Blank screen on log-in

Hi Green Bay Packers, welcome to the forum

Can you please be more specific about “upon installing it” and then “every time I log in to my account”. That is not clear

1) did the installation ended normally, including the offer to perform on-line update?

or

installation failed somehow? Any Error messages from the Software (EAM) or from the System? … In addition have a look into the Events logged by the System during the installation

2) As for “log in to my account”. Do you mean PC startup after Reboot with your User Account with limited rights?

3) Have you disabled MBAM real-time before the installation of EAM?

4) Have you installed EAM as Administrator? (which is recommended)

5)What would happen if you Reboot into Safe Mode. Would you still encounter similar delay?

6) Finally, at this stage, did you have any Security previously installed and not mentioned?

My regards

The installation ended perfectly, and I mean logging into my user account. I don't have Malwarebytes' Real-time, and I did not install as administrator. I USED to have Comodo Internet Security 5.5, but I did not have any problems. I am also sure that I do NOT have any virus on my computer, as I have not went on any sites that are considered "dangerous" and have not downloaded anything besides Emsisoft-Anti Malware for the past months..

Thanks for the reply, Green Bay Packers

At this stage I did not ask about your downloading habits , neither I suspected any malware present ... yet ;), so don't worry.

We just want to find out what is wrong when you are "logging into my user account"

Thanks for confirming that and the fact that MBAM is "on-demand only"

At the same time you did not answer the question about Safe Mode

Plus thanks again for confirming using other security in the past

I'm using Comodo (firewall only ...old version though, see my signature)

Well, it is a known fact that Comodo as many other Security may not be uninstalled perfectly and most of them need (and have) special Removal Utilities

In the past I personally was involved in finding bugs regarding the mater communicating with Comodo developers.

Therefore, I would suggest to check that thoroughly - there many be leftovers that can interfere

Look into devices in the 1st place (use View > "Show hidden..." > Non-Plug and Play Drivers)

My regards

1st –

what's the windows explorer integregation?
If checked, an additional Right-Click menu option will be added to ("integrated" with) Windows Explorer, which allows you to scan separate folders/files whenever you want to.

======= Returning to the original post and the issue.

You stated that the issue emerged after EAM's installation

Basically, replying “let's just say it's neither COMODO or Emsisoft's problem...” cannot lead us to the solution, since we cannot afford any assumptions in this business.

Therefore, there were few questions that were not answered

What about Safe Mode?

What about reinstalling EAM as Admin and then trying to logg-in as Administrator?

Then in EAM you may try as experiments (one by one):

- uncheck “Enable EAM on srartup” & Reboot. Sill having such delay?

- Guard > FileGuard > uncheck “Protect PC even no user is logged on”. Any improvements?

=======

Other than that it may relate to your system settings that we don't know … like:

- try to reduce any additional processes that set as running on startup

Do not use MSCofig for that. Use Utility like Autoruns ;

- you can obviously ease the load at the Reboot by “Disabling” or setting to “Manual” dozens of unneeded services that are set as “Automatic”

Have a look at this site and follow the instructions. In your case choose an appropriate link for XP , meaning that you did not stated Service Pack (2 or 3?). Be attentive, patient and do it one by one;

- another great Utility that you can use in addition is XP-AntiSpy

- Irrespectively whether you will consider going trough the above or not - disable “Fast User Switching” service. Nothing except troubles are coming with this service … unless... you do know for sure that you need it & why

My regards

Explorer integration integrates shortcuts to EAM scan commands into the right-click context menu when using Explorer (My Computer/Computer).

What are your system specs - particularly RAM and CPU? Do you have the max amount of RAM installed that your machine can take? Is there anything else apart from MBAM that is installed? Do you have a lot of startups (check MSCONFIG for this)?

There could be any number of factors causing this, so we can try to eliminate them first.

[Edit]

Lynx and I were typing at the same time... again...

[Edit] Lynx and I were typing at the same time... again...

Not a problem at all as we do that for many years already :P

The problem is a "black screen" for 20 seconds delay reported by the Original Poster

No way that's ever happening here after all amendments I've made to the system as posted above.

~70 or more services are disabled, most of which are MS Services, that are still considered being security risks ... no matter what

As you know, Mamutu & EAM (both full packages / whether stable or beta) were and are tested thoroughly on XP and on Win7 x64

There is never "black screen" and 20sec delay - that must be a big concern indeed

The latest reboots:

Win 7 x64 with EAM internal beta v6 - practically no time before the "password screen" appears ;

XP Pro, whether it's EAM or Mamutu:

- 7sec before "Welcome Screen";

- 10- max 13sec & all icons are in place, including the fact that I'm using XP with many Vista/Win7 appearances tweaks;

- sure, there are another ~5- seconds before Compdo Firewall/EAM/AVG icons appear in the SysTray, but there is no "black screen" & I can start RocketDock/Firefox/Outlook Express way before that

My regards

Not a problem at all as we do that for many years already :P

The problem is a "black screen" for 20 seconds delay reported by the Original Poster

No way that's ever happening here after all amendments I've made to the system as posted above.

~70 or more services are disabled, most of which are MS Services, that are still considered being security risks ... no matter what

As you know, Mamutu & EAM (both full packages / whether stable or beta) were and are tested thoroughly on XP and on Win7 x64

There is never "black screen" and 20sec delay - that must be a big concern indeed

The latest reboots:

Win 7 x64 with EAM internal beta v6 - practically no time before the "password screen" appears ;

XP Pro, whether it's EAM or Mamutu:

- 7sec before "Welcome Screen";

- 10- max 13sec & all icons are in place, including the fact that I'm using XP with many Vista/Win7 appearances tweaks;

- sure, there are another ~5- seconds before Compdo Firewall/EAM/AVG icons appear in the SysTray, but there is no "black screen" & I can start RocketDock/Firefox/Outlook Express way before that

My regards

ok, what i meant by blank screen was just that there weren't icons, everything else was there. I tried not starting Emsisoft, and the problem was still there. I have the problem "10- max 13sec & all icons are in place, including the fact that I'm using XP with many Vista/Win7 appearances tweaks;" like you said.