Sign in to follow this  
johnl

Problems shutting down PC

Hello,

I have been testing Emsisoft Anti Malware for the last few days and having problems shutting down the PC. I have seen this mentioned in a previous posting(s) but can't seem to find an answer.

Clicking start, turn off computer, turn off and the PC starts the shut down process, the Emsisoft icon disappears from the tray (bottom right) but the shut down process then freezes. I can still use the computer normally in this state but to complete the shut down I have to repeat the process. This happens roughly 50% of the time and I cannot see any pattern.

Looking in the Event Viewer, Event 1073 is logged - "The attempt to power off JOHN-F208967F4B failed"

My system runs XP Pro, I run Comodo Firewall and Avira AntiVirus, they both obviously start on boot up. I have used both programmes on many computers for some years with no problems. I reformatted and did a clean install a few weeks ago, I clean and defrag the PC regularly and it operates reliably. I have been running MalwareBytes Antimalware and thinking there was a conflict I reconfigured MalwareBytes to operate 'on demand' only, i.e. it does not run automatically.

The problem still exists.

I uninstalled EAM and ran my PC with only Comodo and Avira for a few days and the PC behaved properly - i.e. no shut down problems. On reinstalling and reconfiguring EAM the problem has reappeared.

Anyone with any ideas? I have another 3 or 4 days of testing EAM and obviously if I cannot find a remedy I will need to uninstall the software and go back to MalwareBytes. I'd truly like to run EAM for a few months and see how it's performing.

John

The first thing to check is that all your security programs exclude each other from monitoring.

Can you tell us about other memory resident programs running, please? Are there any other warnings or errors in the application or system logs when the shut down process freezes?

H_D – thanks for your input.

>>> The first thing to check is that all your security programs exclude each other from monitoring. <<<

Sorry but I’m not too sure what you mean by this – and how I should check.

I have Comodo Firewall version 2.4.18.184 and Avira AntiVir Personal installed, they both obviously run permanently. I have used both for some years on many computers and never had problems – that’s not to say there won’t be a conflict – just that up to now they have behaved perfectly…

As to other programmes running, as far as I know there is nothing. Before shutting down the PC I always close all programmes. There will be some services running obviously.

When the PC fails to close, all that appears to happen is the Emsisoft icon disappears from the system tray and the shut down procedure stops. The PC can still be used and it ‘appears’ as if the only thing that has happened is that EAM has closed.

The Event Viewer, System, reports an event 1073 = “The attempt to power off JOHN-F208967F4B failed”

Any comments/ suggestions welcome, thanks.

You need to configure the Avira real-time guard and the EAM real-time guard to not scan each others installation folders and to ignore each others exe files/processes.

If the shut-down still fails after this, use MSConfig to disable all startups and non-Microsoft services except for EAM (make a note of which are enabled before you do this), then reboot and shut-down. If the machine shuts down then there exists a conflict between one of the startups/services running on your PC.

If the shut-down fails, uninstall EAM, then reinstall and try again.

If the shut down is successful we will troubleshoot which process is responsible and try to work out a solution.

Let us know how you get on.

Hi Guys,

This is well known MS bug.

You can find hundreds if not thousands discussions all over the place

Unfortunately MS itself admitted Currently there are no Microsoft Knowledge Base articles available for this specific error or event message

Hi johnl,

Well, sure please test what H_D suggested, but keep in mind that you have to turn all disabled features back "On" after all, since MSConfig can be used for testing purposes only(!)

That is not a proper way to disable any Startup's / Services/ ... etc.

You would rather use Autoruns by SysInternals

I hope that you will find something using suggested MSConfig use (despite I have doubts)

Further, definitely follow H_D's advice re: Mutual Exclusion Rules by any security in use

If no luck - after all disabled by MSConfig are set back, please

- Reboot

and then

- Reboot again in Safe Mode (F8)

- Shut down

Any differences?

other than that … below are several points that worth to be considered & tested

Usually the said error can be caused by:

1) Legacy Software in use . Do you have any, that is set to start with Windows?;

2) Please disable the following:

- Hibernation (waste of resources... no less than...);

- Fast User Switching – that is a major troublesome feature, which must(!) be disabled;

3) Please consider to install and use User Profile Hive Cleanup Service ;

4) Since you encountered the issues after EAM was installed, as far as I got it from your initial post,

consider to disable Guard > File Guard Tab > “Protect PC even if no user logged on”

There could be some other tips, but if you really wanna find out & pinpoint the cause - please be patient and follow the above one-by-one … meaning returning every and each option back if the issue persists

:rolleyes: Not easy, and time-consuming , but if you are really committed that will be a great help to other users, facing the similar trouble

Cheers!

