trujwin

Network computers not listed

In my home network OA 5.0.0.1097 which I use in my notebook does not show other PCs connected .

Whereas on another PC where I use OA3.1.0.26 all the network PCs are detected and the firewall also displays LAN transfers.

There have been similiar complaints from others too. Hope you would look into it. :rolleyes:

In my home network OA 5.0.0.1097 which I use in my notebook does not show other PCs connected .

Whereas on another PC where I use OA3.1.0.26 all the network PCs are detected and the firewall also displays LAN transfers.

There have been similiar complaints from others too. Hope you would look into it. :rolleyes:

I'm paraphrasing an answer by Fabian:

The oanet.sys driver (which was the TLEM driver) is responsible for the actual packet filtering and should be running.

It doesn't show in the OA Programs List so you can't Allow or Trust it manually, or in OA Autoruns or Task Manager.

It can be seen using ProcessHacker, as in the screenshots, if it's installed, regardless of whether it's running or stopped.

OA SCW should Allow and Trust it automatically.

If Windows is prompting you to allow it to be installed, you should.

I've never been prompted by Windows about this.

Is there a chance that you need to update your Windows Security Certificates?

I can replicate the behavior using "reset list". This causes the "discovering" dialog to occur, and toggling the "trusted" status will show the proper "found new network" dialog. Unchecking "trusted" and hitting "OK" lets the discovering dialog terminate and the network setup to complete.

I can replicate the behavior using "reset list". This causes the "discovering" dialog to occur, and toggling the "trusted" status will show the proper "found new network" dialog. Unchecking "trusted" and hitting "OK" lets the discovering dialog terminate and the network setup to complete.

As you can see my First Post, the discover page is redundant ,and no options are available as they are MUTED.

Sorry; no I can't see that. They do not appear muted on the graphic I looked at headlined firewall settings /interfaces.

Sorry; no I can't see that. They do not appear muted on the graphic I looked at headlined firewall settings /interfaces.

Please see Image No 2 of my first post, where the reset list seems redundant. Some driver seems not running.

Observation using reset list to initiate the "discovering" dialog was that toggling the "trusted" checkmark in the first image a few times causes the "found new network" popup to appear more rapidly, and the computers to then appear in image 2. Does this not work for you? Would help flesh out a bug report.

Please see Image No 2 of my first post, where the reset list seems redundant. Some driver seems not running.

Did you see my post regarding this earlier?

Did you see my post regarding this earlier?

Regarding what?? Is this the one..Did you recall if you allowed the installation of the TLEM Network Services and Driver when you installed OA?

Which program would block that?? I always did a new install of OA. Could you be a little clearer with that?

Regarding what?? Is this the one..Did you recall if you allowed the installation of the TLEM Network Services and Driver when you installed OA?

Which program would block that?? I always did a new install of OA. Could you be a little clearer with that?

Well, I don't know what other security programs you might have, but it's possible for the user to deny the installation of the driver. However, you may just not have been prompted about it. If you see JW's post here http://support.emsisoft.com/topic/4518-network-computers-not-listed/page__view__findpost__p__27669 it shows one way to check if it's been installed.

I agree that there is an unresolved issue with the Interfaces and Computers tabs of the Firewall. However, I am unable to determine if it is a genuine issue with the firewall or a simple GUI problem. I am a pessimist and assume that there may be an issue with the firewall.

I believe that this behaviour did not exist before OA v4. I believe that it may have been 'introduced' to address issues (network configurations) that Windows does not handle by default. To address those issues (network configurations), a simple change to Windows is all that is required.

My observations are for Windows XP. There may be differences with the default behaviour of Windows Vista/7/x64 (but I don't think so). It is unclear which version of Windows that your PC with OA v3 is using; I suspect XP. You could be brave and install the latest release on that PC and post the results. You also may wish to advise how you connect to the net on each PC.

I consider that the resolution of this issue is dependent on Windows version, network (interfaces) configuration, and default OA configuration. I anticipate the input of those more expert in these matters than I am.

but it's possible for the user to deny the installation of the driver.

Please explain. Windows 7 x64 has never asked me if I wish to deny the installation of a driver for any software installation that I have performed.

OA installs or it does not install, in my experience.

Please explain. Windows 7 x64 has never asked me if I wish to deny the installation of a driver for any software installation that I have performed.

OA installs or it does not install, in my experience.

As I can see - you're running Windows XP. There's not prompt for OA's driver installation on XP.

Best regards,

Andrey.

As I can see - you're running Windows XP. There's not prompt for OA's driver installation on XP.

I have 3 XP (OA Premium/LnS and F-Prot) and 1 W7 x64 (W7 fw and MSE) PCs.

I have 3 XP (OA Premium/LnS and F-Prot) and 1 W7 x64 (W7 fw and MSE) PCs.

