Confusion about number of subscription days left on OA++

Hi, I hope this isn't a dumb question. Originally I had Online Armour Premium which I had bought around the end of June/early July 2010. In January 2011, I upgraded to OA++ because I wanted the anti-virus package as well. I entered the new license key from the email I had received following this upgrade and then have been able to use the Anti-Virus part of the package. My License Expiry on my firewall changed the number of days so that it would expire in January 2012.

I have received a couple of emails in the past month or so from Emisoft about my need to renew my subscription including one in the past few days saying my subscription expires in 15 days even though my firewall said 195 days. So I renewed the OA++ license key (not the old premium license key) a few minutes ago (afraid that my firewall would cease working if I didn't), activated the key again from the email I just received on my firewall where you activate the key, and now my license expiry says 560 days on my firewall - obviously the 195 days + 1 year of 365 days. Considering that my original OA Premium firewall should be due to expire in June/July, that sort of made sense, and I assume that when I upgraded to OA++, I paid the pro-rata cost for 6 months until my firewall subscription would have expired in June/July 2011 (ie: now).

I am confused as to how my firewall is calculating the days left on my OA++ License. It should read 365 days now that I have renewed (shouldn't it??) :huh: . Or will the anti-virus part of the package stop working in January 2012 (when it would be 12 months since I upgraded to OA++ from OA Premium) - and will I receive an email saying that I should renew it? How can I reset the License expiry to show 365 days and not 560 days? My firewall definitely says OA++ - I didn't renew the old license which was only the OA Premium version.

Can anyone please help? :) I haven't a clue what to do. It is all so confusing. :unsure:

Jocelyn

System: Windows XP Home Service Pack 3, Mozilla Firefox browser 5.0, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (free version) datebase version 6900 - fingerprints loaded 321621.

Hi Jocelyn,

Is your license a multi-user license (ie for 3 users or 5 users)? If so, have you ever reset your key from the user area?

When I originally purchased OA Premium, it was for 3 users because we have 2 computers - and I last purchased the OA in July 2010 and had the same key activated in both computers. When I upgraded to OA++ to get the Anti-Virus in January 2011, I assumed that it would still be for 3 users (somehow I messed up somewhere along the process but didn't realise until I did the next step). I put the new key that I was emailed into my firewall where you activate it. But when I tried to activate the SAME key into my other computer, it wouldn't accept it and came up with some message (which I can't remember now as it was 6 months ago) but obviously it was to do with being valid for 1 computer/user only. I ended up purchasing another OA++ for this other computer so this now (obviously) has a separate key as at the time, I had to have that computer able to be used within the hour and didn't have time to get on this forum and ask what else I could do - it was unfortunately a matter of urgency for my partner to be able to use it.

So in my Members area, I have now have 3 license keys - one for my partner's computer which has OA++ installed, and two others as follows:

1 is for when I first installed OA Premium in July 2009 - update expiration 7th July 2011 with the renew column ticked + the upgrade column ticked. This license number is my OLD one from when I first had just the OA Premium.

The 2nd is Online Armor AV+, first installed 5th Jan, 2011 - update expiration 4th Jan, 2013 with just the renew column ticked. This 2nd license number is what I have now on my OA++ version.

The reset columns for all 3 of these licenses have 3 red crosses. What do I do to reset the number? I am a little unsure what to press as I don't want to mess up more than I already have.

Sorry for the long-winded reply - just kinda trying to explain what happened along my journey so it makes some sort of sense (well, I hope so anyway). :blink::unsure:

Jocelyn

Thanks for your help

So in my Members area, I have now have 3 license keys, the reset columns for all 3 of these licenses have 3 red crosses.

You don't want to do anything. The red X shows that the licence has been used on one (or more) PC(s).

You would only want to reset the licence if you wanted to switch the licence from PC 'A' to PC 'B', such as buying a new PC that replaces the old PC or if you changed your OS (XP to W7, etc.) or if you made significant hardware changes to your PC (a new disk drive makes OA think it's a new PC).

The Premium licence need not be reset since you have replaced it with the two ++ licences and it's about to expire anyway.

You do not want to reset either ++ licence because by doing so you'd invalidate the use of ++ on the corresponding computer and then you'd have to re-enter the licence in OA to reactivate it.

Now to explain how you ended up with 3 licences...

There is no option to convert an existing Premium licence to a ++ licence.

There is an option to renew, which 'adds more time to' an existing licence.

