scargin

Online Armor blocks Internet after install of Itunes

I recently setup iTunes on my Windows XP machine and when the machine starts up I do not have net access and programs such as firefox and thunderbird will not start. The only way that I was able to get it to start again was to turn off the firewall in Online Armor premium (4.5.1.431).

If I turn off the firewall, they then load and I am able to access the net. When I do this the basic windows xp firewall activates and I can access all programs fine. This is even with itunes not started (athough I am sure some of the iTunes related services have started).

After turning Online Armor firewall on and off, it then locks up and I cannot shutdown the machine without clicking the rest button on my machine.

Any ideas on how I get online armor and itunes to work together?

Running Windows XP SP3

Online Armor 4.5.1.431

Vipre Antivirus 4.03

iTunes 10.2.1.1

Thanks,

Stuart

Hi Stuart, welcome to the forum

I recently setup iTunes on my Windows XP machine and when the machine starts up I do not have net access and programs such as firefox and thunderbird will not start. The only way that I was able to get it to start again was to turn off the firewall in Online Armor premium (4.5.1.431).

Please post the rules created by OA regarding FireFox; Thunderbird; iTunes

If I turn off the firewall, they then load and I am able to access the net. When I do this the basic windows xp firewall activates and I can access all programs fine.

Yes. MicroSoft can re-enable native FireWall no matter what 3rd party Firewall is installed (different story), but ... that's the 1st I've ever heard that the native Windows FireWall can be activated by just disabling any 3rd party Firewall :unsure: - if that's the case - that would be completely wrong and unneeded action & that's indeed strange

Do you have standalone PC? If so, have you disabled Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) as well unless you are using it?

That will not allow MS (or any 3rd party) to re-engage the native Firewall in 99.99% of cases - you will be notified by the System

This is even with itunes not started (athough I am sure some of the iTunes related services have started).
Please be more specific about "although" ... some iTunes related services have started

What services? And then, are you saying that even OA is OFF iTunes would not work?... that's not clear

After turning Online Armor firewall on and off, it then locks up and I cannot shutdown the machine without clicking the rest button on my machine.

Strange again

Have you ever installed any 3rd party Firewall prior to installing OA?

Any ideas on how I get online armor and itunes to work together?
In addition you can always Search the forum - in this case you will find some discussions like this one probably that may help and /or you can join that related discussion as well

My regards

Hi Lynx,

Thanks for your reply.

Please post the rules created by OA regarding FireFox; Thunderbird; iTunes

I am having issues locating these as OA has again locked up. I will do a reboot and post the results.

Do you have standalone PC? If so, have you disabled Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) as well unless you are using it?

That will not allow MS (or any 3rd party) to re-engage the native Firewall in 99.99% of cases - you will be notified by the System

The PC is on a network at home.

Please be more specific about "although" ... some iTunes related services have started

What services? And then, are you saying that even OA is OFF iTunes would not work?... that's not clear

The services that I noticed are: Apple Mobile Device and Bonjour Service

Have you ever installed any 3rd party Firewall prior to installing OA?

No it was a clean install and OA is the only firewall I have used.

In addition you can always Search the forum - in this case you will find some discussions like this one probably that may help and /or you can join that related discussion as well

Yes I read this and searched before posting. It seemed to not be related.

Thanks again,

Stuart

Thanks you for the reply, Stuart

Now it's clearer since you've mentioned using LAN and and Bonjour Service

I hope that OA experts will help you despite as noted above it will be helpful if you post the rules created by OA regarding iTunes and respective services

Other than that and basically out OffTopic/out of scope here:

1) Bonjour Service was uninstalled as part of Adobe CS Suite(s) long time ago. No matter whether I use standalone or networked computers.

Nothing except troubles you can get out of it - it's useless;

2) I and all my clients do not use iTunes or anything by Apple where PC's are involved. I use QuickTime Alternative only;

3) I do not have any issues with managing/writing/synchronizing any types of media using iPOd(s), IPhones, IPads etc.

Just search the Net and you will find free Utilities like CopyTrans Manager for doing that ... some management may need Python for creating DB structure for iPOds, but that is basically very easy

Finally, sure if your choice is iTune and the respective services - that must be figured out and eventually work

My regards

Stuart when you get things up and running can you check that itunes and any apple related things appear in the OA programs list as green in colour and trusted.

You have have to untick the 'hide trusted' tickbox at the bottom of the OA programs page to see them.

Stuart when you get things up and running can you check that itunes and any apple related things appear in the OA programs list as green in colour and trusted.

You have have to untick the 'hide trusted' tickbox at the bottom of the OA programs page to see them.

Hi Stapp,

All Apple related things are green and trusted:

AppleMobileDeviceHelper.exe

AppleMobileBackup.exeMobileServices.exe

iTunes.dll

iTunes.exe

iTuneshelper.dll

iTumesHelper.exe

iTodService.exe

Quicktime.qts

QTTask.exe

Bonjour does not show up at all. Not sure if it comes under a different name.

Thanks,

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

Do you see any red entries in Firewall -> Program Access or Firewall -> Rules? One other thing you might try doing, is rerunning the Safety Check Wizard from the Main Menu and choosing "Trust everything". Sometimes this can help when things don't seem to be working properly and there is no obvious cause.