... and (I repeat that) Windows 7 x64 has never asked me if I wish to deny the installation of a driver for any software installation that I have performed.

Well, I don't know what other security programs you might have, but it's possible for the user to deny the installation of the driver. However, you may just not have been prompted about it. If you see JW's post here http://support.emsisoft.com/topic/4518-network-computers-not-listed/page__view__findpost__p__27669 it shows one way to check if it's been installed.

Well thanks for the reply , but my humble submission is it is of not much use and is not trying to reach a solution. Can Online Armor technical people advise on what modules need to be checked for running , and if not how to install them fresh??

Well thanks for the reply , but my humble submission is it is of not much use and is not trying to reach a solution. Can Online Armor technical people advise on what modules need to be checked for running , and if not how to install them fresh??

The first thing I'd try is uninstalling OA, rebooting twice and reinstalling. In cases where the driver didn't install properly for some reason, this usually fixes it.

The first thing I'd try is uninstalling OA, rebooting twice and reinstalling. In cases where the driver didn't install properly for some reason, this usually fixes it.

Sorry , did not help in this case....

Hi trujwin,

I noticed in your other thread that you are running Networx, which also monitors traffic. I have heard of another instance in which Networx's drivers appeared to have some kind clash with OA's and also another instance with a similar program called NetMeter. You could try uninstalling Networx and then installing OA and see if the problem disappears. If it does, you could then reinstall Networx and see if hopefully the problem doesn't return.

Judson say:

"Windows 7 x64 has never asked me if I wish to deny the installation of a driver for any software installation that I have performed."

1. This occurs if you have turned OFF the User Account Control (UAC)

image 01

To check your case: type UAC <enter> on START

image 02

2. Also occurs if on the FIRST installation of OA you say "Don't Install"

image 03

3. And this persists no matter how many uninstalls and reinstalls you do.

4. To shed somo light on your case, with OA installed:

device manager > View > Show hidden > Network adapters > OnlineArmor Miniport > Properties > oanet.sys has problems

image 04 image 05 image 06 image 07 08

To twists the arm of W7:

5. enable the hidden Built-in Administrator Account:

type CMD and press the 3 keys SHFT CNTRL <enter>

image 09

and then net user administrator /active:yes <enter>

image 10

you have created a new "Administrator Account"

6. Uninstall OA > restart the system > enter by the new account "Administrator"

7. Install OA (i do it as OA Premium Free Trial) with right-click on the installer (run as administrator).

8. Give it time to complet all their steps > restat.

9. Enter by your usual user account > i hope you see image 12 and forgot image 11.

10. You can go to point 4 to see the changes.

And to point 5, but now enter net user administrator /active:no

to Disable the Hidden Built-in Administrator Account.

image 13

11. As you can see the problem is how we interact with W7.

OA do not have any bug, it is an excellent piece of software.

J.P.

Appreciate the reply.Unfortunately they are not supported with images.Also in my case the hidden Network adapters do not include ONLINE ARMOR at all.

Judson say:

"Windows 7 x64 has never asked me if I wish to deny the installation of a driver for any software installation that I have performed"

1. This occurs if you have turned OFF the User Account Control

I have UAC set to 'Default'. Driver is the key word in my post.

For those wishing to see what the driver install prompt for OA looks like, it is pictured here in a example that ctrlaltdelete posted http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1743304&postcount=4

It seems that the driver isn't installing correctly on your system, trujwin as you should have the Online Armor miniport present. I can't be sure why it's not installing, but if it was me, I'd consider trying the things I mentioned previously here http://support.emsisoft.com/topic/4518-network-computers-not-listed/page__view__findpost__p__29338

For those wishing to see what the driver install prompt for OA looks like, it is pictured here in a example that ctrlaltdelete posted http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1743304&postcount=4

Does the prompt occur for any/every install of OA?

Is the prompt dependent upon the OA version (free/premium/++)?

Is the prompt dependent upon the Windows version (XP/Vista/7, x86/x64)?

Does the prompt occur for any/every install of OA?

That depends on whether you tick the "Always trust software from "Emsi Software GmbH"" box.

Is the prompt dependent upon the OA version (free/premium/++)?

No.

Is the prompt dependent upon the Windows version (XP/Vista/7, x86/x64)?

Yes, as Andrey stated previously in this thread, it doesn't occur on XP. It's only seen with O/S's starting from Vista onwards (I don't think it should matter whether you have x86 or x64; at least with some other programs similar prompts will appear on either architecture, but I'm not certain with regards to OA).

That depends on whether you tick the "Always trust software from "Emsi Software GmbH"" box.

