davwar

Can't restart internet access

Hi - I've just installed Online Armor Free V5 for the first time.

My searches didn't show this topic so I'll start a new topic.

I regularly need to stop all internet access.

After the internet is working fine:

I stop the network access by right-click on the notification tray icon and select "block all network traffic" - it then shows a padlock over the OA icon. [good so far]

To restart the connection I do the same procedure - but it doesn't work.

My network connection icon always then shows no connection - no matter how long I wait.

The network repair function gives the following error:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Repair Local Area Connection

Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed:

Renewing your IP address

For assistance, contact the person who manages your network.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The only way I have found to get internet access back is to reboot. [a bit frustrating]

Any suggestions??

Thankyou

XP-SP3 32bit, Avast-AV, OA-Free

Hi davwar,

Do you see rules present under Firewall -> Rules -> Ports for svchost for port 67 and 68? If you enable logging for "Blocked events" under Options -> Firewall and check the Firewall log window, do any blocked entries show up at the time?

PS. to my first message: When I un-"block all network traffic" the little padlock does go away from the OA icon.

Yes I do see ports 67 and 68 listed under "Firewall -> Rules -> Ports for svchost for port 67 and 68"

After enabling logging for "Blocked events" under Options -> Firewall, there are no blocked entries reported after multiple occurrences of the problem.

I have now determined that:

When I have the fault condition -> if I right-click the OA icon and then un-tick(check) the "Firewall" selection (eg disable the firewall component) I am able to immediately 'repair' the windows network connection OR it re-connects itself normally after some time.

So to summarise: with the OA firewall component active, the windows network connection is unable to reconnect after having been blocked within OA.

Thank you for any further help.