Sign in to follow this  
newboy192

Web Shield problems

Hello:

Windows XP Home (SP3)

Dell Dimension 3100 PC

Current Online Armor Premium version: 5.0.0.1100

I have been a long term user of OA firewall (paid).

Previously with OA4 I was experiencing significant internet performance issues which I traced back (by trial and error) to OA Web Shield. I therefore disabled it and the performance problem was resolved.

I received today a reminder that my subscription will expire in 60 days, so I thought that I would upgrade and test the newest version before renewing. Prior to the upgrade I attempted to “normalize” OA 4 by turning off HIPS (past bad experiences with OA has taught me that upgrades may fail if its left enabled) and also re-enabling Web Shield. However I could not turn Web Shield back on again (it was grayed out along with a message saying “not installed”).

So I went ahead with an upgrade anyway and installed OA 5.0.0.1100 via updates. As I half expected Web Shield remained switched off in the new version and there was no way I could find to switch it back on.

So I removed OA completely and downloaded Version 5.0.0.1097 from the website in an attempt to make a clean install. But again Web Shield remained grayed out and switched off.

Next I attempted to upgrade the installation from 1097 to 1100 using the intrinsic update facilities but again no success with enabling Web Shield.

By the way I did the usual “2 reboots” at every step (along with examining the chicken entrails which OA usually recommends).

Any suggestions (apart from yet another install)?

Any suggestions (apart from yet another install)?

Have you tried right clicking the OA icon and choosing "Activate HIPS features"? If it says "Deactivate HIPS features" instead, choose that and then reboot when requested, then try activating them again.

Just spent an hour following your suggestions with absolutely no result:

(1) Deactivated HIPS. Restarted. No change (Web Shield grayed out and no way to turn it on)

(2) Rebooted (twice) and activated HIPS. No change - Web Shield remains greyed out.

(3) Uninstalled OA. Rebooted twice. Checked that hidden OA drivers did not remain via device manager. Reinstalled OA from website and rebooted twice. No change - Web Shield remains greyed out.

(4) Upgraded to version 1100. Rebooted twice. No change - web shield remains greyed out.

So now what?

Just spent an hour following your suggestions with absolutely no result:

(1) Deactivated HIPS. Restarted. No change (Web Shield grayed out and no way to turn it on)

(2) Rebooted (twice) and activated HIPS. No change - Web Shield remains greyed out.

(3) Uninstalled OA. Rebooted twice. Checked that hidden OA drivers did not remain via device manager. Reinstalled OA from website and rebooted twice. No change - Web Shield remains greyed out.

(4) Upgraded to version 1100. Rebooted twice. No change - web shield remains greyed out.

So now what?

Hi newboy192,

Could you please post a screenshot of grayed-out Web Shield?

EDIT: overlooked you mentioned you have SP3 installed :( sorry

Thanks in advance,

Best regards,

Andrey.

Hi newboy192,

Could you please post a screenshot of grayed-out Web Shield?

EDIT: overlooked you mentioned you have SP3 installed :( sorry

Thanks in advance,

Best regards,

Andrey.

Hi Andrey

Screenshot attached of OA status page as requested. If I right click the OA icon in the system tray I also see Web Shield grayed out - Firewall, Program Guard and Key Logger are ticked as you would expect.

Regards

Hi Andrey

Screenshot attached of OA status page as requested. If I right click the OA icon in the system tray I also see Web Shield grayed out - Firewall, Program Guard and Key Logger are ticked as you would expect.

Regards

Hi newboy192,

Could you please enable debug mode (Options->General->tick the "Enable debug mode" checkbox), reboot (or restart OA) and send me the logs (located in the "Logs" directory in OA's folder) to oasupport (at) emsisoft (dot) com.

Please include the link to this thread somewhere in your message body.

Thanks in advance,

Best regards,

Andrey.

Hi newboy192,

Could you please enable debug mode (Options->General->tick the "Enable debug mode" checkbox), reboot (or restart OA) and send me the logs (located in the "Logs" directory in OA's folder) to oasupport (at) emsisoft (dot) com.

Please include the link to this thread somewhere in your message body.

Thanks in advance,

Best regards,

Andrey.

Hello Andrey,

Just sent you the logs you requested.

Regards

Hello Andrey,

Just sent you the logs you requested.

Regards

Do you have Bit Defender excluded in OA and OA in Bit Defender ?

If not - please exclude them from each other ;)

Do you have Bit Defender excluded in OA and OA in Bit Defender ?

If not - please exclude them from each other ;)

I know where you are coming from, and yes they are both excluded from each other by reference to their respective program folders. Bit Defender Active Virus Control (ie their version of HIPS) is also always disabled. Both OA and Bit Defender have been installed on my PC over a number of yaears and have always co-existed with each other.

Regards

Hi Andrewf,

I've just noticed looking at the HISTORY in OA that Program Guard now TRUSTS OAsrv, OAcat and OADump every time the system boots. It looks that OA canot remember to Trusty its own modules! It never used to report this in the previous OA version.

I attach a creen shot.

I don't know if this is relevant to the problem in hand or may even be a new feature of the latest version but I thought I'd point it out just in case it was important.

Regards

Hi Andrewf,

I've just noticed looking at the HISTORY in OA that Program Guard now TRUSTS OAsrv, OAcat and OADump every time the system boots. It looks that OA canot remember to Trusty its own modules! It never used to report this in the previous OA version.

I attach a creen shot.

I don't know if this is relevant to the problem in hand or may even be a new feature of the latest version but I thought I'd point it out just in case it was important.

Regards

Thanks for reporting :)

As for the beta - I'll pm you the link as soon as the next beta will pass initial testing.

Best regards,

Andrey.

Thanks for reporting :)

As for the beta - I'll pm you the link as soon as the next beta will pass initial testing.

Best regards,

Andrey.

Hi Andrey,

Ok I'll wait, but any idea when the beta might be available? Its just that I've got 55 days left before my current licence expires and I'd like to know if I can resolve this problem with OA before(if)I renew.

Thanks