Yes, as Andrey stated previously in this thread, it doesn't occur on XP. It's only seen with O/S's starting from Vista onwards (I don't think it should matter whether you have x86 or x64; at least with some other programs similar prompts will appear on either architecture, but I'm not certain with regards to OA).

Thanks, again.

I assumed that XP does not experience the issue; but I had to ask. I remain uncertain about x86/x64, as there are insufficient examples (posts) to confirm that it is one, the other, or both.

'Always trust software ...' may indicate that it is unsigned or its certificate has expired. There may be other reasons, but security software should not prompt such alerts.

I have not seen a (this) driver alert on my W7 x64 PC with UAC at default (maximum). I have installed drivers with this configuration. I have not installed OA on an x64 PC.

It appears to be an OA issue (and should be explained in the OA help pages).

... and it appears to result in issues such that reported by the OP. I can assure you that I observe the consequences on our XP PCs.

Thanks, again.

I assumed that XP does not experience the issue; but I had to ask. I remain uncertain about x86/x64, as there are insufficient examples (posts) to confirm that it is one, the other, or both.

'Always trust software ...' may indicate that it is unsigned or its certificate has expired. There may be other reasons, but security software should not prompt such alerts.

I have not seen a (this) driver alert on my W7 x64 PC with UAC at default (maximum). I have installed drivers with this configuration. I have not installed OA on an x64 PC.

OA has a different oanet.sys driver on Windows XP systems.

On Vista and 7 (x86/x64) the os should prompt when oanet.sys is being installed.

If oanet.sys driver would not be properly signed or in case the certificate the driver was signed with expires - windows should not allow the installation or the driver startup. You can read more about driver signing at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg487317

About the topic:

First thing I'd try is to uninstall Networx and see if reinstalling OA's firewall component would help (OA Configuration->Options->Firewall-> click uninstall firewall button, then reboot and click install firewall button and reboot again). The uninstall/install buttons should be visible in Advanced Mode.

+ It'd be good to check if you have any remnants of other security software that was installed previously on your system.

Best regards,

Andrey.

OA has a different oanet.sys driver on Windows XP systems.

On Vista and 7 (x86/x64) the os should prompt when oanet.sys is being installed.

If oanet.sys driver would not be properly signed or in case the certificate the driver was signed with expires - windows should not allow the installation or the driver startup. You can read more about driver signing at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg487317

Yeah :rolleyes:

I understand about drivers/XP/W7/x86/x64, et seq; that is not the issue.

It just seems as though I am not alone.

I've never been prompted by Windows about this.

However, thanks :mellow:

I did a complete UNISTALL of the previous OA and did a new install of 1383. Luckily I got 2 prompts from WINDOWS regarding installation of a program from OA. I okayed them and now the Network computers are listed. Networx is innocent in this case.

Whew! :thumbs:

Oh my God! My previous post was just a shade too quick I suppose. On the next restart , I could not see the networked PCs on my explorer at both the ends (the other one is using Windows XP). Just to clarify I did the installation mentioned above on my laptop (WIn 7) ONLY leaving the config in my other machine untouched. So it has all got to do with the OA installation and its network drivers only. Thankfully I restored my computer registry to a earlier date thru ERUNT (which does automatic sys backup every day). Then explorer will display the network computers but OA will not. Then after a few installations , uninstallations (trying various combinations) , system restores (literally driven to the wall) I am back to square one.

Might be that the config in my system earlier had something to it , but OA has compounded it.

WIN 7 in my experience has caused a lot of troubles in my Home Networking.

I have had a few observations in the whole episode.

1.When OA drivers I presume SIX of them are active , WINDOWS networking (explorer display) does not list computers even though the other computer is kept as trusted and OA cleanly lists the computers in the FIREWALL section .

2.With the OA drivers either hidden or uinstalled explorer display seems to work.

3.Restarting twice as catprincess always suggests makes a WORLD of difference. In my case it killed the network display as explained

Just since OA works along with Windows it could be useful to know if certain services are to be enabled and if the relevant registry entries are in the right places to get the best of OA.Any technical help will be greatly appreciated.

Despite the other issues you are having, if are you no longer seeing "No active interfaces" displayed on the Firewall Status Screen, then the driver itself is working properly and the problem lies elsewhere (either with OA or with your system).

With regards to the matter of networked computers not showing up in Explorer - you should make sure you have not blocked anything in the Firewall that may be necessary and if you have disabled services in Windows that are enabled by default, then it's possible this could cause problems also.

On the matter of the registry restore, anything could happen when you restore the registry to a prior date. It could be removing entries for dozens of programs that didn't exist when you made that registry backup, or it could be adding dozens of entries that are now no longer applicable or incorrect for your current settings.

