Sign in to follow this  
tim-b

Which is correct?

Hi

I've noticed a difference between what EAM 5.1.0.10 and OA 5.0.0.1097 are reporting on download size. I've attached a pic that shows EAM reporting 355kB, while OA reports 104kB downloaded. Is something sneaking past OA, or am I misreading completely?

I'm using XP SP3.

I have found that the popups in OA Premium 5 are easier to read and clearer to understand. The whole look is better, but I'm certainly not qualified to comment on many more of the 400 improvements :blush:

I would say that in use OA is about the same as before. The only niggle was that on installing OA5, EAM didn't recognise OAMINE.EXE and OAUI.EXE which needed adding to the application rules in Guard. No problem to do, but they are from the same company.

Regards

tim-b

I've noticed a difference between what EAM 5.1.0.10 and OA 5.0.0.1097 are reporting on download size. I've attached a pic that shows EAM reporting 355kB, while OA reports 104kB downloaded.

Confirm here. Seems the firewall status of OA 5 is not working fine in XP SP3.Here when I was downloading things, the real-time inbound speed was 404.00 kb/s, but the info. shown within OA was not the same...very strange. :blink: What makes it worse is that my download manager program was not even listed saying how much data had been downloaded by it.

After a reboot of my system, everything return to normal here. But cannot figure out why. See the screenshot below.

I've noticed a difference between what EAM 5.1.0.10 and OA 5.0.0.1097 are reporting on download size. I've attached a pic that shows EAM reporting 355kB, while OA reports 104kB downloaded. Is something sneaking past OA, or am I misreading completely?

I'm using XP SP3.

I don't know how EAM works, but it may not update it's display of downloaded updates at the same rate that OA's firewall status screen updates it's display of downloaded data. Unless both programs update their display at exactly the same time, they wouldn't report the same amount of data :)

Unless both programs update their display at exactly the same time, they wouldn't report the same amount of data :)

Thanks Catprincess

I'm not sure on that one. EAM always seems to stop downloading around 50-60% (between downloading signatures and downloading whitelist). That screenshot was taken after no download progress had happened for a few seconds.

Regards

I don't know how EAM works, but it may not...

Please could I have a definitive answer to this one. Is OA simply misreporting, or is it a more serious problem?

Thanks

tim-b

Please could I have a definitive answer to this one. Is OA simply misreporting, or is it a more serious problem?

Thanks

tim-b

Hi Tim

Couple of things on this.

1. Although OA and EAM are now published by the same company, it didn't start that way, and the development teams working on each product are essentially the same as when the products were started.

2. I've got three different pieces of software, that measure download speed and total kb download, and there is no agreement among them. Why? I don't have a clue, and frankly since I've never seen a problem, I don't

consider it a biggie worth my time to try and figure it out.

3. Is one of the two programs misreporting.. I don't know. Is it a problem? Well have you seen an issue that makes you think it a problem, another words if you hadn't seen the numbers would you even know.

4. My personal feeling is that it not only isn't a serious problem, but not a problem worth worrying about.

5 Hopefully someone can give you a specific answer. I know I can't

Pete

Picking up on Peter's post:

I use Utorrent regularly from 3 years ago. During that time I've used several FWs wich, like OA, would show you download/upload data.

Every time I opened the two GUIs (Utorrent's and the FW's) the speed and amount of data would never coincide.

What did I do? I stoped worrying.

Thanks to all three of you.

My initial concern was some process or another side-stepping OA. The consensus seems to be that it's not a problem, so that's how I'll treat it. :thumbs:

Maybe it's one feature (complication) that could be removed from future builds of both OA and EAM if it serves no accurate and therefore useful purpose.

A simple download percentage in EAM would tell you all that you need to know, and that already exists.

Thanks again

tim-b

The consensus seems to be that it's not a problem, so that's how I'll treat it. :thumbs:

I use eMule. When I check the OA's Firewall Status and the Emule's GUI (Statistics tab), both the speed and amount of data per session are very similar - in other words, only slightly different.

Not an issue in my opinion ; )

I made an inquiry on another forum about this, and the answer made a lot of sense.

1. Good analogy. Measure temperature with 3 different thermometers and you will likely get 3 different measurements. Problem is accuracy of calibration, plus precision of the measuring instrument.

2. Timing in measurement of the various software.

3. If the software that is measuring is running at the same time, they might be interfering with each other and affecting the measurement results.

Bottom line, as concluded, it's not a worry.

Pete