Sign in to follow this  
Fabian Wosar

Online Armor 5.0 second release candidate available!

The release candidate here is outdated. Please get the newest release candidate here.

Hi everyone,

We are proud to present to you the second Online Armor 5.0 release candidate. You can download it here:

http://tmp.emsisoft.com/oa/trunk/5.0.0.1067/OnlineArmorSetup.exe

You can find the English documentation at http://www.emsisoft.com/en/info/oa/. Of course Online Armor 5.0 will be a free upgrade for all customers.

oa5.png

What is new?

• File & Registry Shield
    Users can create rules to limit the access of certain application groups to specified files, folders or registry keys. Due to the advanced nature of this feature it is only available in "Advanced Mode".
  • Completely reworked GUI
    Online Armor 5.0 was adapted to the design of the other Emsisoft products and shows a lot of usage simplifications. Additionally the readability of alert windows has been optimized.
  • IE Addons removed
    The IE Addons menu was removed. BHOs are really just another autorun and are now handled as such.
  • Content filtering in Web Shield removed
    The content filtering aspects of the Web Shield were removed. They were introduced at a time when essentially all browsers lacked control over active content or your private information. Times have changed though and most modern browsers actually do a far superior job now than the Web Shield ever did. Therefore we decided to remove the content filtering from the Web Shield which will result in better compatibility and network performance.
  • Improved self protection on x86 and x64 systems.
  • Over 400 detail improvements and bug fixes based on user and tester feedback.

How to install Online Armor 5.0?

Just run the setup and choose to upgrade your installation.

What has changed since the last RC:

• A possible SCW freeze has been fixed.
  • Added a signature update inside the SCW for OA++ to ensure OA++ users have the most recent signatures from the first boot on.
  • Several popups tweaks to fix missing string replacements ("%s" in messages).
  • Improved self protection for malware that emulates hotkeys and activated "Learning Mode" by itself.
  • Added "Not-trusted" status in the Domains view back to the legend to clarify it's meaning.

Known problems:

• The setup may offer you a trial version although it is no longer available on your system.
  • The translations may be incomplete at the moment.
  • Running Chrome inside a Sandboxie sandbox won't work unless you exclude Chrome from Online Armor.
  • Under Windows 7 x86 SP1 certain window message APIs aren't monitored correctly.
  • Installing software inside Sandboxie may not work due to Online Armor blocking certain DLLs from being loaded in the sandboxed installer.

How to report bugs?

Please send all bugs you find via mail to [email protected] or report them in the official Online Armor forum. Please understand that we can't monitor all possible security forums to look for bug reports there. So if you don't report them via the official channels there is a possibility your bug report will never be seen by our staff. In addition please make sure to include detailed information on the error itself as well as the circumstances in which it occurred and any steps necessary to reproduce it. This includes but is not limited to:

• Version information about your operating system as well as the active applications at the time the problem occurred.
  • In the case of error messages or graphical problems, make sure to include a screenshot of the problem.
  • In the case of a blue screen please attach the dump files found in the Windows Minidump folder. It is not enough to submit them using the crash dump submission tool. Send them via mail!
  • In the case of any software malfunction (both Online Armor or any third party application) please consider enabling debug mode, reproducing the problem and including the debug logs in your initial submission. Most likely you will be asked to submit them at some point anyways so it may be a good idea to include them upfront.

In advance: Thank you for your help and submissions! :)

Last but not least we hope you will all like the changes in Online Armor 5.0 and we are looking forward to your feedback. In addition we would appreciate it if you could point us towards discussions about Online Armor 5.0 on other forums if you are aware of them or if you have re-posted this thread in another forum yourself. A little notification including a link as a reply here or via mail to [email protected] is highly appreciated :).

Hi Fabian,

Installing software inside Sandboxie may not work due to Online Armor blocking certain DLLs from being loaded in the sandboxed installer.

It's not only software installed inside SBie can not work properly due to OA blocking certain DLLs, but also those installed outside but forced to run inside SBie can not work properly with the same message says missing DLLs...Otherwise RC2 is working fine, even with DefenseWall 3.11beta. :thumbs:

My regards,

Tyler

What has changed since the last RC:

- Added "Not-trusted" status in the Domains view back to the legend to clarify it's meaning.

I was wondering if it's now possible to manually set entries to Not-Trusted status?

Regards,

N.

