Sign in to follow this  
Augmantius

Online Armor killing internet connection

I have been using online armor free for a long time, at least a year or two. Unfortunately I didn't realize until today after buying it.. that it has been responsible for my browsers taking ages to respond and my inability to connect to certain sites like youtube. I bought the premium version hoping it would help me identify the connectivity problems I was having.. It turns out however OA is the problem. I did the common fixes of unblocking all blocked items and re-running the wizard to everything trusted. However when i try to use the internet with OA it is extremely sluggish and refuses to visit youtube and loses all connectivity at times. I turn it off and viola! everythings fine. Now that I bought the premium 5.0 version I have not had it prompt me once which is also a concern. I guess I shouldn't have assumed OA was smart enough to let firefox or explorer do something as wild and crazy as connect to the internet to interface with youtube. Somebody please tell me there is something obvious I have overlooked... so I don't have to uninstall and become a detractor. And yes I had disabled all browser objects/extensions that wasn't part of problem. I also run Avira Antivir but still had same problems when that wasn't running. Thanks for any help.

I can chime in on this problem a bit. I actually came to the forum today looking for a solution to this very same issue. Since upgrading to version 5 OA slows down my browser to a crawl for many web sties-- but not all. My i Google home page, You Tube, Wundergroundweather.com etc. It does it to both IE9 and Google Chrome's latest version. I can stop the behavior very easily-- shut down OA completely. Within seconds my browser works perfectly-- don't even have to reboot to stop the behavior after shutting down OA. In what may or may not be related, Outlook 2007 will not download pictures etc., in an email preview for certain websites-- not all-- just certain ones. I can't seem to connect the dots as to what is causing this behavior but it is very annoying. I wish I had stuck with the last version of OA 4 until all this was resolved. Maybe next update Emsisoft can choose a bigger beta tester group. I have had issue after issue with OA 5.

Cat Princess, after having some initial problems after 'upgrading' to version 5 from version 4 I did a complete uninstall, rebooted twice and reinstalled. That took care of one minor annoyance but this and others remain-- like the fact OA never shows the list of my computers on the Firewall- Rules- Computer tab. I never had these problems with version 4. I trashed all my settings, rules, everything and ran the initial setup scan again and redid all my rules but the problems remain. Very frustrating. I dislike beta testing and troubleshooting software I am paying for. Augmaniatus, my 'problem' went away for a brief period of time when I did the reinstall from scratch but came back within a very short time. I hope you are luckier than I was.

blue.lake, do you have Vipre and OA excluded from each other? I also notice that on Vipre's website, it mentions their HIPS driver can conflict with firewalls. They provide a utility here http://www.sunbelt-software.com/support/SPF/spfhips.exe that allows you to disable the Vipre HIPS driver.

Or you can use the following command and then restart the computer.:

sc config sbhips start= disabled

On another section of their site, they also mention that Vipre's Active Protection may cause performance problems if you are running other security products and may need to be disabled. From what I read, the Active Protection sounds a little like some kind of HIPS, so possibly it's disabled anyway if the HIPS driver is disabled, but I am only guessing.

I also notice that on Vipre's website, it mentions their HIPS driver can conflict with firewalls.

... but I am only guessing.

Perhaps the blue.lake could advise if Vipre = A-V or Premium.

While the firewall in Vipre can be avoided completely by not using the Premium version of Vipre, the HIPS (they call it "Active Protection") can't be as it's present in either version of Vipre according to their website. So disabling it would be the only option if it's driver causes problems.