Sign in to follow this  
geoffo

Socket 10053 error on Windows Updates

I’ve had windows 7 for some time now & Windows Automatic Updates have always worked fine. Now I’m receiving a message “Automatic Windows Update failed: Socket 10053 Software caused Connection Abort” from my online-armor firewall (v4.5.1.431). I’ve not installed any new software recently, nor have I any email or internet connection problems. Also, performing windows updates manually works ok. Can anyone help me solve this problem please.

Hi geoffo,

Are you sure the message about failed Windows Updates is from OA? I've seen OA give update errors for OA's own updates if they fail, but I've never heard of OA issuing an error about Windows Updates. Are you seeing the error on a balloon tip from OA? Or is it coming from a Windows system balloon tip perhaps?

Hi geoffo,

Are you sure the message about failed Windows Updates is from OA? I've seen OA give update errors for OA's own updates if they fail, but I've never heard of OA issuing an error about Windows Updates. Are you seeing the error on a balloon tip from OA? Or is it coming from a Windows system balloon tip perhaps?

Thanks for your swift response catprincess, no the error is definitely in a balloon tip from OA, and it repeatedly shows every couple of minutes or so. Also, if I look in 'History', the event is logged there as "Socket Error #10053, Software caused connection abort". The only way to stop the balloon error message is to reboot. What should I do, do you think I should turn off Windows Updates altogether and perform manual updates each day?

Can you go to History and select one of these entries and right click it and choose "Copy". Then you can paste the details into a post here :)

OK thanks catprincess,here goes:-

Created: 4/23/2011 3:55:05 PM

Summary: Automatic Update failed

Description: Socket Error # 10053, Software caused connection abort.

Event type: Auto update(11)

Event action: None(1)

Okay, this looks like an Online Armor automatic update that is failing. If you have rebooted and continue to get the error even after rebooting, then I'd suggest manually downloading the latest version from here http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/oa/ You can run the installer and choose "Upgrade install" when prompted :)

Ah that makes sense now thanks, thought it was strange I had looked at the windowsupdate.log & couldn't see any mention of failed updates. Didn't for a second think it would be an update for OA itself, I'll do as you suggest; I see there is a new version 5 out, presume it's not an uninstall then install job & that your "Upgrade install" will remember all the configurations of the old one. Thanks for your help, always much appreciated.