Kapparho

Online Armor 5 GUI Unresponsive

Hi,

I am currently experiencing the following problem with Online Armor 5. If I open the GUI then whenever I select any menu item on the left I get the timer curor and nothing changes in the right hand side. Further I am unable to close the GUI. If I change between advanced and standard mode from the right click menu on the icon in the notification area then the menu on the right hand side of the GUI changes even when it is in its unresponsive state. This is happening 100% of the time.

I have tried reininstalling (over the top) and it makes no difference. If I uninstall and then reinstall then it appears to work for a short time possibly until a reboot but I am not certain of that as yet.

Once it gets into its unresponsive state it is not possible to force quit from windows and clearly due to the nature of the product I suspect it can't be killed directly from processes.

Current system is Windows 7 SP 1. No other anti anything apart from Emsisoft Anti-Malware :) No obvious clues in any of the system logs.

Thanks for your help.

R

Have you tried putting Emsisoft Anti Malware into OA excusions and adding OA to Emsisofts exclusions?

Reboot afterwards and see if things have improved.

Hi and thank you for your prompt reply. No I have not tried that yet. I should add to my original post that everything was working fine prior to my upgrade to version 5 of OA (this may of corse be a coincidence). Is there any way I can add anti malware to OA's exclusions without using the gui ? I will add things in the other way around though and let you know what happens. If all else fails I will try blocking connectivity to the lan and shutting down anti-malware and then giving oa a try. Will report back if anything significant happens !

Another possible cause for GUI issues are shell or theming applications like Rocket Dock, WindowBlinds and others. Do you use any software of those kinds? If you do exclude OA in there as well.

OK an update

Stapp "Sheep expert" - disturbing :)

Added exclusions into Anti-Malware and managed to get into the options in OA on reboot (as the system was booting) and added exclusions there. It now gets interesting. I can get into OA GUI as intended now but if I select the History "tab" then it becomes unresponsive as before. Any other tab appears to be fine until history is selected. Now previously it had always been opening on the history tab so adding the exclusions may or may not have made a difference.

Fabian, thank you for your thoughts. I do indeed have windowblinds installed but not active, I will however add the exclusions and see what difference it makes.

Thanks again both for your thoughts.

R

Just wondering if it's possible for you to access 'history' at all.

Then you could select the clear history button, reboot and see if there is any improvement.

(don't worry about me being a 'sheep expert' :))

OK an update

Stapp "Sheep expert" - disturbing :)

Added exclusions into Anti-Malware and managed to get into the options in OA on reboot (as the system was booting) and added exclusions there. It now gets interesting. I can get into OA GUI as intended now but if I select the History "tab" then it becomes unresponsive as before. Any other tab appears to be fine until history is selected. Now previously it had always been opening on the history tab so adding the exclusions may or may not have made a difference.

Fabian, thank you for your thoughts. I do indeed have windowblinds installed but not active, I will however add the exclusions and see what difference it makes.

Thanks again both for your thoughts.

R

Just a thought - maybe if you'd wait a bit longer - the GUI'd become responsive again?

Best regards,

Andrey.

Just as an update to this I have tried various options but it is still locking up all of the time the configuration window is opened thus rendering the program "sub optimal" (being polite). I can't see any programs that could or are interracting with this.

One fact I did not post is that in its "locked up state" it is still using a high processor utilisation but a fairly small memory footprint leading me to wonder if it is loading correctly in the first place. oaui.exe 17% cpu (constant) 5.356 Mb.

Once this has been opened the only way to close it again is to log off or reboot.

Any (polite :) suggestions most welcome.

I should also have added I did manage to clear history eventually. Very ocassionally I can get into the options to do this - no pattern that I have found as yet.

Further I left it talking to itself on several occasions to see if it either freed up or timed out with an error the longest period was for just over eight hours (overnight) and this appeared to make no difference at all.

Sort of leads me to think of a sort of race condition where if one element is loading before the other it locks but if things load the otherway around it is ok.

My only other comment (bassed on the lack of "me too" type posts here) is "Why me!". :)

I recall you mentioning to Fabian that you use WindowsBlinds. When you excluded OA in WindowsBlinds, were you able to exclude oaui.exe? I ask because I'm not sure what sort of exclusion options WindowsBlinds offers. You may well have already excluded the whole Online Armor folder perhaps in which case oaui.exe would already be excluded.

I used the sledgehammer approach (at least until I found the offending item) and uninstalled WB completely (along with all other stardock software). I was planning to reinstall items one at a time when the source of the conflict is found.

I replied in the beta forum that I'm having the same issue, even in build 1125. I'm not using WindowsBlinds or anything like it. Just Acronis True Image in the backround.

Well at least I dont feel so "alone" now :)

Seriously though, I do apreciate everyones responses. I know what a pain it can be trying to identify these unusual conflicts.

I believe there are many having this same issue. I too have never had a similar issue with OA 4 and previous, but after installing OA 5 this last week I have the freezing issue as well. It is specifically on the 'History' tab. I completely uninstalled the new version , rebooted twice like Cat Princess always suggests and then reinstalled OA 5. As I went down the tabs setting options, exceptions etc I got to the History tab and it froze there. I get the 'waiting' cursor from Win 7 and am unable to kill it. I go to the tray icon and close the program completely but the GUI stays on my screen unresponsive. I then went to task manager and all the processes for OA were still running and were still 'protecting' themselves from being shut down so I could not kill the processes. I had to reboot my system to get the GUI off my screen.

