go2girl

User Interface has disappeared

Due to recommendations, I recently switched to OA free from a different firewall, but have been having a lot of trouble with it. First, during installation, the Wizard hung for several hours. Trying to cancel was useless. I had to force the computer to shut down. After rebooting, I removed the file on which the wizard was hanging and after re-starting the installation, it completed and all seemed well. Since then, several problems occurred which seem to be from blocked programs.

OA would freeze with the message:

"The instruction at "OX00489cda" referenced memory at "Ox00000028". The memory could not be "read". Click on OK to terminate the program. or Click on CANCEL to debug the program.

No matter which I chose, the computer would freeze and I had to force shutdown.

After about 10 re-boots and various attempts to block/ask/trust/allow various programs, it seems the only way OA will run is to allow everything! The last time it froze, I tried to uninstall OA. It just froze again.

Now the OA free firewall seems to be working properly again, but I have no Graphic User Interface.

Should I try to reinstall or uninstall and then install again ? Are these problems common with Online Armor or just the new version 5.0.0.1097 ?

go2girl

Due to recommendations, I recently switched to OA free from a different firewall, but have been having a lot of trouble with it. First, during installation, the Wizard hung for several hours. Trying to cancel was useless. I had to force the computer to shut down. After rebooting, I removed the file on which the wizard was hanging and after re-starting the installation, it completed and all seemed well. Since then, several problems occurred which seem to be from blocked programs.

OA would freeze with the message:

"The instruction at "OX00489cda" referenced memory at "Ox00000028". The memory could not be "read". Click on OK to terminate the program. or Click on CANCEL to debug the program.

No matter which I chose, the computer would freeze and I had to force shutdown.

After about 10 re-boots and various attempts to block/ask/trust/allow various programs, it seems the only way OA will run is to allow everything! The last time it froze, I tried to uninstall OA. It just froze again.

Now the OA free firewall seems to be working properly again, but I have no Graphic User Interface.

Should I try to reinstall or uninstall and then install again ? Are these problems common with Online Armor or just the new version 5.0.0.1097 ?

go2girl

What was your previous firewall and how did you uninstall it? There may still be residue present that is incompatible with OA. These are not common problems.

Is oaui.exe listed as running in Task Manager? If not, you can try to start it from the Start menu by going to the Online Armor entry.

sded,

Previously, I was using Zone Alarm Free and it has been completely removed. Good to hear these are not common problems, but I am bit disappointed at this point. I see several similar posting from others on these boards.

catprincess,

Yes, oaui.exe, oacat.exe, oasrv.exe, and oahlp.exe all show in Task Manager. I did try opening the interface from the Start Menu (several times), but there was no response.

:) Thank you both for your quick responses. After 2 more boots, the GUI is no longer absent and the firewall seems to be working as expected. I will continue to try to identify the programs that are causing the slowdowns. This laptop is 6 years old, so a lot has accumulated on it.

go2girl

One thing that is worth looking at is http://uninstallers.blogspot.com/ . If you have used any of these security products in the past, you may find that the using the custom uninstallers helps speed things up. After running them, uninstalling, rebooting, and reinstalling OA can further improve performance.

go2girl, if you haven't already got OA and Avast excluded from each other, this would one other thing that would be worth doing as preventing the two from getting in each other's way can help with system slowdown issues in many cases :) This can be done in OA via Options -> Exclusions.

Thank you catprincess. I'm away from that machine now, but will follow your advice when I get back to it.

go2girl :D