Sign in to follow this  
Fabian Wosar

Online Armor 5.0 has been released!

Hi everyone,

We are proud to present to you the Online Armor 5.0 release. You can download it here:

http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/oa/

You can find the English documentation at http://www.emsisoft.com/en/info/oa/. Of course Online Armor 5.0 will be a free upgrade for all customers.

premium_status.png

What is new?

• File & Registry Shield
    Users can create rules to limit the access of certain application groups to specified files, folders or registry keys. Due to the advanced nature of this feature it is only available in "Advanced Mode".
  • Completely reworked GUI
    Online Armor 5.0 was adapted to the design of the other Emsisoft products and shows a lot of usage simplifications. Additionally the readability of alert windows has been optimized.
  • IE Addons removed
    The IE Addons menu was removed. BHOs are really just another autorun and are now handled as such.
  • Content filtering in Web Shield removed
    The content filtering aspects of the Web Shield were removed. They were introduced at a time when essentially all browsers lacked control over active content or your private information. Times have changed though and most modern browsers actually do a far superior job now than the Web Shield ever did. Therefore we decided to remove the content filtering from the Web Shield which will result in better compatibility and network performance.
  • Improved self protection on x86 and x64 systems.
  • Over 400 detail improvements and bug fixes based on user and tester feedback.

How to upgrade from a previous version to Online Armor 5.0?

Just run the setup and choose to upgrade your installation. In addition we will start distributing Online Armor 5.0 via online update within the next week.

Known problems:

• The setup may offer you a trial version although it is no longer available on your system.
  • Running Chrome inside a Sandboxie sandbox won't work unless you exclude Chrome from Online Armor.
  • Certain themeing and desktop applications like RocketDock and WindowBlinds can cause GUI locks and crashes. We recommend to exclude the OAUI.EXE process in those applications.

Last but not least we hope you will all like the changes in Online Armor 5.0 and we are looking forward to your feedback. In addition we would welcome it if you could point us towards discussions about Online Armor 5.0 on other forums if you are aware of them or if you have re-posted this thread in another forum yourself. A little notification including a link as a reply here or via mail to [email protected] is highly appreciated :).

How to upgrade from a previous version to Online Armor 5.0?

Just run the setup and choose to upgrade your installation. In addition we will start distributing Online Armor 5.0 via online update within the next week.

Here's hoping the distribution works better than the roll out of .431.

I assumed that I would have been updated automatically (OA Premium), and found out by accident months later that I hadn't, so had to do it manually.

I'm a register user of Online Armor ++. I recently updated to version 5,

imported my old settings. I then checked options to see if there were any

changes because of the new version. I found my exclusions list empty. I

added my exclusion but they are not being retained. If I return to

exclusions, I find they have been removed.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Larry

I'm back again. After trying out RC2 and getting major problems with HIPS, I tried this release and the problem persists...

http://support.emsisoft.com/topic/4054-online-armor-50-second-release-candidate-available/page__view__findpost__p__23954

Other Security Software: None (Windows Defender)

My account is an administrator on this computer and I always have UAC disabled. I installed Online Armor++ as a trial. There was a popup that asked me to allow "TLEM Network Service" to install, which I did, and I checked "always trust Emsisoft". I made sure to select "trust everything" on my computer. Online Armor started up after install and did its safety check, updating the files and exploring my whole computer. I restarted when it asked me to. When I logged in after restart, the first popup was a rundll32.exe application error 0Xc0000142 (See my previous post) followed by several other application 0xc0000142 error popups. Online Armor then went into a "learning mode". When it finished the learning process, I rebooted again but the popups were still coming up and I was unable to run many programs such as Internet Explorer. I disabled HIPS and rebooted, so that I can use my computer normally, but the only reason I would purchase this software is for the HIPS.

Prior to installing the latest release of Online Armor, I have installed, used, and uninstalled Comodo Internet Security, Prevx 3.0, Ad-aware Total Security, AntiVir Premium, Malwarebytes Antimalware (paid). Prior to installing Online Armor RC2 I had used F-Secure and G-Data on this computer. All of the security software I have used on this computer have functioned normally, except for Online Armor. My computer is 'clean' thanks to all the programs I have tried.

