Fabian Wosar

Online Armor 5.0 first release candidate available!

The release candidate here is outdated. Please get the newest release candidate here.

Hi everyone,

We are proud to present to you the first Online Armor 5.0 release candidate. You can download it here:

http://tmp.emsisoft.com/oa/trunk/5.0.0.1050/OnlineArmorSetup.exe

You can find the English documentation at http://www.emsisoft.com/en/info/oa/. Of course Online Armor 5.0 will be a free upgrade for all customers.

oa5.png

What is new?

• File & Registry Shield
    Users can create rules to limit the access of certain application groups to specified files, folders or registry keys. Due to the advanced nature of this feature it is only available in "Advanced Mode".
  • Completely reworked GUI
    Online Armor 5.0 was adapted to the design of the other Emsisoft products and shows a lot of usage simplifications. Additionally the readability of alert windows has been optimized.
  • IE Addons removed
    The IE Addons menu was removed. BHOs are really just another autorun and are now handled as such.
  • Content filtering in Web Shield removed
    The content filtering aspects of the Web Shield were removed. They were introduced at a time when essentially all browsers lacked control over active content or your private information. Times have changed though and most modern browsers actually do a far superior job now than the Web Shield ever did. Therefore we decided to remove the content filtering from the Web Shield which will result in better compatibility and network performance.
  • Improved self protection on x86 and x64 systems.
  • Over 400 detail improvements and bug fixes based on user and tester feedback.

How to install Online Armor 5.0?

Just run the setup and choose to upgrade your installation.

Known problems:

• The setup may offer you a trial version although it is no longer available on your system.
  • The translations may be incomplete at the moment.
  • Running Chrome inside a Sandboxie sandbox won't work unless you exclude Chrome from Online Armor.

How to report bugs?

Please send all bugs you find via mail to [email protected] or report them in the official Online Armor forum. Please understand that we can't monitor all possible security forums to look for bug reports there. So if you don't report them via the official channels there is a possibility your bug report will never be seen by our staff. In addition please make sure to include detailed information on the error itself as well as the circumstances in which it occurred and any steps necessary to reproduce it. This includes but is not limited to:

• Version information about your operating system as well as the active applications at the time the problem occurred.
  • In the case of error messages or graphical problems, make sure to include a screenshot of the problem.
  • In the case of a blue screen please attach the dump files found in the Windows Minidump folder. It is not enough to submit them using the crash dump submission tool. Send them via mail!
  • In the case of any software malfunction (both Online Armor or any third party application) please consider enabling debug mode, reproducing the problem and including the debug logs in your initial submission. Most likely you will be asked to submit them at some point anyways so it may be a good idea to include them upfront.

In advance: Thank you for your help and submissions! :)

Last but not least we hope you will all like the changes in Online Armor 5.0 and we are looking forward to your feedback. In addition we would appreciate it if you could point us towards discussions about Online Armor 5.0 on other forums if you are aware of them or if you have re-posted this thread in another forum yourself. A little notification including a link as a reply here or via mail to [email protected] is highly appreciated :).

I just came across an OA 5.0 RC thread, started on WildersSecurity by WS member Delah; link.

Thanks for releasing the RC btw. Is the final version still planned for April?

Oh, God) :rolleyes: Was done!...I congratulate! :thumbs: ..........from itself do I want to ask how soon there will be translating into the Russian language?is it needed to delete a version 4,5 before setting 5,0 or my 4,5 Armor Premium will revive to the update version?thank you! :):):)

Oh, God) :rolleyes: Was done!...I congratulate! :thumbs: ..........from itself do I want to ask how soon there will be translating into the Russian language?is it needed to delete a version 4,5 before setting 5,0 or my 4,5 Armor Premium will revive to the update version?thank you! :):):)

No it's not necessary to uninstall 4.5. Just run the installer for 5.0 and choose "Upgrade install" when prompted. I would guess that it's hoped the translations will be ready for the official release of 5.0, but I am not certain.

Can this be installed over the free firewall, or is it just the Premium firewall?

The installer includes all versions in one. Just choose "Upgrade install" and you'll be upgraded to 5.0 for whatever edition you currently have installed.

1.setup 5,0 from above versions 4,5 passed successfully and easily, no complications arose up.The program perfectly became on a computer, no conflicts with other programs I did not see.

2.moving away 5.0.- without problems.after two restarts there are just 4 keys in a register,as compared to a version 4,5 far better, because after moving away 4,5 there were many more keys in a register and files.