I do not run Window Blinds, although I do run other Stardock programs. I'm guessing it's not related to Stardock because the other tabs in OA work fine-- it's just when I get to the History tab that everything locks up on OA. I can go on working on all programs on my system with no issues other than the OA GUI is sitting in the middle of my screen. The reinstall didn't accomplish anything.

I have other minor bugs that are annoying but I can work around them. This issue is annoying 'bigtime'.

One final observation. The GUI does not become 'responsive' again no matter how long I wait.

We located a problem in the grid views of the history and the programs list that can cause this issue. We are already working on a fix. Is it ok if I send you a pre-release version as soon as the fix is ready?

We located a problem in the grid views of the history and the programs list that can cause this issue. We are already working on a fix. Is it ok if I send you a pre-release version as soon as the fix is ready?

I was just coming back to the forum to post a short video that showed the problem in action. It would be great if you found the cause! If you meant me, I would be very interested in trying the new pre-release version to see if the issue is resolved.

Thank you for your quick response.

Thank you for the updates.

I too would be more than happy to try a pre-release update and provide feedback but you certainly sound as if you are in the correct area.

I was just coming back to the forum to post a short video that showed the problem in action. It would be great if you found the cause! If you meant me, I would be very interested in trying the new pre-release version to see if the issue is resolved.

Thank you for your quick response.

Hi blue.lake,

Could you please send the video to oasupport (at) emsisoft (dot) com ?:)

Or pm me a link to it.

Thanks in advance,

Best regards,

Andrey.

Andrey,

My OA updated itself a little earlier today to 5.0.0.1100 and the freeze issue is still there.

I had deleted my video but it was easy to create so I'll do another one in the morning (it's after 1 AM here) and send it on its way to you.

Andrey,

My OA updated itself a little earlier today to 5.0.0.1100 and the freeze issue is still there.

I had deleted my video but it was easy to create so I'll do another one in the morning (it's after 1 AM here) and send it on its way to you.

Many thanks) Waiting for the video...

btw, it'd be great if you'd enable debug logging before reproducing the problem ;)

If you'd not be able to do this via GUI (Options->General, tick the "Enable debug mode" checkbox) then you can try to shutdown OA and create an empty file in OA folder called "oamain.dbg" (without quotes).

After the issue would be reproduced - please zip the contents of "Logs" directory (located at the OA directory) and send it to me too please :)

Thanks in advance,

Best regards,

Andrey.

I have this exact same problem - gui freezing, nothing to be done but reboot.

What's the latest on this? Is there a version available where the fix has been implemented?

OA++ version 5.0.0.100

XP PRO SP3

Cheers

Darren

I have this exact same problem - gui freezing, nothing to be done but reboot.

What's the latest on this? Is there a version available where the fix has been implemented?

OA++ version 5.0.0.100

XP PRO SP3

Cheers

Darren

Hi Darren,

Would you like to try one of the latest beta versions?

Best regards,

Andrey.

This must have to do with more than the just the GUI. Every time I try and get debug files to send when I reproduce the problem (which is easy-- every time I click on the 'History' tab) -- they all show 0 bytes in size. The oamain debug file has a recent time (within a few minutes), but the rest are not only empty but show no activity in days despite thew fact I have tried several times.

I have the same problem with OA freezing but not in the History tab.

When I'm viewing the Programs and I try to delete certain colored entries.......the scrollbar starts going nuts,bouncing up and down.

There is nothing I can do but reboot.........I've tried everything.

I have the same problem with OA freezing but not in the History tab.

When I'm viewing the Programs and I try to delete certain colored entries.......the scrollbar starts going nuts,bouncing up and down.

There is nothing I can do but reboot.........I've tried everything.

Hi ZZZ7,

It would be a good idea to start a new thread for this issue and describe the exact steps that are needed to reproduce it. It sounds like a different problem than the issue in this thread (which is only with the History section). :)

Hi ZZZ7,

It would be a good idea to start a new thread for this issue and describe the exact steps that are needed to reproduce it. It sounds like a different problem than the issue in this thread (which is only with the History section). :)

Solved it myself through anger. lol

It seems that when it freezes,all I have to do is click the wheel mouse down and roll it and it unfreezes..........weird. :)

It seems that when it freezes,all I have to do is click the wheel mouse down and roll it and it unfreezes..........weird. :)

Hi ZZZ7,

After it unfreezes, try right-clicking any program in the Programs list to access the context menu. Then just untick "Autosize columns":

progcontext.png

Perhaps this could be useful in some way.

Regards,

N.

In my case, going on holiday for a little while, then coming back did the trick! :P

Seriously, I did nothing. Didn't download the beta, didn't change anything, the OA version hasn't changed, but here we are a few days later and it works fine.

That's great news Darren.

Folk can now go to their boss and say ''I have to take a few days off as my OA GUI is unresponsive'' :lol:

I installed version 5.0.1.1273 beta two weeks ago and haven't had an issue since. I'm still hesitant to say it resolved the problem because past betas seemed to have done the same but then OA went back to the behavior after a couple weeks. So far so good on this beta.

The same problem happens to me with version 5.1.0.1331. The programs tab sometimes become un responsive but when i click on the right it become responsive again. The prpblem does not happen all the time but most of the time. I registered in the forum just to report this bug.

I also get the same problems with OA - the UI hangs in unpredictable ways, then a logoff/reboot is the only way to close it. Given OA also has problems with Ad Muncher, I'm having to switch it off completely.