Sign in to follow this  
trujwin

Can programs be allowed to make a connection

In WIN 7 there is an embarrassment of some programs attempting to open the dialup dialogue box when it does not find a Broadband or other connection on. Should not that be a security permission to be taken care of by OA. I have attached a firewall test snap, where at DNS test it opens the dialogue.Only on "Cancel" the dialogue , the test proceeds further.However OA returns a 340/340 score.

This happens with some genuine programs as well.

This isn't actually related to OA :) With no internet connection actually present, no DNS lookup could occur until there was a connection so there is nothing for OA to Block at this point.

I'm not sure exactly where it's located in Windows 7, but on XP there is a "Internet Options" icon in the Control Panel. If you go into this section and click the "Connections" tab it lists all your connections. If you select your dial up connection there, there are radio boxes below for options including "Dial whenever a network connection is not present". With this option is selected, if a connection is needed and Windows can't find an already usable connection, then it will offer to dial this connection.

Edit: In Windows 7, in the Control Panel, I think you have to go into the "Network and Sharing Center" and then into "Change Adapter Settings". You should be able to see and set what I described above by opening just IE though, and going to Tools -> Internet Options.

GOTCHA! Thanks! :thumbs: The options you mentioned in XP and Win 7 Control panel I was not able to find.I went to IE and got this "Never dial a connection" ticked. Would you be able to post screen shots of the CONTROL PANEL options which you have mentioned??

Edit: In Windows 7, in the Control Panel, I think you have to go into the "Network and Sharing Center" and then into "Change Adapter Settings". You should be able to see and set what I described above by opening just IE though, and going to Tools -> Internet Options.

Please be careful about providing advice about W7 settings: they are different from those of XP. For example, what you have quoted can be dependent upon a number of other settings. I have no "network and sharing center" on my W7 PC; I have the relevant setting disabled. Furthermore, IE9 is different from IE8 (and earlier versions).

GOTCHA! Thanks! :thumbs: The options you mentioned in XP and Win 7 Control panel I was not able to find.I went to IE and got this "Never dial a connection" ticked. Would you be able to post screen shots of the CONTROL PANEL options which you have mentioned??

Are you still getting the dialup prompt after changing that setting? On a Windows 7 forum here http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/97891-removing-annoying-dial-up-prompt.html changing this setting seemed to be all that was needed for another poster experiencing the same issue. If this doesn't help you could post on a forum like that one and I'm sure someone will be able to help you find a solution :)