H_D & Lynx - thanks for your inputs.

Ironically I've not had the shut down problem for a day or so and that makes it more difficult as I want to do one thing at a time to see if I can not just sort this problem but know what I did that actually helped! Doing lots of things at the same time and curing the problem for me is not 'really' the answer !!! But I do need to have lots of ideas...

H_D - I've tried to configure Comodo and Avira to ignore each other's .exe files etc.

I have used MS Config in the past but I'm never happy using it... I would normally use TuneUp Utilities to change my start up programmes and I normally have these cut down to a minimum. Interestingly TuneUp tells me that an nVidia thingy starts at boot up. I've tried to disable this but it seems to be one of the few programmes that TuneUp can't stop! At the moment I cannot see any other way to stop it - apart maybe by disabling via the Device Manager... Interestingly I seem to remember whilst reading the forums that nVidia may prove problemmatical ? The nVidia driver is dated 11.11.2004 so maybe an updated driver might help ? I presume if I uninstalled this driver the monitor would still wotk using a generic MS driver ? Maybe that a good place to start.

Lynx - I also read of the MANY reports of shut down problems but I never had them before. Incidentally I have been using the MS Profile Hive Clean Up Tool for a long time.

I'm going to be running out of testing days so I think I will purchase the software, I can then try various things without feeling I'm under pressure...

Thanks again and I'll post if I find anything...

Thanks, Lynx for the extra and useful info and suggestions.

Johnl - as well as the above, note that it is never a good idea to have two real-time anti-virus solutions installed at the same time. File access will be significantly impacted and system performance will suffer as a result. If you want two or more AV products installed choose just one for real-time scanning, and the rest should be used on-demand only.

Considering your driver is so old, I would look into updating all your hardware drivers and any firmware too.

Can you tell us a little about your computer, please? Make/model and operating system version.

Thanks

H_D - thanks again for that.

>>> it is never a good idea to have two real-time anti-virus solutions installed at the same time. <<<

I'm running Avira, Comodo and EAM. Are you saying I could disable Avira ? Surely apart from EAM I require a dedicated AV programme ?

Meanwhile I'll look into updating drivers etc as you suggest.

Incidentally the PC is a DELL Dimension 9150 ~5 years old, with a Pentium D running at 3Ghz with 4 Megs of Crucial RAM. HD is a 250 Gb SATA and the OS is XP PRO MCE.

I did a re-install a few months ago and try and keep the machine reasonably clean and in good order, i.e. defrag regularrly and uninstall any unused software.

Thanks again for your help, really appreciated.

H_D - thanks again for that.

>>> it is never a good idea to have two real-time anti-virus solutions installed at the same time. <<<

I'm running Avira, Comodo and EAM. Are you saying I could disable Avira ? Surely apart from EAM I require a dedicated AV programme ?

EAM is a dedicated AV solution. What did you think it was? It includes real-time AV protection that incorporates behavioural analysis and 'surf' protection.

Meanwhile I'll look into updating drivers etc as you suggest.

Incidentally the PC is a DELL Dimension 9150 ~5 years old, with a Pentium D running at 3Ghz with 4 Megs of Crucial RAM. HD is a 250 Gb SATA and the OS is XP PRO MCE.

I did a re-install a few months ago and try and keep the machine reasonably clean and in good order, i.e. defrag regularrly and uninstall any unused software.

Thanks again for your help, really appreciated.

Sounds like a solid machine. You may want to look at a dedicated program that will update your drivers and firmware for you. Manually doing this can be a trial.

>>> EAM is a dedicated AV solution. What did you think it was? <<<

Well as it's called Anti Malware I assumed that's what it was - anti malware. I had not realised it included real time AV protection as well. I'll try uninstalling Avira and see how EAM plays on it's own.

The PC has been behaving last couple of days. I've been booting up then shuting down quite a lot with no problems - then - bang - it freezes again this morning for no apparent reason - well not apparent to me anyway. I'd previously configured EAM and Avira to ignore each other as suggested by H_D so presumably that's not the problem. In any event I'll configure Avira to be on demand only and see what happens.

Thanks again.

J

Aha!

Well, yes, but malware is generic whereas virus, spyware, riskware, crimeware, rootkit etc are specific. So, malware encompasses everything :)

H_D - I see - you learn something new every day.