You purchased:

- licence 1 in July 2010, Premium, for 3 PCs for 1 year, about to expire

- licence 2 in Jan. 2011, ++....., for 1 PC for 1 year, overlaps licence 1 for ~6 months,

- licence 3 in Jan. 2011, ++....., for 1 PC for 1 year, overlaps licence 1 for ~6 months.

You want(ed) one licence, for ++ for 3 PCs for 1 year.

The auto-renewal e-mail was for the Premium which triggered you to renew (extend) the ++ licence 2. (Which is, in a way, good, because you certainly didn't want to extend the Premium...)

I haven't attempted to do the math re: the unused value of the Premium following the purchase of the ++ licences or for the difference re: purchasing two separate ++ licences vs the bundle of 3, but if you feel that it's significant, an appeal through Emsi support for a credit might be possible.

Emsisoft might even consider offering a Conversion option in the future, for people like you that would like to convert and go with a 'single source'.

For example of how this could work:

1) Select the Conversion option, (1, 2, 3 years, for 'x' PCs)

2) enter the existing licence or licences,

3) the computer presents the net cost,

4) the customer accepts and it's done.

The conversion would begin a new contract, at the full price for the new choice LESS the unused value of the licence(s) prior to conversion.

This would allow customers to feel comfortable by starting with a Premium licence for 1 PC for 1 year and then easily converting to ++ for 3 PCs for 3 years, etc.

It would be a win-win for Emsisoft too. No need to manually deal with individual appeals such as you may make.

Hi Jocelyn,

Do you still have the email you received? In the email should be the line "Click here to take you to the members area to renew:" followed by a hyperlink to the User Area. In that hyperlink you can see the license key number for the license that the expiry email is referring to (you can then match this to the license keys you have listed in the User Area).

If you see that the number in this email is for the old about to expire license that you no longer wish to use, you can click the link towards the bottom of the email where it says "Don't Remind me again. If you no longer wish to receive alerts about this licence please click here." That way you will only receive emails about the other two licenses which you are still using.

The license you renewed would appear to be this one, which since it wasn't due to expire for some time yet, has just had the renewal added to the 195 days you still had left.

The 2nd is Online Armor AV+, first installed 5th Jan, 2011 - update expiration 4th Jan, 2013 with just the renew column ticked. This 2nd license number is what I have now on my OA++ version.

PS...My question about resetting the key is no longer relevant. The further information you've provided has pieced together the cause and taking this into account there is actually nothing incorrect about the time listed on that license.

Hi Jocelyn,

Do you still have the email you received? In the email should be the line "Click here to take you to the members area to renew:" followed by a hyperlink to the User Area. In that hyperlink you can see the license key number for the license that the expiry email is referring to (you can then match this to the license keys you have listed in the User Area).

If you see that the number in this email is for the old about to expire license that you no longer wish to use, you can click the link towards the bottom of the email where it says "Don't Remind me again. If you no longer wish to receive alerts about this licence please click here." That way you will only receive emails about the other two licenses which you are still using.

The license you renewed would appear to be this one, which since it wasn't due to expire for some time yet, has just had the renewal added to the 195 days you still had left.

PS...My question about resetting the key is no longer relevant. The further information you've provided has pieced together the cause and taking this into account there is actually nothing incorrect about the time listed on that license.

Yes, I do have the original EMail which now that I look at it, was for my original OA Premium License key. However, when I renewed my OA++ subscription a few days ago now - instead of just following the link in the email, I logged into the Members area first and chose to renew the License key that I currently was using with my OA++. So glad I checked first instead of renewing the wrong key and just having OA Premium!

As I just received another email today with this old license OA Premium key, I will click on the "don't remind me again" part so I stop receving the emails for this old . Thanks catprincess :thumbs:

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about claiming credit - but JWC, I really appreciate the explanation. Having a Firewall that works so well and is reliable, user-friendly and makes me a happy computer user is worth the extra money that I paid :D I went nuts before OA came into my life :wacko:

One thing that puzzles me though: when I decided to upgrade my OA Premium in Jan 2011 which was licensed for 3 users as we have 2 computers, why did the upgrade for going to OA++ that I clicked on in the Members Area only upgrade for one user only instead of 3? Does it default to only 1 computer user? Or did I mess up somewhere along the line when I paid and only paid for one user by mistake :huh: ? Just curious..... I do like the conversion option that you mentioned JWC - sounds like a win-win for everyone!

Thanks JWC and catprincess You guys rock!!

Jocelyn