Sign in to follow this  
Jose_Lisbon

Sandboxie

Windows 7 64 bit.

OA Free.

Avast Free(mutually excluded).

Sandboxie excluded in OA.

Why does Sandboxie starts inside Run Safer every time I turn it on? That poses security concerns (ex: Sandboxie will not automatically delete contents as I configured it to) and anyway it shouldn't. I didn't tell it to. I never used or will use Run Safer.

Is this an issue? A design decision? Will it (my main concern) reduce Sandboxie properties?

After all, Run Safer has sandbox qualities; so there's margin for conflicts. But if I have to choose I won't hesitate: Sandboxie.

Can I turn Run Safer off? Can I configure it?

I really don't have the patience to go and look for settings because in the last three weeks I've tried OA (see my posts) Comodo, Outpost, Private Firewall... and I'm yet to finf something (FW/HIPS) wich will work with the minimum of glitches.

Any feedback will be appreciated,

Jose.

I have never excluded Sandboxie in OA Jose.

Just to make sure I understand, are you saying that Sandboxie is shown as Run Safer in OA programs list (coloured a kind of blue in list)

Are you saying that when you start your browser it has a green border? Is the Drop Rights setting in Sandboxie turned on?

Jose, in addition to what stapp is asking, under Avast Free, can you check the following settings:

Under the Avast GUI > Additional Protection > AutoSandbox:

- Do you have a check in the box for AutoSandbox to be "Enabled" or not? If you do, what is the "Action" you set for this?

I understand that you mutually excluded both software, but did you also put the exclusion in the Behavior Shield of Avast as well as the Real-time shield and under Settings?

It is possible that Avast AutoSandbox and OA Run Safer could be conflicting with each other depending on your settings. Hopefully you are using the most up to date software for both as well, as this has fixed bugs. sded may have more to offer on this topic as he also uses both software as well but I believe with your OS. Thank you.

Thank you both for your answers.

Just to make sure I understand, are you saying that Sandboxie is shown as Run Safer in OA programs list (coloured a kind of blue in list)

Are you saying that when you start your browser it has a green border? Is the Drop Rights setting in Sandboxie turned on?

Strangely, in OA's Programs I only see Sandboxie uninstaller (snapshot).

When I run My browsers (IE9 and FF) they will work normally. But If I launch them inside Sandboxie there will be Run Safer's green border around.

Under the Avast GUI > Additional Protection > AutoSandbox:

- Do you have a check in the box for AutoSandbox to be "Enabled" or not? If you do, what is the "Action" you set for this?

Avast's sandbox is disabled.

I understand that you mutually excluded both software, but did you also put the exclusion in the Behavior Shield of Avast as well as the Real-time shield and under Settings?

It won't make a difference. It's not Avast related, it happened with MSE as well. I'll do it anyway.

Regards.

When I run My browsers (IE9 and FF) they will work normally. But If I launch them inside Sandboxie there will be Run Safer's green border around.

Hi Jose,

I've never used Sandboxie, however, I know it can draw a colored border around active windows:

hXXp://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?AppearanceSettings

hXXp://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?BorderColor

You probably already know those options - so I apologize if my suggestion will be useless.

Regards,

N.

so I apologize if my suggestion will be useless.

There are no useless sugestions.

You probably already know those options

Yes, I always check that Sandboxie's "border around the window" is disabled. This is some sort of glitch between OA and Sandboxie. I relly would like to get to the bottom of this, otherwise I'll have to uninstall OA, wich I hope can be avoided: I'm tired of trying FW/HIPS solutions only to find an issue here, an issue there... uff.

You seem to be missing quite a lot of sandboxie entries in the programs list but if you have it excluded that will be why.

Thought about taking it out of the exclusions, running and then trusting it?

I'll give it a go and post back.

Perhaps it's better to enable Learning Mode before taking Sandboxie out of the Exclusions and restarting Windows...

EDIT - I posted my reply before reading your last message.

Can I ask why you have so many untrusted things in your programs list Jose?

Have you thought about doing a trusted install, after all surely you trust what you have on your computer or you wouldn't have it on. It may make a difference. It won't stop you being able to stop things from calling home etc as you can untick 'allow trusted internet access' as you know.

Can I ask why you have so many untrusted things in your programs list Jose?

That's the Wizard's decisions.

Have you thought about doing a trusted install

Oh dear, another uninstall/install.

Ok I'll try that and post back.

Jose I am sorry to hear things still aren't working. Hopefully one of the devs or someone who uses the same combination of software will chip in with more ideas.

Thanks a lot stapp, and thanks to Nick and Nani.

Hi Jose

In terms of recent builds, I see no conflict between Sandboxie and OA. However I see two major differences in your setup. One is Avast, the other is Win7 X64 whereas I am using XP. Here is what I would suggest you do.

1. Download the latest Sandboxie beta, and upgrade to that.

2. Completely uninstall both Online Armor and Avast.

3. Do a trusted install of Online Armor, and make sure indeed everything you run is trusted. This way you have eliminated Avast from the equation.

4. If there is a problem at this point, then there may be a conflict with OA and Sandboxie under X64

5 If everything is okay at this point, reinstall Avast and see what happens. If there is now a problem, you have a clue as to where it lies.

6. I wish you good luck as I know what a pain this is.

Pete

Hi Peter, thanks for the input.

I don't think it's Avast because the same happened with MSE (in fact that's why I have Avast, I wanted to confirm it was not MSE).

Your sugestion about being a 64-bit issue makes total sense. Tzuk wrote in Sandboxie's forum how the program had to be redesigned to meet many compatibility issues.

I'm going to leave this here and look for another solution (maybe deactivate OA's HIPS and replace it with Threatfire, or something of the kind).

Again, thank you all.

Update:

I decided to right click Sandboxie and run it as administrator. It worked, Run Safer wasn't there.

But now the question is: does this make sense to someone?

Regards.

There is something about that here Jose, see the bit under Windows Vista/7 with UAC Enabled

http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?InternetExplorerTips

Are you using IE?

Hi stapp.

No, I'm using FF. The behaviour I described in the posts above is the same for both IE and FF. That makes me think it's not browser related.

I'm thinking of something else; I'll PM you.

I'm going to leave this here and look for another solution (maybe deactivate OA's HIPS and replace it with Threatfire, or something of the kind).

There have been issues with Threatfire recently and I would caution you to research it prior to installing it. Avast's Behavior Shield and Threatfire do not play well together because both are looking at behavioral changes in your machine and may cause conflicts, however Avast is a strong program and the Behavior Shield will be introducing the virus definitions into newer updates making it even stronger. It will still be compatible with OA, however you just need to add the exclusions as mentioned earlier.

If you do uninstall your current security programs, regarding OA and Avast, we have found that installing Avast first then OA (on the current versions - see my Sig.) in that order works best with OA as Trust All in the Safety Check Wizard.