Acadia

Year old bug

There has been a bug now in OA for at least a year that prevents Google Chrome from opening up inside of SandboxIE. The work around is to include the folder c:\users\[yourusername]\Appdata\Local\Google\Chrome\Application as an OA exclusion. Any idea when this bug will finally be fixed?

Thank you,

Acadia

I can reproduce the problem. I doubt though that it will be fixed anytime soon. Essentially what you do is putting a sandbox (Sandboxie) around a sandbox (Chrome) and try to protect it using a HIPS (OA) and possibly an additional sandbox (RunSafer). Stacking so many similar approaches on top of each other is bound to fail at one point.

Fixed with 1331, thank you Emsisoft.

Acadia

Oops, spoke too soon. It worked the first time and only once since. I keep receiving an error message that says " cannot load DLL file: SHLWAPI.dll" which is a Windows file.

But I am going to keep Online Armor, it still works with Firefox and Sandboxie.

Acadia

Oops, spoke too soon. It worked the first time and only once since. I keep receiving an error message that says " cannot load DLL file: SHLWAPI.dll" which is a Windows file.

But I am going to keep Online Armor, it still works with Firefox and Sandboxie.

Acadia

Hi Acadia,

I think it's related to the "Automatically block programs with suspicious filenames" feature (located at Programs->Options).

Could you please verify if it's so? (by unticking the checkbox)

If it so then it's fixed in the current private beta. (will be available to the public soon)

I think it's related to the "Automatically block programs with suspicious filenames" feature (located at Programs->Options).

Bingo! That's it. Thanks much, Andrey.

Acadia

Thank you but you ain't even gonna believe this: still not fixed. I am now using version 1395 and fully updated as of this morning, still having the same problem.

Acadia

Thanks catprincess, tried that and still no go. It's weird, my entire system freezes up, I can't even bring up Task Manager to try to figure out what's going on. The only thing that I can do is hold in the power button and do a hard kill, every time. I still like OA too much to give it up though.

Acadia

Hmmm, interesting and I must admit this surprised me; yes, it is still doing it even with that option unticked so it is doing whether ticked or unticked. ???

Acadia

Just to make sure:

The problem you describe now is completely different (a full system lockup compared to Chrome not working under Sandboxie unless excluded). Does the original issue still exist as well or do you "only" have the system freezes? In the later case I would be tempted to split your last posts to a new topic as they have nothing to do with your original problem if you won't mind. It's a lot easier to keep track of it that way :).

's

No, the problem has always been: Chrome refuses to work and when it does so my entire system also freezes up and I have to do a hard-kill and reboot. Nothing has changed except once with the earlier edition I tried it with the option unticked and Chrome worked but it only worked once, a fluke perhaps? Now it it back to not working at all and everything freezes whether ticked or unticked. Chrome works when not sandboxed. Firefox and IE work no matter whether Sandboxed or not. Chrome works when in my Virtual Machine and the entire VM is sandboxed (yes, you can sandbox an entire VM) but the VM probably prevents Online Armor from seeing Chrome. I can even Sandbox Chrome inside of the Sandboxed VM :wacko: (Sandboxed twice) but again the VM probably prevents OA from seeing Chrome at all.

Thanks for everything,

Acadia

No, the problem has always been: Chrome refuses to work and when it does so my entire system also freezes up and I have to do a hard-kill and reboot.

Is there a particular reason why you never mentioned the complete freeze before until just recently? Between saying "it prevents Chrome from working within Sandboxie" (to quote your initial post) and "it completely freezes my system when I try to run Chrome in Sandboxie" is a huge difference. The fix in the latest version only fixes the problem where Online Armor blocks Sandboxie from loading certain DLLs that prevented some applications like Chrome from not running correctly within Sandboxie. That's completely different from the problem you are experiencing though.

Can you give a detailed list of all your installed security and networking applications including version numbers, your exact Windows version including service pack level, notable system configuration changes (DEP, EMET, deactivated services etc.), your exact Sandboxie settings as well as the Chrome version you use as well as a list of installed plugins and extensions.

Thanks.

Is there a particular reason why you never mentioned the complete freeze before until just recently?

YES, I just don't know as much as the Emsisoft support folks here and I guess that it just did not occur to me, forgive me for even breathing! OK, that ugliness behind me, I just updated to the most recent version and that bug is still happening. But you know, it really does not matter I guess anymore, I give up. I simply want software to work but OA is one of the better ones in my opinion and I am willing to live with this bug. Like I have already posted here and elsewhere, I added c:\users\[yourusername]\Appdata\Local\Google\Chrome\Application to the OA exclusions and now Google works just fine. Whatever creep might try to hurt me by my surfing thru Chrome will always be stopped by Sandboxie; OA is another layer that will stop the creep if they should by some miracle get by SandoxIE.

THANKS FOR AN EXCELLENT PRODUCT,

Acadia