Sign in to follow this  
Ollsbols

Network connection not........connecting

Hi, sorry if this has been answered elsewhere. I have searched but am not all that technical so don't understand most of what is going on on this forum. Anyway let me explain my problem and hopefully one of you kind souls will be able to help me out.

I have replaced ZoneAlarm with Online Armor.

I have tried to connect my phone to my PC on the wireless network to stream music etc as I have done for some time. However my phone cannot find my PC on the network. If I turn off the OA firewall it sees it fine, connects and I can browse my files and folders. Turn on the firewall and the phone sees nothing.

I have gone to 'configuration - firewall - computers' and selected my phone's MAC address and changed to trusted. However this does not seemed to have changed anything.

Any help you can give would be really appreciated (but please try to keep simple as I am not so smart).

Many thanks in advance

Can you enable logging under Options -> Firewall for "Blocked events", try to get your phone to connect to your computer again and then check the Firewall log window (right click the OA icon and choose "Show firewall log" and see if anything shows up?

Can you enable logging under Options -> Firewall for "Blocked events", try to get your phone to connect to your computer again and then check the Firewall log window (right click the OA icon and choose "Show firewall log" and see if anything shows up?

Have tried it and nothing shows up.

Do you have "Block all traffic during system boot" selected under Options -> Firewall? If the "Trusted" box is ticked under Firewall -> Interfaces, does it make any difference?

In Firewall -> Rules do you see entries for "System"? If so, what ports, protocols and directions are listed?

Do you have "Block all traffic during system boot" selected under Options -> Firewall? If the "Trusted" box is ticked under Firewall -> Interfaces, does it make any difference?

In Firewall -> Rules do you see entries for "System"? If so, what ports, protocols and directions are listed?

Block all traffic during system boot is grey'd out and unselected.

The trusted box is ticked and has made no difference.

7 entries for system.

4 of them - Ports; 139, 445, 2869, 5357, 10243 Prot; TCP Dir; IN

1 of them - Ports; 139, 445, 58143 Prot; TCP Dir; OUT

1 of them - Ports; 137-138 Prot; TCP Dir; IN

1 of them - Ports; 137-138 Prot; UDP Dir; OUT

1 of them - Ports; 137-138 Prot; TCP Dir; IN

1 of them - Ports; 137-138 Prot; UDP Dir; OUT

You could try changing the direction on these two entries to "Both" and see if that makes any difference.

You could try changing the direction on these two entries to "Both" and see if that makes any difference.

I am afraid that has made no difference.

I doubt it will make a difference but you could try pressing the "Reset list" button under Firewall -> Computers and let OA redetect your network. I am not sure what else to suggest if there is nothing appearing in OA's History or the Firewall log. If connections are being blocked they should be showing up in the Firewall log, so I can only guess that the problem is occurring before a connection attempt is ever made.

Are you using a particular program to connect the phone to your computer?

Hi Cat,I have tried reset with no joy. Thanks for your help anyway. Not sure what to do now. It seems to work with Firewall turned off so can only assume it is the firewall doing the blocking. I am using an Android phone with EStrong file explorer installed.

Nani, I have just rebuilt my PC following a nasty virus. OA is the only firewall installed since the re-build. Nice thought though.

I will keep playing and if I get a result I will post. Thanks to both. Any further suggestions will be most welcome.

In reviewing your Android phone app. with EStrong file explorer (a File/Application Manager which can explore the phone, PC in LAN & Remote & Bluetooth) My link, which does not appear to be an AV or FW for your phone, I do not see how this would conflict with your machine if OA is seeing it and it is trusted.

This is something the OA devs. perhaps need to look at.

Yes it does. i have tried resetting the list and it reappears on the list when I do a scan from my phone. It is trusted.

Hi Ollsbols,

Could you please go to Options->Firewall, tick the "Additional debug info" checkbox, reproduce the issue and send me your firewall logs (located at "oa folder\logs") to oasupport (at) emsisoft (dot) com? Please include the link to this thread in your message.

Thanks in advance,

Best regards,

Andrey.

There seem to be several threads all with similar problems, but this seems most appropriate for me. The solution? Get rid of Online Armor.

How I come to this conclusion...

Set-up is XP Pro (SP3 and all relevant updates), AMD Athlon x2, 3GB RAM

Software was OA 4.5.1.43 and Avast AV 6.0.1

Connection is ADSL hard-wired to the LAN port

Problem was a frequent locking of my internet connection and on closing Firefox (v3.5) the application appeared to close but the process did not shut down; it had to be closed through Task Manager. Using Task Manager was the only solution I found had any effect on unlocking the connection; closing OA or shutting bits off made no difference. Of course, the problems recurred almost immediately on restoring a session in Firefox. The same problems were found with Seamonkey, IE 7, and Opera 11.

In addition, yes, there clearly is some sort of conflict with Avast as this programme locked my desktop a number of times - that is the desktop appeared after login but nothing worked - I also had no Avast or AO icons in the system tray.

Attempted solution #1 was to follow the basic OA advice and clean out all copies of Avast using Avast's removal file and to take out an obsolete copy of Zonealarm, plus removing of Spybot. Installed a fresh copy of Avast. Same problem.

Attempted solution #2; remove Avast, again, and replace with Avira. Same problem.

Solution #3; remove Online Armor and replace with PC Tools free. Guess what? No problems since - none - internet connection stable and back to full speed. Avast reinstalled in preference to Avira. No problems with Avast.

The solution for OA? Stop blaming everyone else for the problem and look at your own code; there's clearly something wrong. As this problem developed recently on a previously stable set up (and I admit I do have a stable Avast and AO setup on my Win7 laptop), is the problem that OA eventually gets stuffed up with conflicting rules and locks everything down? My non-tech guess from examining the OA history is that OA shuts the internet connection in svchost.exe. When the day comes and OA screws my laptop connection, I have the PC Tools setup.exe ready and waiting.

Hi hucklebury,

Sorry you're having problems. The version of OA you listed is an older version. The latest version is 5.0.0.1097 (available from the website) or 5.0.0.1100 (available via automatic updates for paid customers). You don't mention whether you have Avast and OA excluded from each other? If not, it would be a good idea to set this up as it can prevent the two programs from getting in each other's way and causing conflicts :)