Avast AV & SF.bin

bazzaw

After a recent Online Armour upgrade, Sf.bin (Avast) now keeps triggering Program Guard despite being allowed/trusted.

This happens whenever the PC is booted, and occasionally when Avast updates its signature file.

Any suggestions on how to prevent this?

Thanks

Bazzaw

Created: 1/05/2011 12:56:18 p.m.

Summary: Program Guard: Sf.bin

Description: J:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\AvastSvc.exe -> J:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\defs\11042901\Sf.bin

Event type: Program Guard(9)

Event action: Allowed(2)

The link posted for Avast is incorrect...it should be My link for the download.

The latest version of Avast is 6.0.1091, and this is the most stable version you should be using. If you are using Avast 5.0, you can try upgrading to this version via the GUI. Should you encounter problems, you can try an Avast Repair:

- Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > Avast Antivirus.

- Scroll down and choose Repair function in the pop-up window.

- Reboot.

However since Avast 6.0 installs on a different part of your machine than older versions, you may want to uninstall and do a clean install of Avast using the Avast Uninstaller Tool http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear6.exe - you can go to the Avast forum if you need further instructions and post your question in a new thread.

Since both OA and Avast are both security software, you should put them both in trusted exclusions as mentioned earlier:

To exclude OA in the new version of Avast:

· Settings > Exclusions > Add > search for Online Armor and click on the box to the left of it and add it, then click OK.

· Real Time Shields > Expert Settings > Trusted Processes > Add > search for Online Armor and click on the box to the left of it and add it, then click OK.

· Behavior Shield > Expert Settings > Trusted Processes > Add > search for Online Armor and click on the box to the left of it and add it, then click OK. Also change action to take in Behavior Shield to “Ask.”

To exclude Avast in OA:

· Open the OA GUI > Options > Exclusions > Add > click on the pop-up window and find C:\Program Files\Avast Software\.

· When you reboot OA (to go into Learning Mode), make sure ALL Avast shields are left on.

· Reboot your machine again; OA requires two boots. After this second reboot, you may get a pop-up asking you if you trust Avast. Answer the pop-up as "Trust Always" and "Remember My Decision" and you should not get any more pop-ups.

· Open the OA GUI > Programs > untick "Hide Trusted" so that you can see everything > look to make sure everything from Avast is not "blocked" (red) or "ask" (yellow). If it is, right-click the item and change it to "Trust." Reboot.

Let us know if this resolves your problems. Thank you.

Hi all - all going well so far. Initially I decided to stick with the existing version of Avast and have added OA as an exclusion, as suggested. I have not excluded Avast in OA as yet. No repetition of the SF.bin problem thusfar. If it does I'll upgrade Avast (probably will shortly anyway) & see what happens.

Thanks

Bazzaw