blue.lake

Chrome Slowdown after upgrade to OA version 5

I've looked elsewhere in the forum to see if there are others with this issue, but so far see nothing. I upgraded to version 5 the day before yesterday and immediately after reboot I noticed Google Chrome is very slow to load my iGoogle home page-- that was never the case before. Chrome itself loads quickly but it takes long enough for the iGoogle home page to load that Chrome asks me if I want to wait or kill the page. If I click on wait it takes another 215-20 seconds before the page loads. Once it starts to load it is instant-- doesn't slow down at any one particular gadget etc.

I also notice unlike before I am seeing "Blocked by On-line Armor" on several ads etc., as I browse the web. Any ideas? Do I need to maybe flush all my settings and start over from scratch since this is a major version change?Thanks in advance for your time.

Do I need to maybe flush all my settings and start over from scratch since this is a major version change?

Unforunately, it sounds like the upgrade didn't go well so this would probably be the best thing to do. I'd uninstall, and reboot twice and then reinstall v5 :)

Just to update this issue... there has been no change. I see this same probelm popping up under various postings all over the forum. IE 9, Chrome and Opera all slow to a crawl when OA 5 is installed. I uninstalled and rebooted twice and reinstalled. I ran the wizard, started with all new settings and have the same problem. Related to this in Outlook 2007 if an email has to download pictures, advertising graphics etc I get the same freeze and an eventual popup from Outlook saying, "Waiting for server" that stays until I stop the download. OA 5 is blocking it seems all browsers, maybe port 80? It easy very easy to solve the issue. I just turn off OA and everything returns to normal. Until this issue gets resolved somewhere in the forum or via support I am going to have to uninstall OA from my three systems and wait it out. I simple won't exclude my browsers from OA, it defeats the entire reason to have a firewall being most malware etc comes in through the browser.

Glad I found this post... I also updated to the new OA (5.0.0.1097 Free Edition) and noticed Chrome (specifically DNS lookups) slowing down to a crawl at seemingly random times.

Cant find anything out of the ordinary in the logs.

I have tried disabling the "web sheild" in OA, and the "surf protection" in EAM5 alternatively to try to narrow it down... neither seems to be the fix.

Any solutions? I checked the link above but am not using Vipre, just EAM5 (licensed)

When installing OA5.0.0.1097 I didn't trust all, I had it scan fresh.

system info: Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Emsisoft Anti-Malware 5.1.0.15 (paid), Online Armor Free 5.0.0.1097

Glad I found this post... I also updated to the new OA (5.0.0.1097 Free Edition) and noticed Chrome (specifically DNS lookups) slowing down to a crawl at seemingly random times.

Do you see 'Resolving proxy ...' at the lower left of the window when the slow-downs occur? Do you have DNS pre-fetching enabled or disabled (in Chrome)?

Further update. I have checked my settings in Chrome, saw that in another post as well and it did not help. I finally uninstalled and re-installed OA AGAIN and left pretty much all the settings on default. My problem has disappeared. I saved the default settings, naming them as such and am now going to start setting everything the way I had it before and preferred it. If the problem resurfaces I am going to TRY and backtrack and find out which setting may have caused the issue. If I can make that happen I will report back. This version 5 of OA has been a real pain. I have re-installed four or five times to solve these type of issues-- also it forgets settings I have made on particular software and shoots me a pop-up on the same items over and over again. The only way to stop them is to put them on the ignore list or use a program like PTFB to automatically close the pop-up the instant it comes up. THAT kind of defeats the purpose of having a firewall. I am also using Vipre -- not the firewall included version-- and it has no effect on OA. Vipre is still running after the reinstall and OA has no issues with it. It has got to be something in the settings that would have changed between version 4 and version 5 of OA.

I forgot to mention that on my machine anyway it was also effecting Internet Explorer 9 as well-- not just a Chrome issue. Thank you to everyone for their input and assistance.

Do you see 'Resolving proxy ...' at the lower left of the window when the slow-downs occur? Do you have DNS pre-fetching enabled or disabled (in Chrome)?

Had it enabled (still do). I have just replaced it with comodo for the time being... will try again when an updated version is released.

Never received 'Resolving proxy' it would freeze at the dns lookup stage (so it was showing "Waiting for wheversite.com")

It also showed up randomly on firefox and even itunes, so I just switched to another firewall since didn't have time to troubleshoot further.