Having removed AntiVir I'm just running EAM and Comodo and keeping an eye on things. I've also updated a couple of drivers.

Yesterday I purchased a 12 month licence for EAM so I'm commited to making an effort to make it run!

Lynx - >>> consider to disable Guard > File Guard Tab > “Protect PC even if no user logged on” <<<

I may do that later, I don't want to disable any of EAM's facilities unless I have to but maybe as a last resort...

And finally, a question. If I configure EAM to do regular scans have I any control over what sort of scan it will do? Obviously when doing an on demand scan I can choose from quick, smart, deep or custom. I would visualise doing a quick or smart scan once daily and maybe a deep scan once a week.

Thanks for your help,

J

If you schedule a scan and specify a time, the scan will default to a Deep Scan.

If you choose Scan, then Custom, you can configure the scan settings and save that configuration as a file .a2s (I think - I'm not at my home PC). You can then go back to the Scheduled Scan page and choose to load a custom scan set (the .a2s file) to define the type of scan you want to run, and then set the schedule as required.

H_D

>>> If you choose Scan, then Custom, you can configure the scan settings and save that configuration as a file .a2s (I think - I'm not at my home PC). You can then go back to the Scheduled Scan page and choose to load a custom scan set (the .a2s file) to define the type of scan you want to run, and then set the schedule as required <<<

Thanks for that.

I'd read further into the Instructions (which is what I should have done before posting...) and realised how to do this.

Reading some of the other postings I'm always saddened at how some posters get quite uppity if for one reason or other they don't like the replies they are getting. I'm always grateful that someone - often someone who has no monetary connction with the company producing the software - can find time to post and help someone who knows much less than them.

Thanks again, I think I'm getting to know EAM now - and my shut down problems 'appear' to have gone - I'll just not hold my breath for now...

J

Thanks a lot for posting back John.

EAM is probably one of the most configurable anti-malware applications available. Because of this, there is a fair amount of tweaking available to the customer, but, as you are discovering, these options are genuinely useful, and of course they are documented.

We are always happy for anyone to ask a question as it often gets them on track and they can then finish on their own.

It is also good news that your PC appears to shut-down without issue. However, I am a little surprised that removing AntiVir fixed this. Was there anything else that was removed or any system settings that have been changed since the PC began shutting down without a problem?

Well in my last posting I said:-

>>> my shut down problems 'appear' to have gone - I'll just not hold my breath for now...<<<

Seems I spoke too soon as last night it was up to it's old tricks again, exactly the same as before. First attempt to shut down appeared to close EAM (well it disappeared from the tray) and the usual Event 1073 logged in the Event Viewer. This PC gets turned on and off a good few times every day and I must admit I thought the problem had finally disappeared. BUT it seems it's still here unless last night was a fluke. Just a case of keeping an eye on things I guess.

Someone asked ealier if there were any other issues logged in the Event Viewer and I omitted to say (as I didn't think it was related) that I get an Event 7022. "The MSCamSvc service hung on starting". This relates to my webcam which I do not allow to start on boot up. I always try and keep programmes that start on boot up to a bare minimum and as it starts up correctly when I use Skype I have it tuned off.

Something interesting I noticed a couple of days ago and I'm sure it's totally unconnected with my shut down problems... I degrag quite regularly, ~every copuple of weeks. Invariably MS tells me I don't need to but recently it is saying "You should defragment this volume" even when the disk 'appears' good. Yesterday I downloaded and ran Smart Defrag 2. This appeared to do a good job, compressing all the files into a neat block. I then ran the MS defragger and it still says "You should defragment this volume".

Strange :huh:

Meanwhile I'll keep an eye on things...

I can only suggest that you uninstall EAM and see if the shut-down failure disappears. If it does, reinstall EAM and contact Customer Support who will help you better than I can.

Hello i have the same problem when i shut down. It doesnot shutdown but if you shut down. It won't go back to start and do another shutdown it will shutdown. I have to shutdown 2 times for it to work.

Hi AXE,

If you tried all suggestions discussed in replies #2-#12 re: shutdown issue and that didn't work, then please follow the advice by H_D in his last reply #17

In addition, see “Please read before posting!» at the top of the section and provide all info requested by the developers as in Announcement: Information to include in your support requests

My regards

Hello,

Since having shut down problems after installing EAM I finally uninstalled it from my machine and returned to my previous Avira AntiVir/MalwareBytes combination and I have not had any shut down problems since. This to me would suggest that the problem is EAM-related. The PC has been behaving for the last three weeks whereas with EAM installed it would give shut down problems every couple of days.