3.clean setting of 5.0.- without problems.

4.easy interface, new type of the program and pop-ups.deceleration of speed of the internet I did not notice,in the controller of processes 5,0 the program consumes only 13-14 Mb....became quicker at switching of windows of interface and tuning, there is not deceleration, as in a version 4,5.All languages are present with shallow failures to complete.

5. errors : empty windows are in the panel of the language tuning, for me evidently only 3 languages, present and other, but by blanks, and there are errors at changing of language.

thank you Emsi!!!I wait a final release :) and antibanner :):huh:

Hi,

It is very nice to have this new version, thanks a lot! ;)

I have one issue that was present before and is not yet fixed(please see attached jpg):

On the Firewall Settings> Interfaces, there appears the following text:

"Discovering network, please wait..." and it stays there without ever changing.

This weird situation appears also on my wife´s laptop w/Win 7 32bit and the realtime programs that we share are avast latest versions and MBAM also up to date and both working fine.

Otherwise, I like this RC ver. a lot and the changes to the GUI look great

Runs extremely well.

Just wanted to verify one thing..... I've noticed that under "Domains", there is no longer an option such as "Not Trusted". There are only three: Trusted, Blocked and Protected. However, if an "upgrade" was done, and in the previous version a site was "Not Trusted".... it still shows up as that. Unfortunately this new release does not offer to choose this option anymore.

I installed OA++ RC1 this morning and launched Chrome sandboxed with Sandboxie and immediately got a message that “Online Armor Component has stopped working.” Chrome was also set to “Run Safer”. Does OA, Sandboxie and Chrome still not work together without excluding Chrome in OA?

Does OA, Sandboxie and Chrome still not work together without excluding Chrome in OA?

It doesn't an most likely won't work in the release as well. The problem is the combination of several sandboxes (Chrome, RunSafer, Sandboxie) and isn't easy to fix without breaking some aspects of the applications involved. I updated the known issues list.

Runs extremely well.

Just wanted to verify one thing..... I've noticed that under "Domains", there is no longer an option such as "Not Trusted". There are only three: Trusted, Blocked and Protected. However, if an "upgrade" was done, and in the previous version a site was "Not Trusted".... it still shows up as that. Unfortunately this new release does not offer to choose this option anymore.

The Not-Trusted status was used primarily for website content filtering. Now that content filtering has been removed (as per Fabian's introductory post), there is no reason for a user to need to manually set a domain to Not-Trusted. The Not-Trusted status is still used if you block a BITS job though; in this context, it simply means that BITS jobs are not allowed for that domain, but that browsing to the domain or accessing the domain via a program is still possible (where it would not be if you set the domain to Blocked).

hallo everybody!there was a small problem from 5,0.at the start of record player of Online Armor 5,0 constantly asks permission on the start of visualizer of SoundSpectrum G - Force, I mark the program reliable, I accord permission, but at the next start of record player all recurs again. 4,5 memorized from the first time and this problem it was not.

in general 5,0 each time requires permission on a start and does not remember a decision.......and another: in the extended mode, at including of defence of files and register a computer fully droops at the start of the programs.

Just installed as an update on XP Pro SP3. Installation smooth, no issues noted.

(Didn't notice the old two minute "learning mode" warning upon installation.)

So far, so good.

Hi,

It is very nice to have this new version, thanks a lot! ;)

I have one issue that was present before and is not yet fixed(please see attached jpg):

On the Firewall Settings> Interfaces, there appears the following text:

"Discovering network, please wait..." and it stays there without ever changing.

This weird situation appears also on my wife´s laptop w/Win 7 32bit and the realtime programs that we share are avast latest versions and MBAM also up to date and both working fine.

Otherwise, I like this RC ver. a lot and the changes to the GUI look great

YouTube review of OA V5.

Some serious criticisms; unfortunately they are pertinent. I found the same complaints when testing on a VMWare.

Other than the length of time for the wizard (which I can't comment on as I installed the RC over my previous version) I personally didn't have any big issues with the rest of the two videos.

Other than the length of time for the wizard (which I can't comment on as I installed the RC over my previous version) I personally didn't have any big issues with the rest of the two videos.

The deluge of pop-ups is quite present and overwhelming.

The alerts are definitely not explicit.

The Wizard... well.

And this was on a Virtual Machine (mine, not the video's).

I'm having second thoughts about installing OA. I'll just wait and see.

