Sign in to follow this  
malik4477

OA HIPS on specific trojans

I was browsing in another forum earlier and a thread caught my attention. THIS one. I continued to search for more and found THIS which is quite related.

Now I am very concerned as to how OA will protect me/us HIPS wise. They are talking about HIPS behavior/capabilities there..sandbox functionalities..etc. and man there is a LOT of talk on-going now there.

Anyone techy enough to explain it?

How can we users of OA be assured of protection?

Need to understand this one as this is concerning.

Both of those threads show that OA 'did the business' and flagged the nasty.

We could go all techie but to most folk it means little, and this area of the forum is more for problems/issues when running OA. Perhaps read up a bit on HIPS and Sandboxes. I will say it isn't something you can absorb over a cup of coffee!

Bottom line is OA protects you.

Thank you for stressing what you prefer in this forum area.

I thought that since OA was mentioned there somebody here can share some inputs to those that have not been gifted with the technical knowledge of how OA HIPS works. The links have discussed some aspects of how the other firewall/HIPS program behaved on the said trojan. While I believe OA has good HIPS and it did quite well there, some like me "that have not been gifted with the technical knowledge of how OA HIPS works" feel comfortable with some ideas/inputs from OA people and not from "other" forums. I ( and I am sure that there are average joe and jane here) don't know how to effectively configure OA or use it effectively against these kind of threats.

"ASK" (yourself or somebody) that's the very first human instinct when an average guy encounters something he is confused about it. "SEEK"...finding solutions or clarity of what you were confused about. Even you who have all the driving and topography knowledge of your area have wandered some strange-unfamiliar town/street/location and got confused....and of course you ASKED somebody there.

I was just asking but clearly it has been pointed out that

....this area of the forum is more for problems/issues when running OA..
so tsk..

I hope some "know-it-alls" (who seem to center around their excellent computer proficiency and seems to have careers associated with IT) will not forget how it felt when they encountered something like what I am asking..when they scratched there head and ask themselves huh..what/why/how etc. ...and at least give the benefit of the doubt to people like me. I hope those "know-it-alls" will put themselves in my shoes(non-IT)for a change.

..read up a bit on HIPS and Sandboxes. I will say it isn't something you can absorb over a cup of coffee!...

- I am reading but I am not as gifted, the reason for this post. And as you said, it isn't something you can absorb over a cup of coffee. ..again a reason for this post (also that is part of the SEEK which I started doing before I posted AND atop the ASK I did) because I am not as gifted.

Bottom line is OA protects you.

- again part of the reason is how does OA protect me? question.

Thank you anyway.

Hi Malik

I certainly hope I didn't make you feel 'ungifted' or anything like that, it certainly wasn't my intention. As for me being remotely like any of your descriptions (a techie know-it-all) I am a grandmother of five who has had to pick up things along the way as you are wanting to do.

As I am not a developer I cannot say the tech terms of HOW it protects only that the code used means OA is able to pick out known patterns that malware are likely to use. Coupled with a list of registry locations that can be targeted it makes for a pretty solid protection.

The 'run safer' abilty that OA offers is another way it can protect you, it can be read about it here

http://www.emsisoft.com/en/info/oa/KF-RunSafer.html

Hi Malik

Google is your friend.

Found using Google: HIPS

The only way anyone could explain it in any more detail would probably be totally confusing to you, because it gets into understanding things like the Kernel, API's etc.

The main thing I can tell you is a) I know the tester on Wilders and he knows what he's doing, and B) OA works.

Pete