I'm very grateful to members of this Forum who freely gave of their time and offered various suggestions.

My copy of EAM is a paid for version so I would obviously like to reinstall the software if only I could find a solution to this shut down problem. My computing activities have been curtailed slightly as I have recently undergone eye suregery but I 'may' uninstall Avira/MB and reinstall EAM and confirm whether the problem re-arises.

Thanks again H_D and LYNX for your advice.

John

You're welcome, but did you contact customer support? When you do and you resolve this, please post the fix.

H_D - no I didn't contact CS, I uninstalled the software to check whether the problem would go away, which it did.

I intend reinstalling EAM soon and if the problem re occurs I will obviously contact CS and post here.

Thank you

John

Well I've uninstalled and re-installed EAM a couple of times - and the problem remains.

Things will be OK for a week then suddenly for no apparent reason (well apparent to me at least) the PC will not shut down.

I've uninstalled Avira and the problem remains.

I've uninstalled Comodo Firewall and the problem remains, just using the MS Firewall at the moment.

SO in desperation I've raised a ticket with EmsiSoft CS, we'll see what happens...

When you say it will not shut down, what stage does it stick at?

Do the icons go away?

Does the taskbar still remain? If so are you able to open taskmanager and see if it says what is not responding, or any other clues.

Does the Windows Event Viewer show anything?

Do you run MBAM in real-time ?(paid)

Sheep Expert - thanks for the input, my apologies for the delayed reply.

I click on 'start', 'turn off computer' them 'turn off' as usual.

The EmsiSoft icon disappears from the tray (bottom right), the computer remains on and is usable. All that appears to have happened is that EAM has closed down. I can then go to 'start', 'programmes' and re start EAM when it will run normally.

The Event Viewer will give an error message - Event 1073.

I don't think there's any relevant information available via the Task Manager, I'll check next time the problem arises.

MalwareBytes is running on demand only. It also updates on demand only.

There is no other AV software running, I have also removed Comodo firewall and am relying on MS XP's firewall only.

I am in contact with EmsiSoft about this and at present at their suggestion am running 'EAM enable debug ' and 'debug view' but unfortunately the shut down problem has now disapeared.. I know it wikll re-appear - it always does !!!

DeBug view is also giving problems as it ocasionally brings up the error 'unable to monitor Win32 debug output. The handle is invalid'

I'm hoping to get this sorted soon as I will need to renew my EAM sub otherwise it will be back to MalwareBytes and Avira...

Thanks again.

Well I've tried EAM 'again' and still experiencing shut down problems. On occasion I have come to use the PC in the morning only to find that it is still running from the previous day and has been on all night. Now all users must wait to check that the PC has properly shut down before leaving the room.

To essentially confirm that it was not my PC I uninstalled the software after which the PC shut down properly every time.

I installed the software on my laptop, a reasonably new Toshiba also running XP PRO - exactly the same result - intermittent shut down problems. Without EAM the laptop shuts down properly. I uninstalled it off the laptop and reinstalled it on my main PC. The problem returns. I have even downloaded another copy off the 'net with the same result.

I opened a ticked with Emsisoft but they were unable to resolve the problem and eventaully closed the ticket.

I later emailed them to say that the problem still existed and some weeks ago had the following reply:-

"Our developers are taking a look at the code that controls how Emsisoft Anti-Malware responds when Windows tries to shut down to see if there are any problems."

My present licence expires in 37 days so I will probably go back to using MalwareBytes and Avira which never gave these problems. I quite like EAM and would happily purchase another licence but really need the software to work as intended.

Reading through the Forums it's obvious this is not a new problem. I am aware that there are documented cases of shut down problems with Windows but I have never experienced any untill I installed EAM. Thank you to those on here who tried to help, it was appreciated.

I live in hope...

Just a follow on to my earlier posts regarding shut down problems when running EAM.

Windows Task Manager shows a2service as running and using 2,200k memory after an attempt is made to shut down the computer. The second attempt shuts down the computer normally.

Lately (for the last couple of weeks) the computer will start shutting down i.e. all the desktop icons disappears but the process then freezes. This is more problematical than the usual shut down problem as it is now not possible to shut down via 'start - shut off computer' as obviously these options are no longer on screen. It is then necessary to do a hard shut down, holding the computer's power button down untill the machine shuts down.

