Exit OA but processes still running

derekml

Hi I started to do a large copy of files from my hard drive to an external drive (87G of data) and OA went crazy using up CPU, eventually I was able to right mouse click on the OA icon in the little icon panel (bottom right of screen, not sure what this is called) and then I selected close and exit. But still OA services are running. Though eventually the CPU they consume did drop to almost 0.

The folder I was copying from was already in the exclusion list in OA. But the dest folder (being an external drive that is not always turned on) was not. Should I exclude this from OA also.

oasrv.exe is still running and using a little CPU (even after having exited and closed OA)

when lots of CPU was being consumed it was oasrv.exe*32 that was doing the damage.

These are still in the process list though using 0 CPU

oacat.exe*32

oahlp.exe*32

oasrv.exe*32

oaui.exe*32

I am running windows 7 SP1 64bit and the latest OA build of V5.

Until I was able to stop OA and even this took a long time, by machine basically ground to a halt. Can OA be restricted to only ever consuming a max amount of CPU?

Thanks

Derek

Thanks catprinces

It must have been the case that it did not close down properly as you said. I have since restarted machine, exited OA and only oacat.exe*32 is still running.

Should I exclude my drive letters associated with USB external drives when doing large file transfers could this transfer have caused OA to consume a lot of CPU

Thanks

Derek

I've never attempted to transfer a block of files that size (I don't have anything even close to that size to even try) so I don't really know, but it's possible that it could cause the high CPU usage you saw. Excluding the source and destination locations should prevent such a problem reoccuring if you choose to use that method as a temporary workaround. Perhaps Emsisoft will be able to see if they can reproduce the issue :)