Online Armor 4.5

DanaJ

I'm about to give up and go back to OA v4.0 or to Commodo.

We have two PC's, one an OLD eMachine with WinXP home, AVG 2011.

The other a Dell Vostro laptop (2gb ram)with Win XP Pro SP3, Avast 6, Prevx 3 and Immunet 3.

I up graded the eMach from the old Outpost 2009 (6.5?)firewall to OA 4.5. It seems to be OK, but with a much slower start up. ON the plus side, since it only had 1gb memory, OA uses much less memory than the OP did. But it still has the slow start up.

The Dell is problematic. It seemed to work fine one day, then the next, extreamly slow start up after login, with it taking 10+ minutes to get to the point of being usefull. Also CrashPlan was disabled for awhile, but I managed to fix that.

I have tried disabling the HIPS, including the Web shield, as Avast has one anyway. I have also set exclusions in Avast & Immunet for OA, and in OA for Avast & Immunet.

But it still seems flaky, if I turn the PC off and then on again later, it MAY boot up and run OK, or I may have to wait 10 minutes for it to be usable. I really would prefer to get OA 4.5 working right, but if I can't, I'll go back to 4.0, or whatever is in my download folder.

Oh, in the OA History tab, I found the following listed during bootup: OADriver - ####SignalandWaitForAnswerEx - Timeout. pid= ### tid= ### There are A LOT of these lines, and there is a different value for the ###'s I listed above, but the time stamp seems to cover the entire time the PD is 'hanging'. I am trying to attach a copy of the history file.

I really like OA, at least until lately, so I hope we can get this fixed.

Thanks, DAna

Hmmm...still no answer? Now the old PC is starting to have slow start ups, and I have completely disabled the HIPS of the OA firewall on the Dell to get it to start and run normally, although there are occasional pauses when I start a new program.

So, ANY ideas here, or should I just wait for OA 5?

DanaJ

Can you please try the Online Armor 5.0 release candidate and report back if you still encounter the same problem? Thanks.

Well, I actually need to have this PC in a functional state, so I will pass on that until at least the first bug-fix release of '5' is out, 5.1 or whatever.

I am still trying to decide if I keep 4.5 with the HIPS functions disabled, or downgrade to 4.0-whatever, which seemed to work without any problems. Or give Comodo a try again.

Thanks anyway. DJ

You know, I have been an OA user for a few years now, but I really don't know what happened with OA 4.5. I never had any problems with the previous versions, but with this one, nothing but problems. I kinda expected some with the older PC, but the problems have actually been worse with the newer Dell laptop. And I have heard the same thing from friends too. Maybe it has something to do with still running XP. We know MS hates us for not "upgrading" to Vista.

Or I don't know, maybe it has some thing to do with the whole 'suite' concept, vendors are trying to cram too much into the product, or are trying to make incompatible products work together - "Its a firewall & an antivirus!". Hey, I already HAVE an antivirus, thank you very much, I just want a good, no nonsense firewall thats better than the one in Windows.

So I have decided to move to Comodo. Too bad, OA was a really great firewall.

DanaJ

Or I don't know, maybe it has some thing to do with the whole 'suite' concept, vendors are trying to cram too much into the product, or are trying to make incompatible products work together - "Its a firewall & an antivirus!". Hey, I already HAVE an antivirus, thank you very much, I just want a good, no nonsense firewall thats better than the one in Windows.

Online Armor doesn't have an Antivirus unless you purchased the ++ version.

Well, I just don't know then what happened. I have been dealing with this for awhile. When 4.5 first came out, I tried upgrading one of the PC's then, and had the same problems, so I went back to the prior version and decided to give it a couple of months to see if any bug fixes changed things. So then I had the exact same problems this past month or so. I have really tried a lot to get it to work, but no luck.

So I have moved on to Comodo and have had ZERO problems.