Sign in to follow this  
XonE32

CLOSED EAM weird scans behavior

Hi Emsisoft,

Not a Malware removal question ...I hope. Instead, I've just (today around 1600 PST) noticed some very strange behavior from my Full EAM 5.1.0.11. My Full Online Armor is working fine.

I have EAM updates scheduled for 0300 PST & a full EAM scan scheduled for 0315 PST. It has always been thus for well over a year with no problems whatsoever except for the occasional false positive.

I wake up and see the EAM program open with nothing found and go on my merry way. Today my better half got home went on the pc saw the program with nothing found, closed it and went onto FB. Within a few (maybe 10) minutes EAM began an "unscheduled" scheduled scan (i.e. it just started scanning in the middle of the afternoon. She thought it weird, but let it finish. Within 5 minutes of it finishing the scan, it started yet another again.

In the 15 minutes I've spent writing this it has tried to start a scan 3 times?? Everything seems fine in the configuration page; as well it should as I haven't changed them in ages. Neither Soft nor Hard boots seem to make any difference. It's all very weird. I would prefer to avoid having to reinstall, but at the moment I'm at a loss to explain why this is happening and even farther from trying to figure out how to stop the behavior or revert it to the normal once-a-day 0315 Scheduled Scan.

Any thoughts would be most welcome as I'll need to shut it off for now. Thanks in advance

Cheers

XonE

EDIT: Just looked at the logs and noticed EAM is also doing an auto-update every 5 to 7 minutes. Almost looks like EAM is set to interval scanning yet that's not set on the config page... confused.

Have you tried turning off automatic updates and disabling scheduled scans?

See if that stops it, then restart your PC and see if the settings hold. If they do, re-configure it, and see if that fixes it.

Do you have any application events in the Windows event log for EAM?

XonE,

There was an issue with the EAM Bèta updates which caused the weird behavior with scheduled scans and automatic updates every 4 or 5 minutes.

Please disable the Bèta updates, perform a manual update to receive the stable updates and the issue should be solved.

Thanks H_D and Ctrl for the swift replies.

haven't had a chance to implement the suggestions, but will report here when done and hope that it's resolved.

0344 at the moment so will give it a go tomorrow when my brain is more awake.

Cheers

Xone32

I'm going to call this one fixed!

H_D, I checked the Windows Event Viewer and there were no entries or errors regarding EAM. Just an FYI.

Ctrlaltdelete, I un-checked 'beta' updates and that looks like what was causing it. As soon as I did that and proceeded with a manual update; EAM started downloading an 8552kb download of several core EAM aspects (ie version now reads 5.1.0.10 instead of 5.1.0.11).

The system has been running now for hours without it trying to auto-update every 5 to 7 minutes OR perform an "unscheduled" scheduled scan over and over.

Thanks again guys for all your help, really appreciate it.

Cheers

XonE