Lode

"CLOSE_WAIT" in Firewall Status

Hi!

Sometimes I see "CLOSE_WAIT" as the Status of an IP in the addresses list on the Firewall Status panel. What does that mean?

The reason I am asking is that since a day or so when I try to get my e-mail using my Opera browser with its e-mail program I don't receive it. I now always get a "No new messages for..." which now takes about a whole minute vs the few seconds it took before. And the following appears on OA's panel:

proxy.alice.nl:pop3 / CLOSE_WAIT

I can still get to my e-mail going to the site of my provider -alice.nl- but the e-mails I see there that normally are always send to my laptop are not being send on now. Even when I send a test e-mail to my own address it stays on the site of my provider. This has not happened before in the years I am with this provider.

(In the mean time I'll scan for malware...)

Hi!

Sometimes I see "CLOSE_WAIT" as the Status of an IP in the addresses list on the Firewall Status panel. What does that mean?

CLOSE_WAIT indicates that the communication between your application and the remote point has finished, but your application has not yet closed its end of the connection. It's a perfectly normal state for an internet connection that has just finished.

Thank you. :)

After having let a night pass now in the morning my e-mail comes in normally again.

Maybe it was a problem with my provider, or because for the first time I made a gmail account, using my regular e-mail address, and thus created a conflict, or something else, I don't know. Right after posting the above and scanning for malware -nothing found- I canceled both my Google/YouTube and gmail accounts to make sure there was no conflict. I can always make new ones if I would need them.

I am glad it is solved, and now also understand what CLOSE_WAIT stands for. I had seen that many times before over the years of course, but it was only now that I started to worry about it because of the e-mail problem. Not really logical to connect those two, but feeling even slightly upset can interfere with logical thinking... :blush:

Oh well, all's well that ends well. :D

PS:

A dear friend mailed me from the US:

"I sent you a fairly short email this morning 9:32 my time with a bunch of questions in it, but it looks like it might not have gone through. Did you receive it? I've got it in my "Sent" box but it doesn't show up in our correspondence. I was just curious. Also I notice that your name is now showing up as "L. Langeweg" now, not with your full first name. Did you change something?"

So it was the change I made by making that gmail account. If I ever make one again I will make sure to not tie it in with my regular e-mail address.

Video about Google and gmail removed. Interesting, but nothing to do with CLOSE_WAIT

"Video about Google and gmail removed. Interesting, but nothing to do with CLOSE_WAIT."

You're right of course. And it was a bit of vengefulness on my part... :P Oh well... :rolleyes:

Glad that question I have had for years has been answered, and everything is working fine now. B)