High CPU usage

For some time now I have problem with high CPU usage from Emsisoft Anti-Malware whenever I install Emsisoft AM.

Emsisoft Security Center (or emsisoft Anti-Malware serrvice) starts to use 15-20% of CPU. When I open Interface it hangs with Not responding indicator and you can't do anything. Only way to stop this is to right-click on systray icon and shutdown protection. After I turn protection back on, problem happens again after a while.

How can I find cause of this problem?

image.thumb.png.3c326037cd7c7609334229a682701f53.png

Some additional information. I run Windows 10 21H2 with all updates till April 12 installed. I use EAM latest version with stable release feed.

I don't use any other real-time security software, except Macrium Reflect with it's Image Guardian component installed and configured.

It looks like I can trigger this behaviour with opening EAM's interface, navigating through settings and then closing it down (without changing any settings). It doesn't happen every time but sometimes a2start.exe starts consuming CPU.

I've created a2start.dmp file during high CPU usage. Tell me how to safely send it for analysis if needed.

We have received your dump file.  I have alerted our Development team.

Additionally, it may be beneficial to obtain a set of debugging logs from Emsisoft.

1. Open Emsisoft Anti-Malware, then click the Settings tile, then the 'Advanced' tab. Scroll down a bit, then use the last option in the advanced section, 'Debug logging', to enable debug logging for one day. Leaving it on always isn't recommended because logs will fill the hard drive eventually. Close the Emsisoft Anti-Malware window after making your selection.

2. Restart the computer. This is mandatory for the logs to be created completely.

3. Reproduce the issue you are having, twice if possible. The issue must occur, or the logs won't be of any use.

4. (Please read the note below before continuing) Once you have reproduced the issue, open Emsisoft Anti-Malware again, and click on the Support icon which is the chat bubble in the lower-left corner, then click on the button that says "Send an email". Select everything in the right-hand column that shows today's dates. Fill in the e-mail contact form, then click on "Send now" at the bottom once you are ready to send the logs.

Note: If you like, you may just compress and email or upload to a file-sharing location the following folder instead of using the in-program form, skipping step 3: C:\ProgramData\Emsisoft\Logs\ (note ProgramData is a hidden folder) and also C:\Program Files\Emsisoft Anti-Malware\Logs\Logs.db3.

5. *Important* Please be sure to turn off debug logging after sending us the logs. There are some negative effects to leaving debug logging turned on, such as reduced performance and wasting hard drive space, and it is not recommended to leave debug logging turned on for a long period of time unless it is necessary to collect debug logs.

• 2 weeks later...

Could you please enable the Beta channel, and let me know if that resolves the high CPU usage issue.

Please enable Beta updates and see if it helps:

1. Open Emsisoft Anti-Malware.
  2. Click the blue Settings tile, then click Updates in the top row.
  3. Find the Update feed drop-down menu and change it to Beta.
  4. Click the 'home' icon in the top left to return to the overview screen, then press the Update now link.
  5. It may be necessary to reboot the computer when it's finished updating for the beta's fixes to work, but this is normally not needed.

Please switch back to the stable version after a week has passed, or when we contact you with information, even if the beta works. Beta releases are just that, beta, and may be unstable in some cases. You may learn more about when releases come out, here: http://changeblog.emsisoft.com/

Hello.

I installed latest version and so far could not reproduce the problem. So it seems to be fixed.

One additional question. After install I noticed new shortcut pointing to a2guard.exe. I don't remember seeing that in previous versions. Is this OK?

image.png.1de0aec47ad71595f08b248519b7c47d.png