harsha

Program Guard incompatibility Microsoft Excel 2010

Hi,

As the title suggests, whenever an excel sheet is saved, it takes at least 10-15 sec to save (meantime excel will be in not responding mode). Issue remains the same even if its a blank excel sheet. When this hang occurs i notice an kernel event being logged in OA history. Please find the attached screenshot.

Resolution tried: Everything works normal if program guard.

Note:

1) Yes, this excel is been trusted in Program guard and its not running in run safer mode.

2) This is happening with .xlsx format. Works fine with .xls format. Not sure about other formats.

Please let me know if more information is needed.

Thanks,

Harsha

actually its getting hanged for more than 45 seconds. Here is another screenshot which shows the thread id of what is getting hanged...

guess it gives you all the information to debug the issue.

Thanks,

Harsha.

Similar hang is observed in firefox v4.0.1 when trying to create a new folder.

Couldn't edit the quote. So, replying in a new thread.

This issue occurs/can be easily reproducible when trying to save the file from the below link..

http://www.mediafire.com/?jwynnklygyq (don't worry not a virus link, its a telugu song from movie Roja)

While saving create a new folder, this is where the hang occurs.

Thanks,

Harsha

Hi harsha,

I'm sure someone from Emsisoft will get back to you as soon as possible :) Unfortunately I don't have Office 2010 or an x64 system, or I'd see if I could reproduce it here :( Maybe someone else here that does will comment on their experience. I imagine you already have Avast and OA excluded from each other?

Hi harsha,

I'm sure someone from Emsisoft will get back to you as soon as possible :) Unfortunately I don't have Office 2010 or an x64 system, or I'd see if I could reproduce it here :( Maybe someone else here that does will comment on their experience. I imagine you already have Avast and OA excluded from each other?

Thanks catprincess. I hope dev team acknowledges it soon. It gives hope of confidence atleast. :)

Yes, I have excluded OA++ and Avast from each other.

Thanks catprincess. I hope dev team acknowledges it soon. It gives hope of confidence atleast. :)

Yes, I have excluded OA++ and Avast from each other.

Do you have any file shield rules set for the locations you're trying to save files in?

Or, do you have anything listed as not trusted in the Programs list in OA ?

Do you have any file shield rules set for the locations you're trying to save files in?

I guess, file shield rules are set. I am currently at my work place. I would reply back after reaching home and test with disabling file shield rules and let you know.

I guess, file shield rules are set. I am currently at my work place. I would reply back after reaching home and test with disabling file shield rules and let you know.

Yes. File shield rules are set where i'm trying to save the files. After disabling them, i can save files instantly.

So, the problem comes back only if file shield is activated again.

Note: I have another kernel event being logged (not related to this issue and am not sure why it is being logged). Attached image for the same. Whenever these kernel events fired oacat.exe and oasrv.exe are fired one after the other.

Thanks,

Harsha.

Could you please tell me the file shield rules' settings you have?

Yes. File shield rules are set where i'm trying to save the files. After disabling them, i can save files instantly.

So, the problem comes back only if file shield is activated again.

Note: I have another kernel event being logged (not related to this issue and am not sure why it is being logged). Attached image for the same. Whenever these kernel events fired oacat.exe and oasrv.exe are fired one after the other.

Thanks,

Harsha.

These kernel events are related to OA's self protection. There's nothing to worry about.

Could you please tell me the file shield rules' settings you have?

i think all actions are blocked for all processes except trusted ones.

note: i'll confirm once i reach home.

Thanks,

Harsha.

i think all actions are blocked for all processes except trusted ones.

note: i'll confirm once i reach home.

Thanks,

Harsha.

I just checked the rules. And yes, for unknown and untrusted processes all actions are blocked. And for trusted processes all actions are allowed.

Thanks,

Harsha.

I just checked the rules. And yes, for unknown and untrusted processes all actions are blocked. And for trusted processes all actions are allowed.

Thanks,

Harsha.

It'd be great if you'd check if you have anything set to "Unknown" in the Programs list now ;)

It'd be great if you'd check if you have anything set to "Unknown" in the Programs list now ;)

I have unknown trust level set to few of the programs but i think they are no where related to Excel 2010. Please find the attached screenshot.

Note: This happens to both .xls and .xlsx format as i was wrong in the first post.

Thanks,

Harsha.

I have unknown trust level set to few of the programs but i think they are no where related to Excel 2010. Please find the attached screenshot.

Note: This happens to both .xls and .xlsx format as i was wrong in the first post.

Thanks,

Harsha.

I suspect the problem lies in your assumption that they aren't related to excel. Not true. I just looked on my setup using Excel 2010 and MSVBM60.DLL is in fact in use by Excel when it is running. I would either trust that stuff you showed, and if you don't trust it, why is it on your computer?

Pete

I suspect the problem lies in your assumption that they aren't related to excel. Not true. I just looked on my setup using Excel 2010 and MSVBM60.DLL is in fact in use by Excel when it is running. I would either trust that stuff you showed, and if you don't trust it, why is it on your computer?

Pete

Thanks Pete for the help and andrewf for all the clues :) . If MSVBM60.dll is used by excel then promoting it to trusted group should solve the problem. I will do it later tonight.

As probably you may know, i have installed OA++ quite recently and all the stuff its shown there are there prior to OA installation. So, I have yet to evaluate those list which are not set to trusted group by default (by OASIS).

b/W DFX as shown in the screenshot, doesn't go away either with windows uninstaller or "your uninstaller". Need to manually uninstall or re-install to remove it...

Thanks,

Harsha.

Hi Harsha,

Could you please collect some debug logs for this problem if it'd be still reproducible?

Thanks in advance,

Best regards,

Andrey.

Hi Andrew,

I could able to reproduce the issue even after trusting MSVBVM60.dll (this particular dll is not loaded/used by Excel in my computer).

Sent the log files via PM with a link to this post.

Issue reproduced at 1:18 PM (kernel event fired at 1:19:01 PM). I guess below are the log files you might be looking into.. :)

Harsha(1)_<ComputerName>_OAhlp_20110507-1311(3720).log

Harsha(1)_<ComputerName>_oaui_20110507-1311(3584).log

SYSTEM(0)_NT AUTHORITY_oasrv_20110507-1310(1724).log

Thanks,

Harsha.

Hi All,

I had a discussion thru PM with Andrey reg. the issue last week.

He suggested me to try the beta build if the problem is solved. So, i'm posting here if someone could let me know where the beta build exists?

Thanks,

Harsha

Hi harsha,

Since Andrey specifically asked you to try a beta, I'm very sure he will send you a special link for it via PM when it's available :) Emsisoft are probably still working on it and it might not be ready just yet - sometimes these things take more time than others and you can't always be sure exactly when they will be ready :)

thanks catprincess for the reply. Initially, i had small doubt it could be a special build but again thought it might be a common beta build normally which is available to all beta testers:)

I will wait for Andrey reply.