Sign in to follow this  
Fabian Wosar

Online Armor 5.0 third release candidate available!

Hi everyone,

We are proud to present to you the third Online Armor 5.0 release candidate. You can download it here:

http://tmp.emsisoft.com/oa/trunk/5.0.0.1092/OnlineArmorSetup.exe

You can find the English documentation at http://www.emsisoft.com/en/info/oa/. Of course Online Armor 5.0 will be a free upgrade for all customers.

oa5.png

What is new?

• File & Registry Shield
    Users can create rules to limit the access of certain application groups to specified files, folders or registry keys. Due to the advanced nature of this feature it is only available in "Advanced Mode".
  • Completely reworked GUI
    Online Armor 5.0 was adapted to the design of the other Emsisoft products and shows a lot of usage simplifications. Additionally the readability of alert windows has been optimized.
  • IE Addons removed
    The IE Addons menu was removed. BHOs are really just another autorun and are now handled as such.
  • Content filtering in Web Shield removed
    The content filtering aspects of the Web Shield were removed. They were introduced at a time when essentially all browsers lacked control over active content or your private information. Times have changed though and most modern browsers actually do a far superior job now than the Web Shield ever did. Therefore we decided to remove the content filtering from the Web Shield which will result in better compatibility and network performance.
  • Improved self protection on x86 and x64 systems.
  • Over 400 detail improvements and bug fixes based on user and tester feedback.

How to install Online Armor 5.0?

Just run the setup and choose to upgrade your installation.

What has changed since the last RC:

• A few GUI tweaks (license dialog simplifications, changed order of OK and Cancel buttons in some dialogs etc.).
  • Fixed an incompatibility that prevented applications sandboxed by Sandboxie from loading certain DLLs correctly.
  • Fixed a problem that prevented certain GDI APIs from being monitored correctly on Windows 7 x86 SP1.
  • Several translation fixes.

Known problems:

• The setup may offer you a trial version although it is no longer available on your system.
  • The translations may be incomplete at the moment.
  • Running Chrome inside a Sandboxie sandbox won't work unless you exclude Chrome from Online Armor.
  • Certain themeing and desktop applications like RocketDock and WindowBlinds can cause GUI locks and crashes. We recommend to exclude the OAUI.EXE process in those applications.

How to report bugs?

Please send all bugs you find via mail to [email protected] or report them in the official Online Armor forum. Please understand that we can't monitor all possible security forums to look for bug reports there. So if you don't report them via the official channels there is a possibility your bug report will never be seen by our staff. In addition please make sure to include detailed information on the error itself as well as the circumstances in which it occurred and any steps necessary to reproduce it. This includes but is not limited to:

• Version information about your operating system as well as the active applications at the time the problem occurred.
  • In the case of error messages or graphical problems, make sure to include a screenshot of the problem.
  • In the case of a blue screen please attach the dump files found in the Windows Minidump folder. It is not enough to submit them using the crash dump submission tool. Send them via mail!
  • In the case of any software malfunction (both Online Armor or any third party application) please consider enabling debug mode, reproducing the problem and including the debug logs in your initial submission. Most likely you will be asked to submit them at some point anyways so it may be a good idea to include them upfront.

In advance: Thank you for your help and submissions! :)

Last but not least we hope you will all like the changes in Online Armor 5.0 and we are looking forward to your feedback. In addition we would appreciate it if you could point us towards discussions about Online Armor 5.0 on other forums if you are aware of them or if you have re-posted this thread in another forum yourself. A little notification including a link as a reply here or via mail to [email protected] is highly appreciated :).

Installed over previous RC with no issues. Then uninstalled, did a fresh install, trusted everything, imported only Firewall rules. Again all working fine. Just takes too long for the SCW phase for some users. Also came up with computer interface as trusted without asking; a definite security hazard. Default value should be untrusted or ask, since many use WiFi or other public networks.

My wifi network interface properly came up without the "trusted" box being ticked, computer properly displayed as "unknown".

