Koosharem

OA Premium Restart Problem

Yes, I'm back again! :( This problem may relate to my original posts regarding the initial installation of OA Premium earlier this month. Back then (9 May) the problem of "hanging" at wallpaper during the system restart (after the Safety Check & setting Program Options) seemed to be solved just by waiting longer for OA to complete its initial "processing". After 8 - 10 minutes the full Desktop appeared, and a minute or so later it completed the "Learning Mode" and ran satisfactorily. I was delighted, and reported all this "success" to Catprincess here on the Forum.

Then, the next day, the system "locked up" (no response to mouse-clicks). I did a "cold boot" (from power off) and that ended at wallpaper again!! I did a system restore to a point just prior to the initial OA installation, and the system ran fine for a full week. (During that time I ran the MS Malicious Software Removal Tool and it found no "infections".)

Being anxious to get past this problem (my OA5 subscription is ticking away!), I checked for any residual signs of the previous OA installation (Windows All Programs & Add/Delete), and the Program Files folders. There I did find an OA Folder and deleted it. I also turned the Windows Firewall off (again).

Then I established a system restore point, and proceeded to re-install OA Premium from my saved download. All went well. I clicked "Finish" at the end of the installation and saw the little green "OA Activating" progress bar display, and I got the Safety Check Wizard. I completed "Needs Attention" items for both Start Menu and Autoruns; all other items "passed". Then, on to Program Options. There I entered several "Exclusions" for the AV and Malware programs I am running, and left most of the other options as I found them (default settings?). Not one snag in either Safety Check nor Quick Setup.

Then I clicked "Finish" with the Restart Computer Box checked. Windows proceeded to log me off and shut down. Then on to startup; I clicked on my "User Name" and the wallpaper (only) came up. And there is were system restart ENDED. I let the system "sit there" for over 40 minutes and no change! Another cold boot made no difference.

Something seems to be intervening here and preventing Windows from completing the final step of startup: displaying the Desktop and System Tray.

Can any one suggest what I'm doing wrong or over looking. Why did OA install and run successfully on my system for just a short time, and now I can't re-accomplish a "clean" re- installation, AND get the system to restart properly? :blush:

Hi there :)

you said..

I did a system restore to a point just prior to the initial OA installation, and the system ran fine for a full week.

then you said..

I checked for any residual signs of the previous OA installation (Windows All Programs & Add/Delete), and the Program Files folders. There I did find an OA Folder and deleted it. I also turned the Windows Firewall off (again).

Just curious as to how you found an OA folder if you had restored to a time before you tried OA.

Have you considered doing a 'trust all' install from the wizard and then adjusting your exclusions one by one just to see if there is a cause.

Also when you install OA it turns off Windows Firewall for you, and turns it back on again when you uninstall OA. No need for you to do it :)

Hi stapp,

Thanks for your prompt reply. Regarding your question about finding an OA folder after a restore "to a time before I tried OA". Yes, I was surprised at that too! I've had two instances of "Hang" at Wallpaper/Restore to "before OA", and a week of running fine after each one, with the system in the "before OA" configuration. Just prior to the last (i.e., 2nd re-install, yesterday 17 May) was when I took the "precaution" of checking to see if I was really starting over with a "clean slate" by using the system restore method. (Each hang up left me without any way to access "Add/Delete" for removing the installed OA, and regaining control of the system.) In fact, I got a clue during the first re-install when the Install Wizard told me there already was an OA folder in Program Files, and did I want to install over it (I said "yes"). :blush:

I did ponder (very briefly) over doing a "trust all", but discarded the idea -- 'seemed the "easy way", and I preferred establishing the exclusions up front. But, now after all this hassle, I'm ready to try it! Thank you for the suggestion.

And, no, I did not know OA turns Windows Firewall off/on automatically. Now I understand why, when I went to turn it back on for those two weeks of running with out OA, I found it already on!! :unsure:

So, thanks for your help here. Its frustrating to be soooo close to a "good thing" and repeatedly not "catch it"!! :angry:

It may be a few days before I can spend the time on (yet) another install. But, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Hey Koosharem,

Just in case you will try another install, don't forget to boot into Safe Mode and uninstall from there. You should also reboot twice before reinstalling.

Cheers,

N.

It may be a few days before I can spend the time on (yet) another install. But, I'll let you know how it turns out.

It would probably be a good idea to decide on just one AV and one anti-malware program to run in realtime before doing this as running multiple ones is known to cause problems :)

It would probably be a good idea to decide on just one AV and one anti-malware program to run in realtime before doing this as running multiple ones is known to cause problems :)

Catprincess,

OK, but I only run MS Security Essentials, Mamutu, Ad Aware and Spybot in realtime. These programs have been running together for weeks with no conflicts. And, I disabled them during installations of OA after the first "failure". I've done 5 (FIVE!) re-installs of OA so far!

In each case, I included my realtime security programs in the "Exclusions List", and seemed to get a successful install (XP boots to my Desktop and OA is up and running). This lasts for the rest of that "session" and perhaps again for another bootup the next day. During that time I got a couple of "Alerts" which were dealt with satisfactorily. Then, "out-of-the-blue", while using the system it will "lock up" -- no response to mouse-clicks -- I have to turn the computer off and then back on to regain control. Then, the XP bootup stops at the wallpaper again!! After completely removing OA from the system, everything runs fine!

During this struggle, I have been in touch with the Emsisoft Support Team. It was suggested I run HiJackThis and send them the log. In response, they recommended I disable Mamutu and MS Security Client (in addition to those I mentioned above) prior to installation. Result (of my 5th and last install): Restart at the end of OA install and initial setup ended at wallpaper again!

So, all of this has been a very disappointing "bust"! While OA is running I am very pleased with it. But, there is something about OA (in association with my system) that is causing these "Lock ups" and "termination of XP bootups" that renders it useless to me. :(

My thanks to you, and the others here on the Forum, for your suggestions and trying to help solve this problem.

Dear Koosharem and Catprincess,

I experienced this behaviour of OA FREE in the same manner as you Koosharem. I installed WinXP on two new laptops and all security patches from MS. Then I installed all needed software (office and all this stuff) and at the end I installed OA FREE and Avira AV – nothing else regarding security software.

After the second reboot the laptops hang for 2-3 minutes after seeing the wallpaper which annoyed me a lot. I tried everything, also the “trust all” option but it did not work. So I deleted AO.

The last thing I’ll try is to use MS bootvis to see where the system hangs. I’ll post it if I know anything new.

But in the meantime the development team of OA should check this odd behaviour of OA on new installed systems – maybe there is a conflict between a MS patch and OA since I’m using OA on my regular PC since ages and it works perfectly.

Cheers, Dari

Hi Dari,

The OP's system never finished booting, whereas from your description, it looks like yours do finish after the 2-3 minutes hang? If this is the case I think your issue is most likely different to the OP's. In any case, it would be best to start your own thread to avoid possible confusion :)