Start-up Scan

Lynk

Hello @Lynk,

Anything you schedule to start during Windows startup will slow down the startup process.  Especially, scheduling a scan to run during Windows startup.  Scans are resource intensive and depending on how large the hard drive and the amount of files it could take hours to complete the scan.  Making it very difficult to use the system for anything while the scan is running.

4 hours ago, Lynk said:

Hello@ShadowPuterDude

Okay and is there any benefit to using it?

I think there'd only be a benefit if you had a good reason to worry that your machine might have become infected since you last shut it down... That might be true if the machine was easily accessed by the public.

But if you do do a scan at start-up, unless it's only a "quick scan" (which checks very little) it's going to make the machine unresponsive for the real use you just turned it on for, for possibly quite a long time.   However, it's up to you.  Your machine, your choice.   By default EAM tries to get scans done as quickly as possible, which means it makes the machine as busy as possible doing it.  You can tell it (in Scanner Settings) to leave some of your machine's cpu cores free for YOU to use, but that means the scan takes longer to finish.

It's better in general to run scans while you're not actively trying to use the machine.

I have a fairly fast pc, with SSDs only, and scanning just under 2 million files takes about 6 hours (if the contents of archives are being examined) and about 2 hours if they are not.  The scan times are much better (ie faster) with SSDs than they were with older PCs which had mechanical disks.   I run the scans overnight.  If you're unwilling to leave a machine running while you're asleep, do it while you're cooking and eating a meal, or having a bath or something.