Sign in to follow this  
seagoblin

emisoft anti malware , traces scanned almost 900,000?

traces.jpg

what are traces? what are they used for? why are there so many?

i dont even have half that amount of files on my computer... this is stupid

what folder do i find these traces in? i wanna delete them all and start over so theirs only like 0

even if there not harming me there still giving my computer extra work and i hate that, i wanna delete them all but i cant find the folder and google is no help

Hi seagoblin, welcome to the forum

Traces are Registry Entries created by the Software(s) installed.

Therefore there could be many of them , which is not correlated with the number of files.

Please read about Traces. See the following (similar) request. You may not read whole thread if you don't want to, start say from the reply #6 , were you find the reference to Emsisoft's article about Traces and more

or in order to make it easier for you - just read Spyware Traces in Detail

My regards

p.s. 1) It's a matter of asking and learning. Here in the forum there are many people who will answer & help. ... No need to start from "...this is stupid..." ;)

2) You can use Search feature of the forum e.g. for "Traces" and find related topics. For example, this thread

it doesnt seem to help me delete them..... honestly any of those traces i have are from programs i dont even have on my computer anymore

so isnt there a program and finds the dead traces and jsut gets rid of them? i dont see why i need traces to things that i dont have anymore?

it doesnt seem to help me delete them..... honestly any of those traces i have are from programs i dont even have on my computer anymore...

1st, you've posted only the header, where EAM just sate the number of Traces scanned in the Registry.

You did not post neither the rest of the image nor the saved report, that can be attached.

After doing the latter you can ask any questions about the scan results and the real detections and/or (better) you can submit the entries you are not sure about (Submitting suspected False Positives for analysis)

or

you can WhiteList those entries that you trust and consider being False Positives(FP)

Basically, nothing can be advised without having such info . Do you have any flaggings as a result of scanning?

Note: as for Traces - keep in mind, that you can perform just a Quick scan and all Traces will be scanned again, so you do not need either Smart or Deep scans for that

so isnt there a program and finds the dead traces and jsut gets rid of them? i dont see why i need traces to things that i dont have anymore?
Again, scanning Traces as a procedure - is not only about what you "have" or not, it's about checking the specific locations in the Registry where Software(s) can (potentially) place those Traces. Sometimes those are created by real Spyware or Malware,... sometimes those could be FPs

As for finding associations - there are several techniques and Software

1st, you can use CCleaner in order to delete unneeded unused entries.

This Tool is quite soft compare to others , but still you must have experience as with any Reg. Cleaning Software

Then you can use such Utility as RegScanner by NirSoft for very thorough and fast search inside the Registry as a start point in order to find associated Software

Finally, as it was discussed in referred thread Traces , even being removed can reoccur as soon as you use the Software next time (until you WhiteList the trusted ones)

My regards

i already use CCleaner probably been using it once a week for the past 3 years, and i use registry mechanic pro, once a week for years as well

there settings are on deep scans so they find everything, i just want a program that will take 900,000 traces and delete them all can the next reply just state the name of a program that does this instead of me having to get a lecture on what things do and

this isnt a hard question to answer should take less then 10 words to get your point across for this...... just saying

don't worrie about traces i have the same as you if they were infections they would be taken out by the scan they won't harm you

no worries i know there not harmful lol i just have a old computer so having almost a million of them lags me and i really wanna just get rid of them all and start new

...there settings are on deep scans so they find everything, i just want a program that will take 900,000 traces and delete them all can the next reply just state the name of a program that does this instead of me having to get a lecture on what things do and

this isnt a hard question to answer should take less then 10 words to get your point across for this...... just saying

Good morning, seagoblin

No! you do not want & you do not need to delete 830.738 Traces

Again – as above – that is just a total number where EAM

checking the specific locations in the Registry where Software(s) can (potentially) place those Traces.

As many times you scan that will be the number and it may grow if the developers discover any other new entries that may represent potential (stressing) threats (see examples below)

So in order to receive another “10 words answer”, please answer the question asked

Do you have any flaggings as a result of scanning?

Here is an old example of Traces flagged

thumb_5668311Traces_Detected_1.png in this case I released some flagged Traces from WhiteList

Here is my current scan (just prior to posting)

thumb_4011196Traces_No_Detections_2.png

Pay attention to the following

1) nothing was detected (because previously detected Traces are in my WhiteList);

2) see the number of Traces scanned - highlighted in the 2nd image (taken today) and compare that to the number depicted in the 1st image (taken last year). You see the difference

I hope that clarified at least few things now

My regards