If you require more information, let me know. Please don't ask me to reinstall Windows because it isn't going to happen. :P

I'm back again. After trying out RC2 and getting major problems with HIPS, I tried this release and the problem persists...

http://support.emsisoft.com/topic/4054-online-armor-50-second-release-candidate-available/page__view__findpost__p__23954

If you've had a few other firewalls installed previously, it could be that there are some leftovers from them remaining that are conflicting with OA. In this case, it's best to uninstall OA and reboot twice before starting the cleanup. I think CIS has a clean up tool mentioned here https://forums.comodo.com/install-setup-configuration-help-cis/cleanup-tool-for-comodo-internet-security-t36499.0.html that you might try. I don't know if Adware Total Security has a similar tool, but perhaps their customer support can help you with that. The same goes for F-Secure and G Data (if you were running the versions that includes a firewall). Once everything has been cleaned up, you could try reinstalling OA again :)

If you've had a few other firewalls installed previously, it could be that there are some leftovers from them remaining that are conflicting with OA.

OA's Firewall works perfectly...the HIPS portion causes problems. I have no remnants of F-Secure or G-Data running in my processes or services. Nothing in the registry. CCleaner didn't find anything.

Is there anyone out there using OA with Windows 7 64-bit SP1 with an AMD64 processor (eg. 1090T)?

I am running OA++ w7x64SP1 but with an Intel core I3 processor. As far as cleaning out residue, CCleaner is pretty lightweight. Several of the products you mention know they can leave undesirable residue, so provide more extensive cleanup you can find at http://uninstallers.blogspot.com/ .

Went to that website and ran a bunch of uninstallers...even ran uninstallers for programs that weren't installed. I work in an IT field, so I don't install bloatware like the average computer user.

Have you informed your translators of this OA release? :blink:

mmmh... also the Italian version shows "not-translated" parts... :/

mmmh... also the Italian version shows "not-translated" parts... :/

i'm Italian too, and there are many not translated strings :rolleyes:

i'm Italian too, and there are many not translated strings :rolleyes:

Sorry, at first I did not realize you were Italian.

Yeah, I noticed several not translated strings when I updated my father's PC to OA 5.0 - I use the English version though.

Are you still having problems with OA, PeZzy?

I tried installing it again, but I get the same error. One thing that I have noticed is that my 64-bit programs run but my 32-bit programs don't. For example, my computer has both 32 and 64 bit versions of Internet Explorer 9 and Windows Media Player. The 64-bit runs fine but the 32-bit crashes with the popup 0xc0000142 error. When I right-click on the OA systray icon and shutdown OA, everything runs.

I tried installing it again, but I get the same error. One thing that I have noticed is that my 64-bit programs run but my 32-bit programs don't. For example, my computer has both 32 and 64 bit versions of Internet Explorer 9 and Windows Media Player. The 64-bit runs fine but the 32-bit crashes with the popup 0xc0000142 error. When I right-click on the OA systray icon and shutdown OA, everything runs.

Okay, thanks for the additional information, PeZzy. I'm sure Emsisoft will see if they can look into the problem :)

Okay, thanks for the additional information, PeZzy. I'm sure Emsisoft will see if they can look into the problem :)

I just want to add that I see 32-bit processes running in task manager, but their GUI/systray portions will not run.

Here's hoping the distribution works better than the roll out of .431.

I assumed that I would have been updated automatically (OA Premium), and found out by accident months later that I hadn't, so had to do it manually.

I'm still waiting to be automatically updated, (or do Emsisoft have something against me? :) )

In Run Safe mode, both Firefox and Internet explorer stop downloading files.

The pannel to save file open, I choose location to save, the panel closes and...the browser freezes. I am forced to stop the process.

Without Run Safe mode, I got not no problem.

My config :

- XP 32 bits

- Firefox / Internet Explorer latest releases

- Online Armor 5.0.0.1100

- Avira premium Security Suite 10.0.0.124 (firewall not installed)

Thanks for help

In Run Safe mode, both Firefox and Internet explorer stop downloading files.

The pannel to save file open, I choose location to save, the panel closes and...the browser freezes. I am forced to stop the process.

Without Run Safe mode, I got not no problem.

My config :

- XP 32 bits

- Firefox / Internet Explorer latest releases

- Online Armor 5.0.0.1100

- Avira premium Security Suite 10.0.0.124 (firewall not installed)

Thanks for help

I gather that as of version 10, Avira Premium Security Suite has some sort of HIPS included. It may be that this is conflicting with OA's own HIPS.

Is there any place where users of Online Armor free version can download the most recent/new '5.0.0.1100' version?

Or do we have to wait for the main --http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/oa/-- page to be updated?

Regards, Baserk

Is there any place where users of Online Armor free version can download the most recent/new '5.0.0.1100' version?

Or do we have to wait for the main --http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/oa/-- page to be updated?