Hi, Thanks for the reply.I would be very eager to move towards a solution .There is one more issue here. Online Armor drivers do not get uninstalled by Win7. During the problem state (which I have stated) Win 7 is not able to install OA drivers properly , uninstall them properly and most of the times are reported as unknown device in the device manager.So obviously there seems to be some legacy issues in the drivers which complicates the whole issue.

Despite the other issues you are having, if are you no longer seeing "No active interfaces" displayed on the Firewall Status Screen, then the driver itself is working properly and the problem lies elsewhere (either with OA or with your system).

Yeah that is what I myself have stated. I require a possible manoeuvre to a solution.

With regards to the matter of networked computers not showing up in Explorer - you should make sure you have not blocked anything in the Firewall that may be necessary and if you have disabled services in Windows that are enabled by default, then it's possible this could cause problems also.

Windows Firewall is disabled in my system.

On the matter of the registry restore, anything could happen when you restore the registry to a prior date. It could be removing entries for dozens of programs that didn't exist when you made that registry backup, or it could be adding dozens of entries that are now no longer applicable or incorrect for your current settings.

THe point is I can get the system to work , but I get a hard choice of either the WINDOWS Network display or the OA display. I am just not able to get both. Though unique there are others who have reported this.

So everything on the Firewall Status window functions properly now?

Under Firewall -> Interfaces, is it still stuck on "Discovering network" as per the screenshot in your first post?

So everything on the Firewall Status window functions properly now?

Under Firewall -> Interfaces, is it still stuck on "Discovering network" as per the screenshot in your first post?

Exactly. Stuck at the same place. Infact now in the device manager there shows 5 Unknown devices I am sure is OA.img atached. Also whenever I go to Wireless properties OA is seen ticked , but the tab literally hangs (img).From the process explorer there seems to be an unusual SVChost run and netdll.dll memory sweep. This I am terribly sure is due to the OA not installing/ uninstalling the drivers (or may be a compatiblity problem with Win 7). The only good thing about 1395 is there was this tlem driver prompt.

Is is very difficult to determine what you are seeing when you don't give specific answers. There is no way for anyone to know whether "exactly" means "yes" to the first question and no to the second question or vice versa, or yes to both questions.

I'd suggest you uninstall OA again (be sure that you do not use a third party uninstaller), reboot twice and then examine the Device Manager again. If there are any unknown devices or devices with errors under either Network Adapters or Non Plug and Play devices (you will likely need to enable "Show hidden devices from the View menu to see them), you should be able to right click them and obtain information on the "Driver details". If any of these devices correspond to OA drivers, they should be manually removed - if in doubt you can post the details and ask first. Also check after install that the Online Armor folder has been correctly removed from Program Files (x86).

Then I'd still suggest you uninstall NetWorx before attempting to install OA as Emsisoft have suggested previously. This is the only way to be sure it's not creating problems with the installation of OA's drivers.

Is is very difficult to determine what you are seeing when you don't give specific answers. There is no way for anyone to know whether "exactly" means "yes" to the first question and no to the second question or vice versa, or yes to both questions.

Sorry..That was a yes to the second question which meant that OA is stuck with discovering Networks.

I'd suggest you uninstall OA again (be sure that you do not use a third party uninstaller), reboot twice and then examine the Device Manager again. If there are any unknown devices or devices with errors under either Network Adapters or Non Plug and Play devices (you will likely need to enable "Show hidden devices from the View menu to see them), you should be able to right click them and obtain information on the "Driver details". If any of these devices correspond to OA drivers, they should be manually removed - if in doubt you can post the details and ask first. Also check after install that the Online Armor folder has been correctly removed from Program Files (x86).

I have tried all these many times over.The Unknown devices is adamant and would not move even after uninstall (No 3rd party tool used) and a second boot.

OA 1395 refreshingly displays the alert for TLEM driver which apparently was a issue in the earlier versions.I think now it is upto OA to narrow down the cause to whether there indeed is a faulty driver or a compatibility issue with Win 7 home edition.

If there are some other way of debug tool which OA would like to test I can do that. Meanwhile what version of Windows are you using? Are you able to get the Network display in both OA and Windows?

So what was the answer the first question then?

I don't recall you saying you ever uninstalled NetWorx after doing these things though (you also did not say that you manually removed the drivers) and then reinstalled OA while NetWorx was uninstalled. Emsisoft specifically requested that you try this.

So what was the answer the first question then?

Interfaces and Computers are part of the Firewall menu. So obviously if you view in entirety you may conclude that it is not yet working for me. I have had no particular issues with programs and ports of the Firewall menu and they seem to work fine.

Sorry but how could that possibly be obvious to anyone who can't see your screen? Due to your unwillingness to cooperate with Emsisoft's request or answer questions with reasonable answers, I am closing this thread as there is nothing anyone can do to assist you. If you change your mind and decide to cooperate in future, please feel free to PM a moderator to have it reopened.