bite_me

TLEM Network Services conflicts with Netmeter app

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bits, OA 5.0.0.1097 free. When installing OA the system ask me to install TLEM Network Services and Driver. At the time I had NetMeter (a network monitoring app) running, and as soon as TLEM installed it killed NetMeter. After the OA installation was completed I can no longer start NetMeter. I use Rollback to reset my disk drive back to pre-OA installation and tried the OA installation again, this time not allowing TLEM Network Services or its driver to install. The OA installation and safety check completed without problems. NetMeter also works. So what is TLEM Network Services? By not installing TLEM do I compromise OA in some way?

If any developer wants to check out this conflict NetMeter can be downloaded from here; http://www.metal-machine.de/readerror/

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bits, OA 5.0.0.1097 free. When installing OA the system ask me to install TLEM Network Services and Driver. At the time I had NetMeter (a network monitoring app) running, and as soon as TLEM installed it killed NetMeter. After the OA installation was completed I can no longer start NetMeter. I use Rollback to reset my disk drive back to pre-OA installation and tried the OA installation again, this time not allowing TLEM Network Services or its driver to install. The OA installation and safety check completed without problems. NetMeter also works. So what is TLEM Network Services? By not installing TLEM do I compromise OA in some way?

If any developer wants to check out this conflict NetMeter can be downloaded from here; http://www.metal-machine.de/readerror/

Hi,

TLEM Network Services is an abbreviation for "(T)al(L) (EM)u Network Service". It's part of OA's firewall.

While waiting for more technical (and helpful) replies from other members, you may be interested to read this old thread on the old forum, although it refers to a pretty old version of OA on a different OS (it's just to get an idea):

http://support.online-armor.com/showthread.php?t=10918

Regards and sorry for my English,

N.

As Nick has mentioned, the driver is for OA's firewall. If you don't allow it to install, the firewall component will not function properly. You should be able to see this visually in that OA won't be able to detect your interface under Firewall -> Interfaces and the Firewall Status window won't function correctly. These are just some noticeable things you can see; if the firewall's driver is absent, it's much like if you had uninstalled the firewall component of OA.

I'm sure Emsisoft will take a look and get back to you as soon as possible, although I'm unsure if they will be able to do anything. It also seems that NetMeter is no longer being developed.

As Nick has mentioned, the driver is for OA's firewall. If you don't allow it to install, the firewall component will not function properly. You should be able to see this visually in that OA won't be able to detect your interface under Firewall -> Interfaces and the Firewall Status window won't function correctly. These are just some noticeable things you can see; if the firewall's driver is absent, it's much like if you had uninstalled the firewall component of OA.

I'm sure Emsisoft will take a look and get back to you as soon as possible, although I'm unsure if they will be able to do anything. It also seems that NetMeter is no longer being developed.

Yes, without TLEM I can view problems with the Firewall Status. It doesn't fine the description of my wi-fi card and nothing shows under the "Computers" tab.

Even when I shutdown OA I still cannot start NetMeter. Trying to start NetMeter only results in running the Microsoft problem reporting app "WerFault.exe". I also don't see a TLEM service added to the list of services. So it seems TLEM hooks into the networking portion of the operating system rather deeply.

I was wondering if anyone at Emsisoft actually plans to look into this problem? It should be easily duplicated.

Don't hold your breath. You could try starting a ticket at cc.emsisoft.com.

Just out of curiosity (and based on the observable problems), can anyone tell me how I would go about checking to see if the TLEM Network Service/Driver is installed/functioning correctly?

Thank you.

Just out of curiosity (and based on the observable problems), can anyone tell me how I would go about checking to see if the TLEM Network Service/Driver is installed/functioning correctly?

It doesn't get installed on XP separately, like it does on later O/S's.

I tried to reproduce the problem with the setup you mentioned above (Windows 7 x86 SP1, OA free) but was unable to get the NetMeter crash you were talking about:

As you can see the oanet driver (which is the TLEM driver and responsible for the actual packet filtering) is running and NetMeter measures traffic correctly. All settings are default. The only program rule I created for NetMeter was the one to allow it's start. I didn't even trust the application.

I use NetWorx from SoftPerfect, but essentially it does the same thing. Have you tried:

-back up your statistics for NetMeter

-uninstalling NetMeter

-installing OA

-installing NetMeter

-restore your statistics for NetMeter?

In Fabian's test he was installing NetMeter after OA since he already had OA on his system.

Sorry about this long delayed reply. I thought this trend was dead. Anyway, I tried to first uninstall NetMeter, turn off Windows Firewall, install OA, go through the safety check and learning process, re-install NetMeter. NO GO. Starting NetMeter only results in running the Microsoft problem reporting app "WerFault.exe".

I've decided to keep NetMeter and use Microsoft's Firewall. So thanks for the support. As far as I'm concerned this case is closed.