Douglas

Mamutu vs Chrome

Hi,

Mamutu (last version) is not playing well with my Chrome (last version). I use Windows 7 x64. Strangely was ok yesterday. Nothing changed since then. No new softwares installed.

What happen is that Chrome is useless when Mamutu is on. Can't search, can't open any pages. The browser opens, but that's all.

Was working yesterday. Chrome wasn't updated.

Now I put Chrome and wowhelper.exe in the green list (excluded from monitoring) and nothing changed.

I thing when Mamutu see something wrong, is suppose to warn me, so I decide if I allow or not. This is happening for other programs, and it happens for Chrome and wowhelper yesterday. I allow specific actions.

Now I just allowed everything and still not working.

Any advise?

Hi Douglas, welcome to the forum

The latest Chrome stable version is 12.0.742.122 (correct me if I'm wrong)

I was working with Chrome this morning on Win7 x64 and everything was fine

Few suggestions in order to test:

- Without uninstalling your Chrome you can download portable version and run it from USB Stick or you may even install it on hard drive. Use any directory. Removing it - is just deleting installation folder you system/registry/etc. are not “touched”, so to speak

Point is , you can start another instance of Chrome. Since it;'s different Application (& different location) you have to be Alerted in the 1st place especially when you run Mamutu in Paranoid mode.

In any case just check the rules and exclude if you want (I have it being "monitored")

Then you can test it with no extensions installed as a matter of fact.

- Another things to try is running Chrome without Sandbox and/or PlugIns. There were problems with sandboxing in the past ,which were fixed by Chrome developers, but anyway worth checking (separately)

So, just find shortcut and add the following parameters to the Target: after ...\chrome.exe

--no-sandbox” or ”--no-process-plugins” (no quotes but double-dash is important)

My regards

p.s. I cannot tell anything about “wowhelper“, but the issue seems to be unrelated to Chrome.

And then despite, it is standalone exe, from what I read I cannot test it, since Win7 PC is not available here at the moment

I don't understand why I need to make those tests. Doesn't make any sense.

As I said, Chrome (yes, version 12) is being blocked by Mamutu, and I'm not getting any alert. AND, as I said Chrome and WOWhelper (which is the program responsible for instant search) is in the exceptions list.

So, now I put both to be monitored, but I allow everything. Now it's working. So, or I misunderstood what exception list is, or something is wrong with Mamutu.

I don't feel ok to allow Chrome to do everything in my computer. Because some kind of malware can take control over it and it will do everything and Mamutu won't alert me. Do I really need to allow Chrome everything? Does anybody in this forum use Chrome as well? What kind of rule did you establish for your Chrome exe and related exes?

Actually I excluded Chrome from the protection (exceptions list) because that was the suggestion from the community. When you right-click on Chrome exe and go to Request suggestion. (Being exclude from protection or have a rule that allow everything is not the same thing?)

I think I know what happened. When I execute Chrome for the first time with Mamutu on, Mamutu alert me about what he was trying to do. Then I created a rule allowing that specific action. Then, as I use the browser, Chrome needed to do other things and Mamutu just used the rule I created and did not alert me about new actions, just blocked. So if a program need to be allowed to do more than 1 thing on that rule list, you need to know at first time, otherwise Mamutu will block it and won't alert because there is already a rule for that program. Am I right?

To sum up, I just need to know if "Being exclude from protection or have a rule that allow everything is the same thing?"

Yes, they are the same thing.

The tests were so that you could make sure a second instance of Chrome worked fine. There was actually quite a lot of sense to Lynx's response.

However, as you have discovered, once you set a rule to monitor (or not), a process, anything done by that process is controlled by that rule. Be assured, however, that if anything unexpected happens (i.e. Chrome starts accessing memory it shouldn't or does anything out of character), Mamutu will alert you to the unexpected behaviour.

Yes, they are the same thing.

If they are the same thing, why mine doesn't work? If I create a rule to allow everything it works, if I put in exceptions list it doesn't work.

However, as you have discovered, once you set a rule to monitor (or not), a process, anything done by that process is controlled by that rule. Be assured, however, that if anything unexpected happens (i.e. Chrome starts accessing memory it shouldn't or does anything out of character), Mamutu will alert you to the unexpected behaviour.

Really? Even if I create a rule that allow everything?

Greetings, guys!

The tests were so that you could make sure a second instance of Chrome worked fine. There was actually quite a lot of sense to Lynx's response
Thanks, H_D

Here are expected Alerts, when existing rules were removed:

thumb_3283018MamutuChromeAlert__1.png please pay attention to “Advanced settings” as well

thumb_7378446MamutuChromeAlert__2.png

...Chrome (yes, version 12) is being blocked by Mamutu, and I'm not getting any alert.

1st, “yes version 12” is not enough – I specifically posted the exact version and asked to correct me if I'm wrong. If the precise(!) number is different “just a bit” our tests – mean nothing (stressing)

As for the “silent rule creation” you may consider the following settings:

thumb_2854146No_Automatic_Rule_Creation.png which disables any Automatic Rule creation (sure, you may not want “Paranoid mode” in place as stated above – that's your choice)

now I put both to be monitored, but I allow everything. Now it's working.
Good! … as expected :thumbs:
I don't feel ok to allow Chrome to do everything in my computer...
… and further in order to shorten the quote....

As in previous reply and what was confirmed by H_D: If you are Monitoring and even Excluding specific executable that does not mean that any Child process, created by the Parent will not be picked up by Mamutu upon execution if found suspicious - you will be alerted.

PlugIns as an example thumb_2810918PlugInsAlert.png<--Click & that is why (whether it did not make sense, as you stated) I've mentioned the test without PlugIns … many dots … ;)

My regards

p.s.

Actually I excluded Chrome from the protection (exceptions list) because that was the suggestion from the community. When you right-click on Chrome exe and go to Request suggestion.
the community rules and suggested settings were mentioned above, but honestly I do not understand what you mean by “right-click on Chrome.exe” & what is an "exception list" in Mamutu? Right-clicking where? ...probably I had too much coffee this morning :rolleyes: Cheers!

p.s. the community rules and suggested settings were mentioned above, but honestly I do not understand what you mean by “right-click on Chrome.exe” & what is an "exception list" in Mamutu? Right-clicking where? ...probably I had too much coffee this morning :rolleyes: Cheers!

Go to Active Programs, right-click on the exe and go to Request Suggestion. I'm not sure if the names are exactly this, I'm translating from another language to English, because Mamutu is not in English to me.

Go to Active Programs, right-click...
Thanks for clarifying that, Douglas.

You didn't mention “Active Processes” initially and I missed the point, since that part not used by me very often.

Cheers!

Good.

My Chrome takes 5secs to start. A new tab would take 3secs. Without Mamutu its instantaneous. Is that normal? I see it's Mamutu because the a2sevice.exe is consuming CPU.

Maybe I can somehow improve this. I find nothing searching Mamutu and Chrome. Seems that a few people use Mamutu with Chrome or they just have no issues with it.