(However, this was not a fresh install.)

Thanks Blues,

I didn't have a "trust" problem either with update installs. Or even with clean installs that restored all the settings. Thought we had fixed this issue some time ago, but it appears to be back.

Definitely something to be aware of...I always like to keep my network interfaces as "untrusted" just in case...Hopefully your heads up will prompt a resolution of this issue.

Hello;

How long will the ver5 final release be...? I am reading a lot lately and will be on the wait for it's release. Anyway it's good that the new version is nearing it's finality. Been waiting and waiting here. Friends are also waiting. Might I ask another question regarding unused licenses..? Here goes:

I have actually 2 unused licenses of OA Premium. One from a blog win and one purchased. I also have one for OA++ from a forum win. All are unused right now. Waiting for ver5 honestly. I have been told by a friend and former OA forum member that license is still good and there is no shelf-life. Can someone confirm that please....?

Friends (not forum members but just plain users) are also asking and waiting for confirmation on that question..Migrated to a different firewall when they encountered some problems and now since I gave word of an RC..bugging me about it. They are still on a "wait and see" then try if they will experience the same problems again after final release(playing it safe or something..).

I am still reading the ongoing thread at Wilders'. The other links I will check-out later.

It may be a good move if someone will make a review of some sort like:

i) Comparing version 4.5 with version 5 on XP/Win7 x32/x64 performance

ii) Observations with Avast ver6(seems a bit buggy still and still in RC)

Stuff like that...a lot here do not frequent forums to interact and just read and read first(well busy people not in the filed of computers). That would be a great help and encouragement for those kind of people to jump onto the new version from their existing apps.

Thank you.

malik:)

How long will the ver5 final release be...?

It has been released about 2 hours ago:

http://www.online-armor.com/downloads.php

I have actually 2 unused licenses of OA Premium. One from a blog win and one purchased. I also have one for OA++ from a forum win. All are unused right now. Waiting for ver5 honestly. I have been told by a friend and former OA forum member that license is still good and there is no shelf-life. Can someone confirm that please....?

There is no shelf-life for single licenses.

Hello;

Thanks very much for the reply. Really appreciate it. I will relay the message here via email to my friends at the office. (We work in different shifts and we only talk/have a gathering when we can). I will also ask/encourage them to join/participate here.

I hope that this will be considered.

"It may be a good move if someone will make a review of some sort like:

i) Comparing version 4.5 with version 5 on XP/Win7 x32/x64 performance

ii) Observations with Avast ver6(seems a bit buggy still and still in RC)"

One question if I may(again). Is RunSafer still there? Previously I tend to use it like Sandboxie(when I was with the freeware version of SBIE)..it can be used as such right..?

"Running Chrome inside a Sandboxie sandbox won't work unless you exclude Chrome from Online Armor."

-- I use SBIE paid. If I instead will not run Chrome in SBIE but run it with RunSafer, will I get the same limited-restriction as SBIE? Will Chrome work well in that scenario?

-- How about Avast Sandbox?(though I am not fond of using it...I'd like to ask this one for opinions). I have tried it before and compared it with RunSafer...seems alike...Can I have some comments on this please...thanks again!

Thanks again!

malik

One question if I may(again). Is RunSafer still there? Previously I tend to use it like Sandboxie(when I was with the freeware version of SBIE)..it can be used as such right..?

Yes, RunSafer is still present in OA 5 :) RunSafer uses a Windows API to limit the rights of programs set to RunSafer. It's exactly like running with a limited user account, except you are doing so only for selected programs. RunSafer doesn't work like Sandboxie though. It limits what the program can do; it doesn't sandbox it.

@ catprincess,

Thanks very much for the information given. I will remember that.

"-- How about Avast Sandbox?(though I am not fond of using it...I'd like to ask this one for opinions). I have tried it before and compared it with RunSafer...seems alike...Can I have some comments on this please.."

--any comments on this one please...

Thanks all:)