Sign in to follow this  
TheWarden

More questions on "GoogleUpdateSetup.exe" pop-ups?

I've been getting a lot of pop ups for GoogleUpdatesetup.exe, very similar to the one below. Any more info on this? I'd been allowing it, but today it popped up with a red frame and it says "suspicious location." So, I blocked this one. I assume it's a false positive. If so, how can you exclude the directory so it doesn't pop up any more? "Remember decision" didn't do anything.

http://support.emsisoft.com/topic/4331-suddenly-getting-several-alerts-about-googleupdatesetupexe/

Sorry for the dumb questions.

OA 4.0.0.45 Free version

Without a screenshot of the popup or the information from copying the History entry, it's had to tell whether it's legitimate or not. The version of OA you are running is also quite old and the popups differ from version to version. I would recommend you upgrade to 5.0.0.1097 which is the latest version available :)

Try adding "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update" to the options/exclusions tab. There are different versions of this file with different Google downloads.

Hrmm, oh, that's odd, I swore I updated OA not long ago. I am confused, V5 is the free and paid version? What happens when the trial runs out?

As for the last blocked G.U.S.exe, I hit export and I can copy this line for you to look at:

Program Guard: GoogleUpdateSetup.exe,6/10/2011 7:48:15 PM,Blocked,C:\Program Files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe -> C:\Program Files\Google\Update\Install\{13440992-D1C6-4199-A78D-601D0F635306}\GoogleUpdateSetup.exe

I can not find this program anyway. It doesn't show up in Add / Remove programs, nor my start menu. Unless it's the Google Earth web plugin that I installed a long time ago... or Firefox's built in google bar in the upper right.

Thanks for any help.

EDIT: I found my answer now. V5 is full version that converts to free version upon time limit. Got it.

Did you look for it with Explorer in the location recommended for exclusion? No reason it should be in the locations you mention after it is installed. Google also seems to erase some of the updates when they are finished being installed.

Did you look for it with Explorer in the location recommended for exclusion? No reason it should be in the locations you mention after it is installed. Google also seems to erase some of the updates when they are finished being installed.

Oh yes, it's in that location on the drive. I meant I couldn't find what it is - Dunno if I use it, so I was looking for an uninstall.

What Google does is download the upgrade installer, do the upgrade, and doesn't always remove the installer even though you are finished with it. Some Microsoft products work this way also. You should be able to just move it to the recycle bin.

Like most of these block recommendations, you should block it if you don't know what it is. But it is in the right place for Google updates, And you are using Google products, so is an FP in that sense. Don't know why OA recommends a block. I have it exluded.