that is the answer too.

As we discussed previously – most likely the detection will remain... so there is a White List

The part of the detection name - “DVDFab” is very specific - there should be strong reasons.

The Trace.Directory as in this case though could be a worry for some, since if one would quarantine

the whole package is jailed … (were you saying: “Jury Duty?... hmmm... :rolleyes: )

In addition there are Registry traces, so needles to say if deletion is used that could be as clean as cleanest Uninstall.

Therefore, and especially when some known and/or widely used Software is flagged it is better to find out and in this case you can use e-mail.

Because there are no files per se for “password-archiving” in this particular case, what I meant in my reply –

- send just the extract of the report and your questions.

It may happen that what was mentioned before is the concern... things like site rating

and see particular download versions red-crossed

{added} here is some additional info from EMSI.

The detection Adware.Win32.DVDFab is different to that in you current report, but anyway... and it even says:

This application contain trojan TDSS
I am sure you will find the truth

Cheers!