OA slowed down browsing too much

Examined using the internet via Firefox browser with and without OA and I found the firewall greatly reduces browser speed. No sense in having a high speed internet connect when the firewall software brings you down to a 56K modem. Note that Windows firewall was not on when using OA. Also I did make Firefox.exe a trusted program. There was obviously something the firewall decided it need to bog down and examine but I could not figure out what it was to trust it.

Other notes:

Using Avast as my AV

Win XP SP3

Cisco router/modem

Removal of OA brought my web surfing speed back to normal.

Interesting. When I have done speed checks on Firefox using OA, Windows Firewall or another firewall/HIPS app I haven't seen any degradation in my speed.

(And I am running XP Pro SP3 as is my better half. The same is true on her system.)

Perhaps there is some other conflict? (Have you excluded the antivirus from OA and vice versa?)

Though Avast runs numerous exes I do believe I trusted them all. I haven't seen any pop up notifications. I went through the wizard and "learn" function, don't know what I did wrong, can't figure out what I need to change in the firewall to get my browser speed up.

If you do a search in this forum on "Avast" you'll find numerous threads by folks using that AV and the steps necessary to exclude the particular processes of Avast within OA and vice versa.

(Within OA you'd go to "Options" - "Exclusions" and then add them. This will greatly reduce the chance of the two programs conflicting with one another.)

Then within the Avast user interface you'd do the same and exclude the Online Armor folder.

Reinstalled OA and went through the whole set up again. I also made an exclusion in Avast (though I believe it only works for manual and scheduled scans). I added Firefox folder to OA exclusions. I don't think there is any conflict here. Still my internet browsing is slowed down, OA is obviously the cause as my browsing sped up the second I uninstalled it. Shutting off web shield does nothing.

I can't seem to make OA work without suffering slow browser speed. Only thing I can think of is perhaps something to do with my modem/router + OA.

Reinstalled OA and went through the whole set up again. I also made an exclusion in Avast (though I believe it only works for manual and scheduled scans).

You need to add OA as an exclusion in multiple areas of Avast (Under Settings -> Exclusions and also under Real Time Shields and Behavior Shield)