Just installed RC2 and tried out the SCW. It's still getting stuck on .lnk files when it's scanning the startmenu :(

The SCW was working fine in version 4.0.0.45 wich is the version that I am still using.

All the versions that came after that had an annoying bug in SCW that would cause it to freeze when it was scanning the startmenu.

Will this problem be fixed in the near future?

I'm using Win 7 32 bit version.

I was wondering if it's now possible to manually set entries to Not-Trusted status?

No, it's still not possible to manually set the status to Not Trusted. I don't really see much benefit in having this option really as Not Trusted only means BITS jobs associated with that domain are blocked. It doesn't block anything other than BITS jobs, and you get an alert for these that you can choose to Block and the domain will be added as Not Trusted. I suppose, if you then changed your mind about BITS jobs being blocked and Trusted this domain and then later changed your mind again, you couldn't set it back to Not Trusted. You'd have to delete the entry and answer a prompt when a BITS job tried to run. Still, I don't think this is a very likely scenario to occur but maybe Emsisoft will think about it :)

hallo everybody!As I wrote about the first version:"there was a small problem from 5,0.at the start of record player of Online Armor 5,0 constantly asks permission on the start of visualizer of SoundSpectrum G - Force, I mark the program reliable, I accord permission, but at the next start of record player all recurs again."

In the second version of this error doesn't exist. Well works. Thanks!!! :)

I suppose, if you then changed your mind about BITS jobs being blocked and Trusted this domain and then later changed your mind again, you couldn't set it back to Not Trusted. You'd have to delete the entry and answer a prompt when a BITS job tried to run.

Thanks, catprincess

Yeah, actually I was thinking about that particular scenario... : )

Installed the program (Online Armor++ Trial) on Windows 7 64-bit SP1 with only Malwarebytes installed. After reboot, many program are unable to run and produce a popup...

onlinearmorerror.JPG

Never used this program before so I have no idea how to deal with this. I have to disable HIPS and reboot before I am able to uninstall the program.

Hello,

I have OA++ 5.0.0.934. I was wondering, can I install this RC over the current version I have installed now? Or is it for OA Premium only? Or do I already have the most up-to-date OA++?

A couple things I would like to point out are:

1. When I right click on OA++ icon and click Check for Updates ---> Product Updates, I get this error:

Error during downloading virus signatures: Failed to update the AV module.

When I open up the History tab in OA and click on "Program Guard: kernel event", the box below all the history gives this:

80c20b.png

I have disabled and exited roboform and still, the same exact error and message as in pic. Updating worked yesterday just fine.

2. I wanted to see how well OA++ detected keyloggers so I downloaded a "Key-Logger Simulation Test Program" from here:

http://www.zemana.com/anti-keylogger.aspx

OA++ didn't detect it as a keylogger. Is it a flaw that needs to be looked at?

Hi Daylight,

You can do an upgrade install if you'd like to.

1) Do you have logs (for oasrv & oarau) for the update problem?

2) Zemana's digital signature is trusted by OA. You need to go to Programs, locate the executable related to the key-logger test and mark it as "unknown" by clicking "Untrust" button.

Best regards,

Andrey.

Installed the program (Online Armor++ Trial) on Windows 7 64-bit SP1 with only Malwarebytes installed. After reboot, many program are unable to run and produce a popup...

onlinearmorerror.JPG

Never used this program before so I have no idea how to deal with this. I have to disable HIPS and reboot before I am able to uninstall the program.

Hi PeZzy,

Could you please tell us your OS version/name and what other security software you have installed?

Thanks in advance,

Best regards,

Andrey.

Installed the program (Online Armor++ Trial) on Windows 7 64-bit SP1 with only Malwarebytes installed.

Never used this program before so I have no idea how to deal with this.

Online Armor has a strong HIPS that has been made fairly easy. (Read the FAQ on HIPS if appropriate).

When installed, on setup you'll be offered 2 'automatic' options; 'Trust' and 'Safety Check wizard'.

You can either 'trust everything' on your computer (f.i. after a clean install) or run the wizard an let OA scan your files.

If you don't choose one of these options and reboot, you have actually set OA HIPS to manual mode which means every single actions has to be allowed, manually.

It shows precisely what is checked by the HIPS but grinds your OS to a halt.

That's not how to use OA unless you want to be bored/agitated to death.

So, open OA, choose 'options' and run the 'safety check wizard'.

Afterwards, allow/trust/etc. the files that require manual input.

cheers.