I have since completely uninstalled EAM and re-installed MalwareBytes AntiMalware and Avira AntiVirus and the computer is operating normally.

It's a pity that Emsisoft are unable to rectify this problem as it was initially highlighted a long time ago.

Again thanks to all those on here who attempted to help me with this problem.

Regards.

I have since completely uninstalled EAM and re-installed MalwareBytes AntiMalware and Avira AntiVirus and the computer is operating normally.

Sorry I didn't see this Topic earlier, as I had similar issues caused by MBAM Pro (paid) & Windows Defender!

MBAM Pro-

This isn't a real-time AV, and just dumb... locks down most system changes...!

Even if you Disable it in the GUI, it still monitors everything, and slows your system down about 10%!

Fix- The only way to completely uninstall MBAM Pro & not automatically reinstate full time license/run at startup, is to uninstall with their clean tool-

http://forums.malwar...23

Then just reinstall MBAM's Free on-demand only version, and Never register!

~~~~~

Windows Defender-

It still monitors everything, if simply Disabled at GUI, and Really slows your system if Any Options are still ticked...!

Fix (from memory, so fill in the...), is to untick All!-

Open WD, and temp re-enable.

Go to Options, and click/open Every Folder Option on Left.

Now untick Every box option on the Right (sometimes you have to go bottom Up to get grayed...). Also be sure to scroll down, as some are off the page!

Exit

Now go to services.msc (Search Box, or Windows Services), and Disable WD.

Done!

Note- Even if you don't give EAM another try, you should do this with Any computer configuration!

I just discovered this topic.

I am having the exact same problem.

Actually, I view it more as an inconvenience than a problem

I'm running a PC, Windows XP SP3, Online Armor Premium, several anti-malware programs such as Malwarebytes, but they're all run manually.

I also have Emsisoft Anti Malware 6.0.0.57. No other big anti-virus programs.

I've noticed recently that I have to shut down the computer twice.

This doesn't happen every time.

I never connected this to EAM before, but it does make sense.

It just started this year, after installing EAM.

I think this need looking into by Emsisoft.

Best wishes.

scottis & GregDashaway - thanks for your inputs. T

I tried Windows Defender on a number of computers and found it useless, I uninstalled it.

MalwareBytes I've always found to be pretty good, it's detection rates are similar to EAM, it sits there in the background doing it's thing and has never given me any problems. I also ran Avira AntiVirus for years, this is another programme that's proved totally reliable and has given me no problems. However I was drawn to EAM as I thought it would replace both MalwareBytes and Avira - one thing less going on...

I liked EAM - and still do - but I can't be doing with this shut down problem. I did open a ticket with them but I got nowhere. They have known about the problem for months so I'm not holding my breath that they will come up with a solution.... When I unistalled the software and installed it on my laptop it did 'exactly' the same - intermittent shut down problems.

For now I'll stick with MalwareBytes and Avira but should EmsiSoft manage to fix this problem I'll seriously consider re-installing EAM.

This thread is getting a bit long in the tooth but obviously some people still reading it - maybe EmsiSoft will...

Good Luck!

johnl,

I thought maybe the computer needed to be shut down twice because I was using an older version of EAM, so I updated to 6.5.0.11 last weekend.

Then I noticed that EAM is blocking a lot of websites on Internet Explorer 8, including our children's state college savings website.

So I left EAM installed, but I turned off all its functions.

The state college savings website now appears.

However, last night when I tried to shut down the computer, I got the new problem that you mention.

I shut down once, and all the icons disappeared from the screen.

The screen was just blank.

I thought the computer had died, so I pressed the on button to force a shutdown.

Suddenly, the computer went to the "windows is shutting down" screen, and it shut down normally.

This is disturbing, because the computer is demanding to be shut down twice, but it's difficult to do it the second time because the screen is blank, and there are no onscreen buttons to press.

EAM appears to be causing this.

I just wanted to let you know that this new problem you described had happened to me.

Best wishes.

This thread is getting a bit long in the tooth but obviously some people still reading it - maybe EmsiSoft will...

My apologies for not taking a look at this earlier. When I saw that someone else was helping you, I made the mistake of assuming that your issue was being taken care of.

In order to find out what is going on, our developers are going to need to see DebugView logs. They may also request more information if the problem is not apparent in the logs. Obviously Emsisoft Anti-Malware would need to be installed in order for this to work, so let me know if you wish to help us debug this issue and I'll post instructions for you.