Regards, Baserk

Hi Baserk,

The 5.0.0.1100 is being given out via automatic updates (for paid/trial licenses).

However, the only difference is a glitch that was fixed in .1100 and put on updates. There's no difference in security between .1100 and .1097. The binaries (executables) that are available via automatic updates are all the same with exception to oaui.exe which is different.

Best regards,

Andrey.

Hi Baserk,

The 5.0.0.1100 is being given out via automatic updates (for paid/trial licenses).

Thanks for posting, Andrey.

But it doesn't really answer my question. Where/when can users of the free OA version, download 5.0.0.1100?

Or is the OA GUI glitch/error, which has apparantly been solved with the most recent update, only present in the paid OA Premium version and not in the free version?

Regards, Baserk

When there are further important updates (ie. security related or fixes for issues that cause usage problems), a new installer that also includes this would be available. There is no actual exe installer for 5.0.0.1100 (for any editions) to be placed on the download page. Like Andrey mentioned, it's a single file that is delivered via the paid version's automatic update mechanism.

I am experiencing the same problems as PeZzy. I was running OA++ v4.x before with 0 problems and decided to do a manual update yesterday. I now have OA++ 5.0.0.1100 and am having problems.

Other Security Software: None (defualt Windows Defender & Firewall, both off)

OA++ Components Running: All (Firewall, Web Shield, Program Guard, Anti-Keylogger, Antivirus)

After the update from v4.x to v5.0.0.1100, all programs trusted, untrusted or Win 7 system programs would not run and would give me the error message:

"The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142). Click OK to close the application"

This applies to all programs that try to start AFTER OA++ v5 starts. I cannot run the task manager, computer manager, IE 8, FireFox, or any other program (or dll). The only way I can successfully log into my computer is to make sure OA is completely off and the Online Armor service is stopped. I had to boot into Safe Mode in order to disable the OA services before I could log in normally. With the OA services disabled, everything runs fine. I can load instances of the task manager, IE, and other programs. However, as soon as I start the OA services and run OA++ v5, no further programs will run and I receive the error above. The programs that are already running continue to function after I start OA++ v5, but no new programs can be started.

I have tried disabling each separate OA component including deactivating HIPS with no luck. In fact, even if I choose "Close and Shutdown Online Armor" from the OA menu in the system tray, I cannot run programs and I see the error message above.

Because I use only Online Armor as my computer's security system, my computer is kind of crippled right now. I have enjoyed years of protection from OA. I need to know a solution to this problem. I would prefer not to re-install an older version and re-teach that version everything I have tought it over the years, but if that is the only solution, I would like to know.

PeZzy, I see your last response was April 17. Since then, has anything been resolved for you? What did you do to correct or workaround the problem?

Thanks and Best Regards,

Flynn

Hi Flynn,

I know this isn't really what you will be hoping to hear, but the first thing I'd try would be to uninstall, reboot twice to make sure the drivers are properly removed and then reinstall v5 cleanly. I can't be sure this will solve the problem, but in many cases a clean install of the latest version does resolve issues. Before doing this, you could make a backup of your settings via Options -> Backup/Restore and save it to a safe location. I would not restore them during the Wizard, but if all is well after installation, you could perhaps try restoring them then.

Hi Flynn,

I know this isn't really what you will be hoping to hear, but the first thing I'd try would be to uninstall, reboot twice to make sure the drivers are properly removed and then reinstall v5 cleanly. I can't be sure this will solve the problem, but in many cases a clean install of the latest version does resolve issues. Before doing this, you could make a backup of your settings via Options -> Backup/Restore and save it to a safe location. I would not restore them during the Wizard, but if all is well after installation, you could perhaps try restoring them then.

As you suggested, I uninstalled OA++ v5, rebooted twice, made sure all drivers were removed and then downloaded the current OA++ v5 from the website. I installed OA++ v5, validated my license, and did a clean install (not restoring any old settings). Unfortunately, the same error occurs and every program fails with the message below after the OA++ v5 service starts up:

"The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142). Click OK to close the application"

My original problem remains. The only way to run anything is to disable the main OA service and restart (without any protection from OA).

So, it appears that OA++ v5 will not work for me. Where can I download older versions of OA? I was using 4.x(? I think 4.5) before with no problems. If there is no place to download older versions, how about just the last version before v5? I have an install file for OA 3.5, but I don't think that's an acceptable solution. I had such trust in OA that I purchased a 2 year subscription at the time. I have over 1 year left on that. Please provide me with a solution or, at the very least, a download link or area so I can restore my system to the previous working version of OA++.

