Mamutu Settings

Hi Koosharem, welcome to the forum

Both features actually belong to protection techniques implemented in the Software in order to fight against unauthorized termination.

1st, you can read about common use of "Captcha" here

So, stopping/exiting the Software has to be confirmed by entering a code generated by the Software. That will identify you as a human ;) , who is deliberately stopping it

The "Activate self protection" option protects the Software from being terminated or deactivated by Malware

My regards

Hi Lynx, and thank you for the prompt reply!

I think I'm "most of the way there". I get the "Self-Protection" feature, although I'm surprised it is "optional" -- is there a "penalty" for activating it??

Captcha is a bit more difficult. First, thanks for the link to Wikipedia -- I have encountered (and cursed!) these "tests" online but, never knew they had a name!

In the phrase: ". . . stopping/exiting the Software has to be confirmed by entering a code generated by the Software " , are you referring to Mamutu software in both instances? If so, then I understand my (deliberate) actions (at the keyboard or mouse to "stop" Mamutu) will cause the "Software" to generate the appropriate code, and Mamutu will stop/shut down -- otherwise it will continue to run. I'm struggling with two issues: 1.) I've read all the Help Files and found no reference to "stopping" Mamutu -- I thought it runs in the "background" as long as I have the system running. And, 2.) referring to this as "Captcha Protection" seems a bit of a stretch -- where is the "computer-proof-puzzle" the human (me) is supposed to solve?

I must be missing something. Thanks for your patience.

All programs run 'in the background' if they do not have focus (or are not in the foreground). Mamutu generates the captcha code when *you* or another process requests that Mamutu close. You have to show that you are a human, and have therefore requested the action by recognising and entering the code shown.

Right-click the system tray icon and choose exit - you'll see the process in operation. If a malicious process tries to terminate Mamutu, it will not be able to recognise and thus enter the code. Mamutu will, therefore, not close because no code, or an incorrect code has been entered.

H_D, Thank you for the clarification. I saw that "Exit" in system tray pop-up, and thought it would just close the pop-up (based on the mind-set that Mamutu had no "off"). OK, now the whole Captcha-thing makes sense. My thanks to you and Lynx for your posts.

H_D, Thank you for the clarification. I saw that "Exit" in system tray pop-up, and thought it would just close the pop-up (based on the mind-set that Mamutu had no "off"). OK, now the whole Captcha-thing makes sense. My thanks to you and Lynx for your posts.

You are welcome, Koosharem

Just a few comments though regarding you system setup presented

- major point - you should not rely on a native Windows Firewall (FW). Please choose decent 3rd party one: Emsisoft's OA / Outpost/ Comodo (I'm talking about FW only in this context)

- You can still use SpyBot's immunization (only);

- you can add SpywareBlaster to the set;

- As for the AV - MSE is not the best candidate (my own opinion) despite its detection rate was improved a bit lately ... other comments would be Offtopic here ;)

My regards

Lynx --

Thank you very much for your comments regarding my "protection" system. I am in the process of adding Emsisoft's OA5 Premium, and I'll also look into the other items you mentioned.

Best regards . :thumbs: