Interferes with control panel

I'm having another family member try out OA. We downloaded the premium as test to see if he'd like it. It works as my older version does, but it has knocked out all parts of the control panel. We just get an error message that we can't run add/remove programs, etc. If we turn OA off, it works.

The user is running XP home sp2. Why that wasn't fixed to 3 I'm not sure. The tech can't update the service patch.

I do have an older version that is running on a laptop with the same configuration. (Can't be updated, either.) I'm not having any problems. How long can you get updates for the older versions? I have the setup file for V4 saved.

Neither one of us wants to even bother with updating to W7 so that's out of the loop. We'd have to upgrade components also. I'll switch mine to Linux, as I don't like MS policies and extra crap they add. Don't know what other user will do unless TurboTax requires it. I just took specialty software XP computers offline, so they don't need protection.

If V4 will run - can we trial that? and will it update? If other user upgrades to W7, can he update to V5?

Also - how do you turn off the allow/block dialog if you opened it in error? If I can't identify a file, I usually try to right click to get enough info to Google the file. OA will pop up and ask allow/block. I don't want OA doing anything until I figure out what the file is. There is no option to close that box and do nothing.

Thanks,

Weezy

Hi weezyrider,

I'm having another family member try out OA. We downloaded the premium as test to see if he'd like it. It works as my older version does, but it has knocked out all parts of the control panel. We just get an error message that we can't run add/remove programs, etc. If we turn OA off, it works.

The user is running XP home sp2. Why that wasn't fixed to 3 I'm not sure. The tech can't update the service patch.

Does OA's History show anything being blocked at the time? What exactly do you mean by "knocked out the control panel"? Does the problem only occur if you are trying to use the Control Panel?

How long can you get updates for the older versions? I have the setup file for V4 saved.

There are no updates for v4 anymore since v5 is what is being currently developed. You can still use it as is though of course.

Also - how do you turn off the allow/block dialog if you opened it in error? If I can't identify a file, I usually try to right click to get enough info to Google the file. OA will pop up and ask allow/block. I don't want OA doing anything until I figure out what the file is. There is no option to close that box and do nothing.

You can either Allow or Block without remembering the decision if you don't want to make a permanent choice at the time.

The history shows nothing blocked - we looked though all the panels and .cpl files were not listed anywhere. He was logged on as admin when we did the learning session. Nothing in control panel would open. Couldn't even open the mouse control which should be available to all. Just got a windows error. Everything else seemed OK - Eset didn't complain. Browsers worked, just couldn't use the control panel. Trying to use add/delete programs. Turned off each module (web, program, etc.) one by one didn't solve the problem. Had to shut down OA totally to use control panel.

Weezy

Yes, we did use trust everything. We had just cleaned some malware off and had been scanning with MBAM, ESET, etc for 2 days. Dug bits and pieces of malware out of registry, too. I had a list of what to remove. The bits were under Search Assistant. Nothing showed up in any scan.

He was using ZA free, and that let part of the problem in.