Thanks for your help,

Flynn

I gave up on trying to get OA to work. I thought it might be a compatibility problem with how an AMD64 processor operates under Windows 7. It could also have been caused by G-Data 2011 antivirus that was previously installed. It's all speculation as I don't have the time to troubleshoot. I used various 'cleaners' without success.

Currently I am running a bizarre combination of Comodo Internet Security - Firewall Only, Avira Antivirus Premium, Emsisoft Anti-Malware, Malwarebytes Anti-malware Pro and Zemana Anti-logger. They all seems to work together, but I had to disable Comodo Firewall's auto-update as it was not functioning properly and was not really needed. My computer is fairly fast so it doesn't get bogged-down by all this software.

Did either of you try running sfc /scannow (system file checker) then rebooting?

I also just tried running sfc /scannow. There were no problems with the files and no change to my issues with OA v5, even with another re-install.

I have found an OA v4.5 installer on an archive site. I have not installed it yet, because I want to verify that the file has not been tampered with. It is 19,956,408 bytes, digitally signed by Emsi Software GmbH, validated by Verisign, and has an MD5 checksum of AC3701C0564575A2163FE0CF3DA710D3.

Can anyone at Emisoft confirm this as an untouched installer based on the data above? Or is there an approved place that I can download the 4.5 installer from?

Thanks,

Flynn

Are there any other troubleshooting options for this problem? I have tried the complete uninstall and re-install with no luck. I have run the windows sfc (system file checker) showing that there were no problems with the system files. I have uninstalled, restarted many times without OA, reinstalled OA 5, 4.5 and 3.5 but all versions are causing the same problem that happened only AFTER I updated the main OA app (from 4.x to 5). I have seen other people on these forums with the same problem updating from 4 to 4.5 or 4.5 to 5. This is not an isolated problem. The problem in detail:

System: IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad T60p, Intel 2+ GHz, 3GB RAM

Problem beginning: OA++ (paid) works fine since the first install after purchasing. I personally have been using it for almost 1 year (of my 2 year purchased license) with no problems before I updated it.

After the update to a new version (in my case 4.x to 5), all programs that try to start AFTER the main OA service starts give the message:

"The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142). Click OK to close the application."

This prevents a successful login and renders the computer useless.

If I set the main OA service to start manually instead of automatic, then OA does not start and I can login and use my computer. All programs will load fine, however the protection of OA++ is not present.

After I manually start the main OA service (the instant it is fully started and running), all programs that I try to run or that the system tries to run (like the screen saver) fail with the message above.

The only way I can use my computer with OA now (after the update) is:

1) prevent OA from starting the service and starting up with the computer

2) load all the applications that I'd like to use into memory (like email, a web browser, MS word, etc...)

3) start the OA service

After that, all _currently_ running programs are OK and will function (as long as they don't call for new windows or additional plugins). However, trying to run any new programs fail with the error above. Additionally, if I accidentally close one of the open programs (like Internet Explorer), I cannot load it again as it gives me the error message above.

It seems like the update and/or uninstalls may be leaving some registry or other stuff behind and now, just by running the main OA service from the computer manager, ALL programs fail with the error above. That is, I do not need to even load Online Armor, all I have to do is start the service and all programs fail to load.

At this point, I couldn't uninstall OA and buy a new one to make it work even if I wanted.

I still have 400+ days left on my paid subscription and would like some other troubleshooting options. I also have OA on another Windows 7 machine (I didn't update that one, though, thank god) and it's working fine. However that subscription is going to run out soon and I can't help but let it run out if the support for OA trouble is like this.

I look forward to hearing some other, realistic, troubleshooting options.

Thanks,

Flynn

Hi,

Please download and run Process Monitor from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645. If you ran Process Monitor before a rule dialog may pop up. Make sure to reset the filters there. If you never ran Process Monitor before the dialog is skipped and you will find yourself directly inside the application with lots of events being logged. The next step is to start Online Armor. Once loaded try to execute Notepad to reproduce the problem. If Notepad doesn't cause the issue choose a different application. Once you see the error message go to Process Monitor and save the log (File, Save and choose All events as well as Native Process Monitor Format). Then reboot to make your system usable again and send the created log file to [email protected] Since the log files created by Process Monitor can get quite big you may want to consider compressing it using a compression format of your choice like ZIP or RAR.

Please include a link to this thread in your mail as well as the name of the application you used to reproduce the problem.