Still, a very (very, very) effective application.

Make sure the block connections at boot is not checked and it will find the network on reboot.

It is not checked, it simply does not detect the network. My wife´s LapTop has this problem with the previous version and I just installed this RC fresh and there it is for me too, so I am un-installing it!

It is not checked, it simply does not detect the network. My wife´s LapTop has this problem with the previous version and I just installed this RC fresh and there it is for me too, so I am un-installing it!

On the "Options" -> "Firewall" tab do you have the "New Networks Discovery" box checked? (Forgive me if I missed this above.)

Also, it may not work for you, but the other day I had to change my DSL Router as the old one died after several years.

I had to unplug and then replug it to get it to communicate with OA.

Good luck.

On the "Options" -> "Firewall" tab do you have the "New Networks Discovery" box checked? (Forgive me if I missed this above.)

Also, it may not work for you, but the other day I had to change my DSL Router as the old one died after several years.

I had to unplug and then replug it to get it to communicate with OA.

Good luck.

Thanks blues,

Yes, I have it enabled and it is probable that you are right about the Router, so I am going to try that after the final release comes out, because right now I already un-Installed it :(

Thanks again

Thanks blues,

Yes, I have it enabled and it is probable that you are right about the Router, so I am going to try that after the final release comes out, because right now I already un-Installed it :(

Thanks again

My pleasure. I hope it works out for you.

The deluge of pop-ups is quite present and overwhelming.

If you don't like popups, don't use a HIPS but switch to either one of the sandboxing/virtualization solutions or a behavior blocker.

Hey all, just upgraded to OA 5.0 premium and wanted to see if the Safety Check Wizard was fixed in this release. When I start it I see 2 lines of text. Busy... Wait a minute...

It's not getting to the actual scanning part. Is this a bug or can you only run the SCW when you do a clean install? Meaning that you 1st uninstall the version you have and then install the new version.

Installed the RC of OA 5.0 Free yesterday (did uninstall 4.5 Free, rebooted and started the installation). The installation went fine. Also the Wizard finished in a timely manner (tested it on my old P4 with Windows 7 32 Bit, 4GB RAM). But I do not seem to get Internet Access (Opera is trusted) and if I change some applications to trusted, they will be reverted back to untrusted (though I allowed them). Gonna try to set all to trusted via the Wizard and will try the RC on my slightly newer quad core (Windows 7 64 Bit, 4GB RAM) today.

installed the RC OA++ v5.00 on core i5,Windows 7 64 Bit, 4GB RAM,FF4..

i'm simply impressed by everything..GUI,simplicity..performance..scan speed....simply masterpiece.....i got many problems in v4.5 so i left it before more than a year...duo to slowness in browsing....so from now on im gonna use OA++ v5.

Congratulations Emsisoft...for the yield of hard work :-).

If you don't like popups, don't use a HIPS but switch to either one of the sandboxing/virtualization solutions or a behavior blocker.

Hi Fabian, thanks for your input.

First, don't misinterpret me: OA is still my favorite app and soon I'll have it on my main machine (virtual one now).

But please understand my soreness; I coldn't run V4.5 on two machines, to many issues (V4 worked fine). So I had high expectations about V5, only to find that some of my complaints were still there.

Exemple: regarding the pop-ups you mentioned; I'm quite familiar with the hassle of HIPS products but what about 15 alerts for GoogleEarth and 9 alerts for HitmanPro? I know about Learning Mode but shouldn't this two be on the whitelist?

Same with the Wizard. Isn't 50 minutes a bit too much to install a program?

Anyway, as I said I'll keep using OA.

Regards.

hello

I use OA ++ 4.5 and do not want my OA ++ 4.5 to update automatically OA ++ 5.0 when the final version arrives.

should I turn off automatic update to prevent this happen? thanks for your answer

hello

I use OA ++ 4.5 and do not want my OA ++ 4.5 to update automatically OA ++ 5.0 when the final version arrives.

should I turn off automatic update to prevent this happen? thanks for your answer

Under Options -> General, you would need to set the "Check for updates" drop down menu to "Manual only". If you want to update virus signatures after setting it this way, you'll need to do so via the tray icon context menu by going to "Check for updates -> Signatures and Rules Only".

i got a problem with the RC v5.00 ..it shut down my internet connection with the browser FF 4.0...so i uninstalled it...any body got similar problem?

Not here. (XP Pro SP3)