jjb2011

Run Safer: Type of User - Normal, Constrained or Untrusted?

I read a lengthy description of Drop My Rights which speaks of THREE types of limited user settings:

Normal (N): lets some viruses by in testing.

Constrained ©: recommended setting and no viruses got by an unprotected system

Untrusted (U)

What level is OA "Run Safer"? I keep telling people to avoid the hassles of Drop My Rights by going with OA but this question came up.

I'd put the link to the N versus C versus U here if any one wants it (it comes from a rival vendor though).

I read a lengthy description of Drop My Rights which speaks of THREE types of limited user settings:

Normal (N): lets some viruses by in testing.

Constrained ©: recommended setting and no viruses got by an unprotected system

Untrusted (U)

What level is OA "Run Safer"? I keep telling people to avoid the hassles of Drop My Rights by going with OA but this question came up.

I'd put the link to the N versus C versus U here if any one wants it (it comes from a rival vendor though).

Hi JJB2011

First you might check out this article. It suggests OA Run safer as an alternative to Drop My Rights. While I can't answer the specific's of your question, I can tell you from testing I did a while back, it will pretty much protect you from most stuff out there, UNLESS, the malware doesn't need admin privilege. In that case non of the type programs will help.

Pete

Thanks, guys. I already read those two items but the one that got me thinking is this one:

http://www.symantec.com/connect/articles/reducing-browser-privileges

It is the only actual malware test that I have found of Drop My Rights. Since MS really pushes dropping rights, one would think there would be more tests. Perhaps there are such tests?

NOTE: The "N" (Normal) setting did let by half the viruses (roughly) and that test was run in 2005. I've read that malware has gotten more savvy since then. On the other hand, the "C" (Constrained) setting blocked all malware when they ran this (admittedly old) test.

BUT . . . I could only get Drop My Rights to work with my browsers in "N" mode. They wouldn't open in C or U (I have IE 9, Google Chrome 10, FF 4 on Windows 7 64-bit). My _guess_ is that "Run Safer" is the "Normal" mode and thus provides some protection but not so much in 2011? Just a guess, hence my inquiry.

If OA has run tests, that would be interesting.

Thanks again!