I have to admit, I was worried about the transition between Tall Emu and Emsisoft. Whenever companies change over like this, things usually start to go downhill, the new company starts removing and changing features/looks you loved about the old program and overall the new versions are never as good as the old ones. Up until now I was running the latest Tall Emu version, 4.0.0.45, due to the fear that if I upgraded I would lose key features and would experience new bugs and glitches that I did not have before.

I got an email today about my subscription expiring and decided to look into what Emsisoft has done to OA since the last time I updated. I noticed there has been some things added that I might like, so I decided to officially say goodbye to Tall Emu and transition to Emsisoft and I upgraded to v5.0.

Overall I am quite pleased, everything still works like it did with TE's version, except now everything looks nicer and there is a handful of great new features that further extend the security of OA. One of the most interesting changes is the Files and Registry feature. I think this is a great addition, as this lets me customize how OA reacts to very specific folders or drives on my computer. Up until now, my OA rules applied to every folder and drive on my computer universally, however with v5 I can set specific parameters for individual parts of my system. Very nice!

Although after doing some simple tests with the File restrictions, it seems this feature is still not 100% yet. I tested this on my second partition on my computer (which is a dual boot XP partition, which has the drive letter C). The file mask is C:\* (so this should mean everything on the C drive is under the new restrictions) I also clicked the 'Include sub-directories'. However even if I set the rule scope for create, delete, modify, read and set everything to 'ask' I can still access some files and even delete some files/folders without OA asking me if I should allow it. I can even add new files, pictures and folders (and delete them) without any prompts. Certain things will bring up the OA prompt, but it seems random at best. Take note that I have not set for anything to be remembered, an my program list for this file rule is empty. Perhaps this has to do with the files being on a separate partition, I will do some more experimenting with files on my root drive.

Either way the registry and file rules is a very neat addition, and I hope you guys keep making it better. As for the rest of the new v5, I cannot complain. All the same options and features I used in 4.0.0.45 are still there and are working great!

I could not get the Files and Registry to do much. I tried a rule of:

Mask: D:\My Development\*

Rule type: ticked all

All programs set to ask

Never seemed to get a popup :blink:

Not sure how this fits with allowing programs to say create exes, which takes precedence?

Hi ITPython and Alycat,

It's not clear from your posts what program or method you were using to access the files you protected so I'm unsure if this is relevant to your case, but the webhelp states the following:

Online Armor's processes and critical Windows processes are exempt from any file rules. This is to ensure that it isn't possible to unintentionally create file rules that would render your system unbootable.

Yep, assumed that.

I had Delphi running, so I used it to change a file (under that directory) and save it, no prompt, then recompiled the project, no prompt, then exited Delphi, no prompt. Not sure, but I would have thought they would be prompts on all of those, am I misunderstanding how this works? Do I have to set something up under Programs on that tab?

Yep, assumed that.

I had Delphi running, so I used it to change a file (under that directory) and save it, no prompt, then recompiled the project, no prompt, then exited Delphi, no prompt. Not sure, but I would have thought they would be prompts on all of those, am I misunderstanding how this works? Do I have to set something up under Programs on that tab?

Is File Shield showing as ticked under Files and Registry -> Options?

Yeah, I never thought an "Option" tab would switch a whole feature on/off, I thought options would contain ... well options on how it ran, I had thought ticking read, write, etc would do that... but I should have checked that tab. Seems to be working, but a few things didn't look right, will check more.

Oh, and why does changing the wildcard from * to *.* disable the "Include sub-dirs" check box?

This is quoted from this page http://www.emsisoft.com/en/info/oa/Filerules.html of the webhelp:

Include sub-directories – Allows you choose whether sub-directories of the file mask should be included in the rule. This option will become available after browsing and selecting a folder. If you manually enter a path and mask, this option will only be available if you use the standard mask format (all files in the root of a target folder).

The format you entered isn't the standard mask format, so as per the webhelp, the option becomes greyed out :)

My understanding when I read the help was that if you chose a "non-standard" mask the option was not used. However, the option is still shown as on (if it was before the mask was changed), but the check box is disabled. That implies to me the option to use sub-dirs is on but is not allowed to be changed. Help indicates the option is off...

My understanding when I read the help was that if you chose a "non-standard" mask the option was not used. However, the option is still shown as on (if it was before the mask was changed), but the check box is disabled. That implies to me the option to use sub-dirs is on but is not allowed to be changed. Help indicates the option is off...

When the option is greyed out and the checkbox is unable to be ticked or unticked, it's not in use for that rule. Whether or not it's ticked in that greyed out state just has to do with the last selected state prior to it being greyed out.